Gone: Downing shows real loyalty to us

andykeenan

• Replies 4.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

http://tinyurl.com/4zng2lw

Great read. Matt Kendrick is a credit to Birmingham Mail with his articles and connections to Villa, put it this way 10times better than Baggie Bill. Credit to Tim Abraham too if he's reading ;)

COMPLAINING about classy winger Stewart Downing’s tackling ability is a bit like criticising yummy actress Megan Fox’s culinary skills.

When someone is blessed with such sublime talents as Downing – and Fox – why dwell on their so-called deficiencies?Who cares if self-confessed food-phobe Fox’s figure is hotter than her cooking? Similarly, Downing’s brilliance is more important than his bravery.

There is far too much to commend the exciting Villa star to worry about his perceived lack of ball-winning bottle.Downing is among the claret and blues’ most consistent performers this season, both as a provider and a scorer.

But still there are grumbles that he doesn’t get stuck in enough when it comes to physical challenges.Isn’t it better to have a wide man who can cross two-footed rather than tackle two-footed?

Downing’s cracking curler in Saturday’s win over Blackburn took his season’s scoring tally to seven goals. He has also provided six Premier League assists. An entertainer with a sweet left foot and bright football brain should be forgiven for wasting the odd crossing or shooting opportunity.

There were fears in Downing’s and the Villa coaching staff’s minds that the fractured foot injury he arrived with, from which he has completely recovered, still weighed heavily on him.

His form proves that it’s no longer holding him back. Nor should his fractured relationship with some seemingly impossible-to-please claret and blue cynics.Anyway, I’m off to feast my eyes on Megan Fox’s tasty treats!

The above article confirms his lack of tackling which is OK but it should be noted he doesnt like being tackled. As some have mentioned and I did in this thread some time ago, without knowing I would say it is almost certainly down to the foot injury.

The article goes on to say 'cross two footed' and I'm not so sure of the right footd cross. Which doesnt matter really and I know that Houllier likes it to be narrow.

Then it goes on to say 'the odd wasted cross' and again thats ok but three free kicks against citeh and none on target.

His continued improvement and good form have made me become an admirer but free kicks on target please DJ.

Good article you're right Maradonna, well balanced and intelligent.

He never really put his foot through anything in a tackle and a broken foot has definitely played its part, many players go that way in many sports it is a good job he never relied on his 50/50 ball winning ability. Probably why we haven't seen him adopted as a central midfielder.

He has been spectacular this year, and if he'd use that right foot a little more we may have had a better goal difference.

Great outside of the foot usually sees him take a second touch but I think that lets too many defenders get back into position, I would like to see him chucking in balls with his right foot a little more than he currently does but he does make some great decisions.

I think the goal against Blackburn shows he has grown in confidence and believes in his ability to shoot, seemingly trying that shot or cross a lot of the time.

A few more games like this and we perhaps can see Capello gambling on his quality.....

I think he needs a chant or something, i'm sick of hearing the people around me shouting Downing is shit etc even though he has been one of our best players.

Amen to that!!

How about to the "du du du du, f*ckin' useless".. tune...

Du, du, du, du, DJ Downing

Du, du, du, du, DJ Downing

?

Though it's not the strongest of chants. Downing definatly needs one. He's probably our most consistent player this year and get's nothing, not even when he scores.

agreed, it's a shame Downing doesn't get much recognition from the stands

People say he can't tackle, but his awareness defensively is superb. He always give his fullback excellent protection, as he is clever with his positioning and when to run with the ball and leave his fullback isolated. One game in particular was Chelsea away, he was fantastic that day dealing with Cole, didn't let him run with it past the halfway line which gave Cuellar an easier time dealing with Malouda.

An England footballer told a jury today how he discovered hundreds of thousands of pounds missing from a bank account, allegedly "siphoned" off by his "dishonest" agent.

Stewart Downing, 26, told York Crown Court how he discovered just £11,000 in one of his business accounts.

The former Middlesbrough FC midfielder told the jury the account should have had £600,000 to £700,000 in it.

The court was told the money was allegedly siphoned off by his agent Ian Elliott to prop up his failing business projects.

The court heard Elliott, 53, had represented Downing since he signed his first contract with the North East side aged 15.

He told the court he trusted Elliott with all his business dealings, but the relationship turned sour in January 2007 when Tottenham Hotspur were said to be interested in the player during the Premier League's transfer window.

The court was told Elliott had leaked details of Tottenham's interest on a local radio station.

Downing told the court he was content to stay at Middlesbrough and he didn't want to move and was unhappy Elliott had talked about it in public.

He described the transfer speculation as "unsettling" and he said he no longer trusted his agent and he decided to check a bank account, trading as Stewart Downing Promotions Ltd.

He told the court: "I discovered a lot of money missing."

The court was told Downing, who now plays for Aston Villa, had trusted Elliott with all his contract negotiations at Middlesbrough, including image rights.

In 2004 Downing was paid £11,000 a week basic salary and in 2006 he was paid £1 million for image rights, the court was told.

He told the court he never read his contracts while Elliott was in charge of his affairs.

He told the court: "I relied on him to do most things on the business side."

