Anyone falling out of love with the beautiful game?

Genie

Anyone falling out of love with the beautiful game?  

94 members have voted

1. 1. Anyone falling out of love with the beautiful game?

• I'll never fall out of love with football
    • I'm starting the change how I feel about it
    • I'm sick of scraping my money together for tickets and shirts for it to line the pockets of these overpaid pricks

Other things i hate about football;

People in the crowd giving each other the rocket polisher sign and pointing at individual people and being mouthy - common tramps.

When people call footballers rocket polishers, words removed, clearings in the woods **** etc when going to take a corner - common tramps - theres nothing wrong with a boo but its too personal

Divers - this world cup has spent half its time on its arse looking at the ref

I think the romance has gone to be honest..the F.A cup is the best thing about football now.

When people talk about 'our club' (im looking at you, liverpool) - the fans have nothing to do with what happens to the club i.e players signed or sold, the running of the club or anything. When I hear people saying 'players dont know what its like playing for liverpool' is just **** rubbish..a football player will go where the contracts take him, nothing to do with you mr dave 'you'll never walk alone' scouse c^nt..

Feeling intimidated in other clubs stadiums - because they are full of common scum

people fighting for football clubs - i mean really? come on you common thugs, you're all **** nobs who are thicker than pig shit so just go away back to your grubby house and drink XXXX till you choke on your own vomit.

When successful clubs' fans speak down to people who support lesser teams - you personally have no effect on any outcome of any game you big prick. you chose that team either because your lucky to be brought up in an area where the team is successful or you chose the team BECAUSE they are successful..either way, your talentless body does nothing to effect the outcome of anything.

I dont see why people cannot just watch football for fun..at villa down the years ive seen McGrath, Henry, Van Nistlerooy, Beckham, Giggs, Figo, Keane, Veron, Crespo, Shevchenko, cambiasso.

Thats why I dont love football anymore. I love villa, I dont like some of its fans though because some of them are like the ones I've listed above, but its the same for all the clubs.

Being 24, ive never really experienced a world of football that isnt ruled by money. The Blackburn of 1995 were little different to the Chelseas and Man Citys of today. Footballers have always earnt exuberant amounts of money, just how many hundreds of times more money they get than me each week is irrelevant in reality. Theres plenty of rock stars, pop stars, bankers etc who earn more money. As i said, ive never experienced the "peoples game" so little has changed for me.

That said, Manchester City are starting to piss me off royally. Taking our best players on an annual basis just because they have the cash to flash is getting a tad tedious. I say that I am not falling out of love with football, but come back and ask me the same question if Milner and Young are sold, and I might give you a different answer.

FWIW, i agree about all points made about the england team. But that's not necesserily synonymous with world football. You only need to follow the story of teams like Ghana to realise that passion and commitment does still exist, just not within the England squad.

The argument that there's always been money doesn't quite stand up for me. We're now talking about sums of money being spent on individual players that could make a serious difference to entire countries. It's getting obscene.

I think the romance has gone to be honest..the F.A cup is the best thing about football now.

Do you know what, the FA cup in my opinion is one of the biggest indications of what has gone wrong in out game and the rot that has set in.

The peoples final, once the biggest game of the year, the one everyone remembered has been rubbished and devalued.

Moved around to fit in with other competitions.

Semi final's held at Wembley

Finals were 33% of the tickets go to corporate guests

Teams putting out reserve sides to focus on other priorities

Man Utd pulling out of the FA cup to play in Brazil

Meaningless finals featuring the same sodding sides every year

Whats happened to Sutton beating Coventry, Wrexham beating Arsenal? It just doesn't happen any more.

The FA Cup is so symbolic of the way the game has gone down hill, growing up it was the biggest game of the year with coverage lasting all day. Now I'm hardly arsed about watching it.

The argument that there's always been money doesn't quite stand up for me. We're now talking about sums of money being spent on individual players that could make a serious difference to entire countries. It's getting obscene.

Quite right, Toure is going to paid per week more than some clubs transfer records. Its gone to far.

Upsets arent as drastic as they were but i got some satisfaction when reading beat liverpool.

the other year when exter drew with man utd.

when millwall got to the final against man utd.

Other things i hate about football;

People in the crowd giving each other the rocket polisher sign and pointing at individual people and being mouthy - common tramps.

When people call footballers rocket polishers, words removed, clearings in the woods **** etc when going to take a corner - common tramps - theres nothing wrong with a boo but its too personal

If you had your way we'd all be sat around a table tickling each other.

