The RJW63 Official Jack Grealish Appreciation Thread

kevangrealish

16 minutes ago, nick76 said:

I’m not sure Ronaldo has made them better.  Fabulous player but it’s starting to not make sense.  Like Portugal, Fernandes and Ronaldo aren’t clicking the way you’d imagine.  He’s scored some crucial goals but seems to really affect the team and not in a good way. I’m not convinced it has been a success footballing wise.

Its a global audience look at us still one of the big boys signing, said it before but for all the guff Perez and him at juve came out with some of it really does ring true, utd bought him to stay relevant and its probably working 

Utd have made a lot of them recently, you can make a decent argument that they didn't need sancho and now with both sancho and Ronaldo on the books they don't know what to do with Greenwood 

Woodward really has been incredible for anyone who isn't a man utd fan 

• Like 2

8 hours ago, nick76 said:

Why? It’ll either be because he’s a flop there for a couple of years and gets shipped out or it’ll be a few years after that, been a success but legs have gone and looking for his last big pay day at a lesser level club than City.  Given we are likely to be a top 8 team then I doubt we’d been interested.

. . . because sometimes players go back. More don't, of course. But in his case the odds seem somewhat improved by being a boyhood fan of the club and former captain who would, despite all the nonsense at the moment, get a great reception if he did so (probably not so much in the next few months, admittedly).

5 minutes ago, HanoiVillan said:

. . . because sometimes players go back. More don't, of course. But in his case the odds seem somewhat improved by being a boyhood fan of the club and former captain who would, despite all the nonsense at the moment, get a great reception if he did so (probably not so much in the next few months, admittedly).

and I stated the most likely reasons so I wasn’t ruling it out but I’m not sure we’d be interested. The mostly likely reason he’d be back is that we hadn’t progressed as a club further up the table (as we are currently hoping for) and he’d not been the success at City that he’d hope to be…not good for anybody.  

I think the only way he comes back is if neither of us do well over the coming years and then it would be down to timing, money and the need.  I just don’t see it ever happening now.  

Also, while he want to come back towards the end of his career because he’s a boyhood fan, I’m not sure there is the sentimentality from the club or the fans because he’s a Villa fan, he burnt that bridge somewhat.  He either comes back on merit or not at all, the boyhood Villa fan angle or the return of the boyhood fan is unlikely to hold water even in a couple of years because of it all.

2 minutes ago, nick76 said:

and I stated the most likely reasons so I wasn’t ruling it out but I’m not sure we’d be interested. The mostly likely reason he’d be back is that we hadn’t progressed as a club further up the table (as we are currently hoping for) and he’d not been the success at City that he’d hope to be…not good for anybody.  

I think the only way he comes back is if neither of us do well over the coming years and then it would be down to timing, money and the need.  I just don’t see it ever happening now.  

Also, while he want to come back towards the end of his career because he’s a boyhood fan, I’m not sure there is the sentimentality from the club or the fans because he’s a Villa fan, he burnt that bridge somewhat.  He either comes back on merit or not at all, the boyhood Villa fan angle or the return of the boyhood fan is unlikely to hold water even in a couple of years because of it all.

I mean, we're not going to agree, but I'm old enough to remember when nobody on this forum could be found with anything but a damning word for Ashley Young, and the entirety of his footballing career was summarised more by a dive against us than all the goals and assists he got for us, and then when we re-signed him all that completely disappeared. I'm willing to bet all that and more would/will happen for Jack (but not next month, for sure). Time heals most wounds, and helps even football fans develop some perspective.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, nick76 said:

I’m not sure Ronaldo has made them better.  Fabulous player but it’s starting to not make sense.  Like Portugal, Fernandes and Ronaldo aren’t clicking the way you’d imagine.  He’s scored some crucial goals but seems to really affect the team and not in a good way. I’m not convinced it has been a success footballing wise.

I think Ronaldo has been a success, it’s the rest of the team that has let him down. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, HanoiVillan said:

I mean, we're not going to agree, but I'm old enough to remember when nobody on this forum could be found with anything but a damning word for Ashley Young, and the entirety of his footballing career was summarised more by a dive against us than all the goals and assists he got for us, and then when we re-signed him all that completely disappeared. I'm willing to bet all that and more would/will happen for Jack (but not next month, for sure). Time heals most wounds, and helps even football fans develop some perspective.

Ok, we may sign a 36 year old Grealish!  I’d be honestly surprised if Jack is still playing at 36 given his injury history.

I think the difference with Jack is he is one of us which differentiates him from Young.  Also Young was 12 years difference from leaving us to coming back, I think response may have been different after five or so years to twelve years.  I also think for every Young there are many more like Benteke and Yorke to name just a few.  Young is the real outlier than anything close to be considered the norm.