It alleged Elliott also acted as agent for Middlesbrough FC, while also acting for Downing during contract negotiations, something described in court as a "conflict of interest" and against Football Association rules.

Downing told the court he was not aware Elliott had become a director of his limited company and believed he was a company secretary.

Prosecuting Christopher Attwooll told the jury: "The Crown allege the defendant dishonestly managed Stewart Downing's affairs for his own financial gain.

"He abused the trust put in him by manipulating the player's professional life and in doing so he siphoned off a lot of money into his own failing business projects."

It is alleged that Elliott committed fraud by:

:: Falsely claiming Downing consented to him becoming a director of Stewart Downing Promotions Ltd.

:: Requiring Downing to sign a two-year contract without telling him that its terms were inconsistent with an earlier contract.

:: Creating a consultancy agreement that purported to entitle Elliott to £100,000 per year, backdated to 2004.

:: Creating false invoices for money supposedly owed by Stewart Downing Promotions Ltd to two companies, Elliott Sports Management Ltd and Waveclean Ltd, trading as ESM Interiors.

Elliott, of Foxhills Covert, Newcastle, denies all the charges.

The trial, which is expected to last three weeks, was adjourned until tomorrow.

http://tinyurl.com/6b2944g

Great so that's Dunne (Driving?) (?), MON (?), Carew and now Downing who have all been to court recently :lol: ?

He told the court he never read his contracts while Elliott was in charge of his affairs.

He told the court: "I relied on him to do most things on the business side."

Homer-head-slap_15012.jpg

Stewart Downing, 26, told York Crown Court how he discovered just £11,000 in one of his business accounts.

The former Middlesbrough FC midfielder told the jury the account should have had £600,000 to £700,000 in it.

Flippin' 'eck. Quite a lot of money to go missing for a while without you noticing.

Stewart Downing of Aston Villa has revealed his spending habits to a jury. The England winger, 26, was giving evidence on the second day of the trial of his former agent, who is accused of fraud.

York Crown Court heard how the former agent, Ian Elliott, allegedly siphoned large amounts of money from one of Downing's bank accounts, in order to prop up his failing business projects. Downing confirmed that an account had more than £2m going through it. He also confirmed that £136,000 had left the account, to pay for a variety of luxury items.

As well as a home cinema, for £45,000, he spent £30,000 on a home extension, £6,000 on a walk-in wardrobe and £45,000 on a conservatory. Other expenditure included £6,000 on a bathroom. He also gave his family £180,000 over a number of years, the jury was told. The former Middlesbrough midfielder told the jury that the account in question should have had £600,000 to £700,000 in it from his earnings. He said a firm of accountants discovered just £11,000 in the account.

Downing said that a "massive amount" of money had been going into the account and that he would have expected to see more than a few thousand pounds in it.

"If you look at the money that had gone out, there should have been more than £11,000," he told the jury, during cross-examination.

Robin Patton, defending Elliott, responded by saying: "That's if you know what you are doing with your money."

Mr Patton put it to Downing that he had spoken to Tottenham Hotspur in January 2008 to discuss a possible move to the London club. Mr Patton claimed Downing had spoken to Tottenham on two occasions. Downing denied the claim, or that he was trying to increase his wages at Middlesbrough to £80,000 a week during contract negotiations in 2008. He said the figure of £80,000 was "comical" and that he would never try to get that much money from Middlesbrough.

He said: "Even when I went to Aston Villa I never ever demanded £80,000 a week." Downing told the jury that he had thought he was one of the best players at the club and that his new contract should reflect that.

Mr Patton said: "You expressed the view you were the best player at the club and thought you were entitled to parity with the highest-paid player, who was in fact paid £80,000 a week."

Downing said Middlesbrough's chairman, Steve Gibson, would never pay that kind of money.

THe Guardian

£45,000 for a home cinema, for that kind of money I would want someone changing the channels for me.

Why does your friend think everyone is going to leave :lol:

They'd have to be offering £20-25 million for me, honestly.

Not everyone...but long story short:

GH is in charge. Randy Lerner has a man-crush on him. He's gonna have his team with his players. Noone's job is safe. Friedel was offered a new contract though, btw.

I'll be so pissed off if Downing leaves, he's the one player that has to stay. We can't build a new team overnight and because of this it would put a lot of pressure on the likes of Albrighton and Bent.

If Friedel contract is true I am bemused, he is the problem with our set pieces and it won't change until we get a commanding and vocal goalkeeper in.

Why does your friend think everyone is going to leave :lol:

They'd have to be offering £20-25 million for me, honestly.

Not everyone...but long story short:

GH is in charge. Randy Lerner has a man-crush on him. He's gonna have his team with his players. Noone's job is safe. Friedel was offered a new contract though, btw.

He won't sell Downing though, he recently spoke about how good he was and rightly so. Yes we will have new players but in areas we need them.

Yeah no way Downing and Young will both be leaving this summer. I think most people know Young will leave this summer but I'm not sure who of the two I would rather have here (of course I would have them both if given the choice).

I don't think you can say that one is clearly better than the other but for me Downing has been far better this season so I think if we can keep him it will soften the blow of Young leaving.

Â