There has to be banter in football! I agree that going to a stadium and feeling intimidated is annoying, but when the games started and everyone's in their seat; a bit of shouting/ gesturing/ singing offensive songs is all in good spirit!

well your clearly not seeing some of the venom i see when i go to matches then..alot of it is **** scrotes who think they're hard giving it the rocket polisher sign who in the cold light of day would wimp out of any fight, put its one of the reasons i dont really care as much as i used to.

i love singing and stuff at games, its just the sheer amount of malais (sp) that pisses me off

I don't think I'll ever fall out of love with football.

While I understand the points people are making in this thread, I find it a bit odd that everyone should be mourning the effect of money on football at a time when we are witnessing a World Cup in which the reputations of a whole host of overpaid and overpraised players are falling like ninepins, and the team of the moment is a bunch of youngsters who a couple of years ago were a promising looking under-21 side.

There are no players with massive reputations or, by the look of things, egos, in the German side, yet they are showing the true worth of enthusiasm, team spirit and effective team play in football. That will always win in the long run over teams of talented individuals put together at great expense who don't learn to play together.

I would have thought that was an encouraging thought for Villa because those are exactly the values that Randy Lerner and MON seem intent on growing at Villa. There will always be one or two individuals who will have their heads turned by promises of ridiculous wealth from other clubs but as long as we can keep recruiting the sort of young talent that has so far been brought into the club, and developed in our own youth set up, then we should always fancy our chances against the money clubs.

You can buy players but you can't buy a team. That's what Abramovich had to learn at Chelsea and it is what Mansour has yet to learn at Man C. A relatively poor 5th place was quite a meagre return for all the investment of 2009/10. Responding by buying ever more expensive players isn't necessarily going to get him where he wants to be.

Some fair points raised their Briny. In response I'd say most of the views expressed in this thread are very much directed at domestic English football which is in my opinion anyway being ruined by money. I accept your points in relation to the current World Cup and the success of the German side but the conclusions I draw from that are different, I think that the differences between the German and English sides demonstrated very clearly the ills in our game.

I accept it might be just our game rather than the wider game and football as a whole although I'm not sure, but I think the differences between the hungry young German players and the spoilt, rich egotistical bunch of 'superstars' representing us showed clearly the self distruct direction of our national game.

I agree with your sentiment that teams will win over talented individuals, their is an unquestionable truth in that especially on the international stage where players can't be transfered. In the domestic game though its not the same because the rich team will simply come along and buy the little clubs harder working team players to replace the lazy 'stars' just look at City who are going to replace Barry with Milner.

How can we have any hope that success will ever be anything but temporary in such a domestic game? I don't see that we can. I've already said I accept there are other clubs who would say the same about us and I realise we like everyone else have our place in the food chain.

I just prefered the days when someone like Clough could take a team like Forest and make them the best in the land rather than just a flash in the pan that faded as soon as the rich teams were able to pick over the bones. No matter what is happening on the international stage you can't tell me that anyone will ever achieve what Clough did with Forest or what Saunders did with us again, it just won't happen any more.

That part of the game, that part of the games history is gone along with the point of most clubs having an honours board because only the richest are ever going to add to it.

Some fair points raised their Briny. In response I'd say most of the views expressed in this thread are very much directed at domestic English football which is in my opinion anyway being ruined by money. I accept your points in relation to the current World Cup and the success of the German side but the conclusions I draw from that are different, I think that the differences between the German and English sides demonstrated very clearly the ills in our game.

I accept it might be just our game rather than the wider game and football as a whole although I'm not sure, but I think the differences between the hungry young German players and the spoilt, rich egotistical bunch of 'superstars' representing us showed clearly the self distruct direction of our national game.

I agree with your sentiment that teams will win over talented individuals, their is an unquestionable truth in that especially on the international stage where players can't be transfered. In the domestic game though its not the same because the rich team will simply come along and buy the little clubs harder working team players to replace the lazy 'stars' just look at City who are going to replace Barry with Milner.

How can we have any hope that success will ever be anything but temporary in such a domestic game? I don't see that we can. I've already said I accept there are other clubs who would say the same about us and I realise we like everyone else have our place in the food chain.

I just prefered the days when someone like Clough could take a team like Forest and make them the best in the land rather than just a flash in the pan that faded as soon as the rich teams were able to pick over the bones. No matter what is happening on the international stage you can't tell me that anyone will ever achieve what Clough did with Forest or what Saunders did with us again, it just won't happen any more.

