Gone: Downing shows real loyalty to us

andykeenan

• Replies 4.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It's all easy and well saying he can be replaced and that we'd get a good deal for £20m but my concern is...

a) can mcleish really find these replacements? let's be honest here.. I certainly have my doubts.

B) why do we assume he will be given the full amount of both AY and Downing sales? I have my doubts they would give him the full amount..

Also as a club we will be very stupid to let him go before replacements have arrived.

A) Agreed.

B) We should get enough to replace them imo, it's up to the manager to get the right quality though!

We may have a replacement lined up if the Vital Wigan story this morning was true ;)

The biggest bug bear once again if true, we let players go before replacements arrive, its pretty crappy if we lose both of our most creative players in one summer. What must a certain darren bent be feeling. He must have been convinced we were a club going places in January, what has changed.

The biggest problem with Downing going is the message it sends out coming so soon after Young left and the underwhelming appointment of McLeish. If a player is ambitious they are going to think twice about joining us right now, and understandably so. I think that could really hinder us in the transfer market.

However, we have the England Forward line and finish 9th, when was the last time that happened or anything close.

tear it apart and start again..... build the team around Bent.

The biggest problem with Downing going is the message it sends out coming so soon after Young left and the underwhelming appointment of McLeish. If a player is ambitious they are going to think twice about joining us right now, and understandably so. I think that could really hinder us in the transfer market.

I feel different, it sends out a bad message but not the same one.

Any player anyway is going to chose any of the other 6 over us, I think that's a given really.

However, if you was a player who was close to being picked up by big clubs but they just wouldn't pay the fee required on a gamble, then any player, you'd go to Villa, great pitch, generally decent results and regularly see people improve their games and then get a big move to one of the top teams.

so I don't think attracting players will be a problem but it's just the mentality side of things, instead of upcoming player or big players joining Villa to be successful, they will join Villa to improve their game and then look for the move to a bigger team.

Selling Downing (for anything less than silly money) would completely go against what McLeish is supposed to have said in his recent conflab with select fans and as such I'd very much question whether the club would do it even if he put in a transfer request.

It would be madness for them to do so. The powers that be would get crucified and McLeish's metaphorical honeymoon would be shorter than Faulkner's actual one appeared to be.

It may still happen; let's hope it doesn't.

Can't trust footballers these days. They see money and their opinion changes to whatever helps them get a pay day. No respect. We took him from Boro when he was injured and we gave him all the time in the world to recover. We showed the utmost respect for him so I expect the same.

If he does go, the board will take more stick.

If he is sold then you can bet your bottom Dollar that RL is planning to be fairly close behind him.

Possible phrase's required for the 2012/13 season:

No 1. Salaam alaikum, Sheikh.

Could make for an interesting approach to crowd control..

The biggest problem with Downing going is the message it sends out coming so soon after Young left and the underwhelming appointment of McLeish. If a player is ambitious they are going to think twice about joining us right now, and understandably so. I think that could really hinder us in the transfer market.[/quote

The 'underwhelming' appointment of McLeish is irrelevant in my opinion. The only thing that would/maybe kept Downing at Villa would have been a take over by some crazy multi billionaire owner (like at citeh) and the appointment of Jose Mourinho as manager. We couldnt keep hold of Barry or Milner under O'Neill and he was by far the best manager we have had in a while.

We are a stepping stone for many players and thats just the way it is......

I'm not sure how to take this one.

If Downing wants to leave, then what can the club realistically do to keep him here? Put a $600mill price on his head and keep an unhappy player till they walk out on a free? How does that benefit us?

We are in the same situation we were in with Barry, Milner and now Young. Once they have made up their mind to go, then the best you can do is get the highest price you can.

On the other hand, letting him go does send a message not only to fans but to players: We cannot get you Europe/CL so feel free to walk at the faintest sniff.

We should let any player who does not want to play for the club leave on our terms. Otherwise they run their contracts down and we get dictated to. Anything over 18m for downing is daylight robbery, and if there is anyone else in the squad who wants off then get rid. We may have fallen in status and stature over last year or so but its still a **** priveledge to play for the villa and many players would chop off their right nut for a chance to play at our club and prove themselves at a higher level.

We should let any player who does not want to play for the club leave on our terms. Otherwise they run their contracts down and we get dictated to. Anything over 18m for downing is daylight robbery, and if there is anyone else in the squad who wants off then get rid. We may have fallen in status and stature over last year or so but its still a **** priveledge to play for the villa and many players would chop off their right nut for a chance to play at our club and prove themselves at a higher level.

We weren't a bigger club than Liverpool last year either - can't really blame him for wanting to go there, especially now that they have money to spend again.

I think 18mil is a good price for him and we can certainly replace him for that kind of money. 35mil in for him and Young will allow us to re-invigorate the whole squad.

Downing did do a bit of an about-turn but it happens so often in football these days, I'm not going to hold it against him. He's hardly a villa boy born in Lichfield, is he?

This is what happens when you try to save a few quid by not keeping players on long term contracts. No player in the first team squad should ever be allowed to get to the stage where they are in the last 24 months (or less with Young) of their contracts. It just hands the player all the power in negotiations....

Â