Just as some are bitter about Jack leaving and will take time to get over, there are some still have the fantasy of Jack returning to the club in the future and doing the special things over again.  The chances are likely if he did come back it wouldn’t be anywhere near the same anyway.

16 minutes ago, HanoiVillan said:

What you on about? 

The only thing that ever happened in Ashley's entire career was a bird shat in his mouth 

The rest is just white noise 

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, Tommo_b said:

I think Ronaldo has been a success, it’s the rest of the team that has let him down. 

Interesting! I think he’s scored some important goals but I don’t see him as being a footballing success or a fit for them.  I think he’s a fabulous player but it’s almost been a bit of a gimmick.  I agree the rest of the team have let him down as well but he’s the wrong piece in the wrong hole.

I'd take him back for the £100m in a purely hypothetical situation and he takes on the same contract he had when he left...or near enough.

Some people talk absolute waffle in this thread. You loved him. He's the best player you've ever seen in a Villa shirt. 

Melts.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, rodders0223 said:

I'd take him back for the £100m in a purely hypothetical situation and he takes on the same contract he had when he left...or near enough.

Some people talk absolute waffle in this thread. You loved him. He's the best player you've ever seen in a Villa shirt. 

Melts.

No, as good as we was for us he’s not at the same level as God or Sid. Both performed at a higher level for a lot longer.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Robbie09 said:

No, as good as we was for us he’s not at the same level as God or Sid. Both performed at a higher level for a lot longer.

And both were from a different generation 

Mcgrath was 25 years ago, that's a whole lot of villa fans in between, myself included as a 37 year old who grew up with poor accessibility to villa 

He is the best villa player a hell of a lot of villa fans have ever seen including me

And he came at a time when we celebrated Alan **** Hutton if you want to apply context 

2 minutes ago, villa4europe said:

And both were from a different generation 

Mcgrath was 25 years ago, that's a whole lot of villa fans in between, myself included as a 37 year old who grew up with poor accessibility to villa 

He is the best villa player a hell of a lot of villa fans have ever seen including me

And he came at a time when we celebrated Alan **** Hutton if you want to apply context 

Wasnt Mcgrath 31 when he signed for Villa? 

10 minutes ago, Robbie09 said:

I remember McGrath and partially, Sid (2nd and 3rd spells). 

Jack was the beacon in a forest of dark for us. The local lad who came good and took us up as captain and shone like a bright star back in the Premier League, to such a degree, the best team paid £100m for him. 

I won't deny it, I'm a huge fan of him. He's a massive loss to this team and it seems we have wasted a lot of the funds we got for him. Best player a lot of Villa fans of a certain age have ever seen. 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Zatman said:

Wasnt Mcgrath 31 when he signed for Villa? 

Dunno, I was about 9, football wasn't was it is now, I don't know who of us honestly knew what we had bought or who watched him every week, certainly no one watched him on TV every week 

Even during the championship dark days I watched 95% of grealishs games for us

Someone can say cowans was better, Shaw was better, little was better, Mcgrath was better but at the same time still understand that theres a huge number of us that have watched Jack more than those players purely cos of what football now is, realistically even a fair few 60 year old villa fans watched grealish more than they watched little 

22 minutes ago, villa4europe said:

Dunno, I was about 9, football wasn't was it is now, I don't know who of us honestly knew what we had bought or who watched him every week, certainly no one watched him on TV every week 

Even during the championship dark days I watched 95% of grealishs games for us

Someone can say cowans was better, Shaw was better, little was better, Mcgrath was better but at the same time still understand that theres a huge number of us that have watched Jack more than those players purely cos of what football now is, realistically even a fair few 60 year old villa fans watched grealish more than they watched little 

Jack was great but Benteke arguavly did more for Villa for example probably Ashley Young as well. Ashley Young at Villa was so great and was just as elite as Jack was. Jack Premier League sample size is small though compared others 

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, Zatman said:

Jack was great but Benteke arguavly did more for Villa for example probably Ashley Young as well. Ashley Young at Villa was so great and was just as elite as Jack was. Jack Premier League sample size is small though compared others 

Yeah they're the 2 I'd have as competing with him, someone might say what about Barry but come on there's not that tingle associated with him and then jack is at a time where like I said we're celebrating Hutton, we're celebrating gabby 

But that said when all is said and done Jack will end with a better a career than young and Benteke 

2 hours ago, villa4europe said:

Jack will end with a better a career than young and Benteke 

He should and I believe he will... But I bet if you offered him Young's career tonight he might just hesitate and blink.

9 Years and near 200 games at a Manchester Club, a League title, FA Cup and a Europa League. The odd game as Captain too, followed by a Serie A title and welcomed back to Villa.

He should surpass that with considerable ease but I think he'd hesitate for a moment if offered to him today.

Â