That part of the game, that part of the games history is gone along with the point of most clubs having an honours board because only the richest are ever going to add to it.

While I agree with most of what you say Trent. Forest didnt dominant English football for long periods. And there are still some cases of miracle successes imo - Fulham last season and Blackpool.

While I agree with most of what you say Trent. Forest didnt dominant English football for long periods. And there are still some cases of miracle successes imo - Fulham last season and Blackpool.

I didn't say they did. That is kind of the point there was no dominant club in the land at that time, clubs could build a good side and challange. Look at the league winners through the late 70's and 80's and look at the success of sides like Ipswich.

I'm not claiming Forest ever dominated, to do so would be simply wrong. What they were able to achieve though was prolonged success without having the guts of their side ripped out by the richest clubs around. Sure they lost players but the gulf was never such that it stopped them being able to maintain their challange.

Yes there are some miracle successes like Fulham and Blackpool they just now happen at the foot of the table rather than the top.

Do you know what, the FA cup in my opinion is one of the biggest indications of what has gone wrong in out game and the rot that has set in.

The peoples final, once the biggest game of the year, the one everyone remembered has been rubbished and devalued.

Moved around to fit in with other competitions.

Semi final's held at Wembley

Finals were 33% of the tickets go to corporate guests

Teams putting out reserve sides to focus on other priorities

Man Utd pulling out of the FA cup to play in Brazil

Meaningless finals featuring the same sodding sides every year

Whats happened to Sutton beating Coventry, Wrexham beating Arsenal? It just doesn't happen any more.

The FA Cup is so symbolic of the way the game has gone down hill, growing up it was the biggest game of the year with coverage lasting all day. Now I'm hardly arsed about watching it.

Spot on. I've only been watching English football since 1994, but I've seen the FA Cup lose it's shine. Playing the semifinals at Wembley is idiotic, and the guy who decided it was a smart move should be tarred and feathered.

Compare our team from 2005 and our team for 2008/09. How many other teams in the league are able to spend £10m on a player whose position you have relatively well-covered who is going to be injured for the following six months?

As far as 90% of teams are concerned we're just Man City lite.

Difference being is that we dont rip apart our structure to do it though do we?

Five years ago we had a team where we regularly played six or seven players who had come through out academy in Premier League games.

We now play one.

The reason we don't do it anymore is because we have decided we can get better players by throwing millions and millions of pounds at better players. Just like Man City do.

I think those cases support what Trent says. That Fulham finishing just above mid table and losing a 2nd rate Eurpoean final is a 'miracle' shows exactly what the problem is now. As for Blackpool, imagine them now going on to win the Premiership this season and you have an idea of how competitive and unpredictable football used to be. It's just not remotely interesting anymore. I know who will finish in the top 5. I know that we will finish anywhere between 6 and 10th. And I know that will continue for as along as I can see forward. Until that chnages then I can't be arsed anymore. I don't want us to go and spend billions to compete. I want the whole sport to be just that - a sport.

I have enjoyed this World Cup but less than other years. Not too interested in England's qualifying campaigns. The whole overhyped Premier League sky4 suppersunday rubbish doesn't appeal to me but I am as interested as ever in the Villa.

This covers it for me.

Oh how I'd love Skyscum to go bust. Teams would have to live within their means. Games would be on Saturday at 3pm, and if you couldn't go away you'd listen to the radio

:thumb:

I don't think I ever could. Even if the Villa didn't exist the sport has given me so much when it comes to playing and the coaching I have done it has too many good memories.

Yes, it's a bit silly how much players get paid but I would like some of it. :) I focus on the good in the game and not worry too much on what people are making. I do wish though there was a way to stop clubs like Porthsmouth getting into the debt they are in but that would be another thread.

Trent and Lapal have said it for me -

But my extreme disappointment in the game are the divers, the cheaters, the blatant harrassing of the referees by players - and my Aussie Rules mates continually ridicule "The World Game" for not being "manly, or hard enough", and you know what? They are right.

I am sick to death of trying to defend the "beautiful game" when all we see are players going down as it they are shot when in fact, they have fallen over a blade of grass. I detest it. This one fact has ruined the game for me.

Bring back John Wile, Terry Butcher and Paul Ince playing on for their team and country while their heads have been split open. Man Up, boys.

Â