Anyone falling out of love with the beautiful game?

Genie

Anyone falling out of love with the beautiful game?  

94 members have voted

1. 1. Anyone falling out of love with the beautiful game?

• I'll never fall out of love with football
    • I'm starting the change how I feel about it
    • I'm sick of scraping my money together for tickets and shirts for it to line the pockets of these overpaid pricks

I think the money in the game now is totally obscene. The entire system is rotten to the core and unless drastic action like a salary cap is taken, many, many people will start to walk away.

I can't really afford to go as much as I used to, but even when I do I feel slightly cheated. Even at Villa we play roughly the same game, isn't Emile Heskey on £ 50,000 a week? Thats more than I earn in 2 years!

I fell out of love with English football about 2004 when i realised how bad Sky have ruined the game.

I still love football but prefer watching foreign games from Spain(which is getting as bad), Germany, Holland and South America where the monopoly is not the same as in some European countries

I still love football but prefer watching foreign games from Spain(which is getting as bad), Germany, Holland and South America where the monopoly is not the same as in some European countries

Eh? In Spain its typically either Real or Barca or occasionaly Valencia - in the last 10 years 4 Barca 4 Real 2 Valencia

In Germany Bayern have won it 6 out of the last 10 years

In Holland only the last two years has seen a break from PSV or Ajax

A good summing up earlier from Mr Trent. For a lot of people now rather than being an obsession its a hobby which quickly leads into being an interest and the into a meh!

I've watched football for many years - I am one of those buggers who remember watching us in Div3 for our first match at Chesterfield - and football has changed massively. Maybe there is some irony in the fact that Chesterfield no longer will play at saltergate and now will play their football at the new ground in the Tesco car park.

With the shite the English national team served up and the recent news that Man Citeh's new signing will be picking up £56m over the next 5 years (£220,000 per week). Anyone else think that the way the incredible money is spent in football is causing them to lose the love for the beautiful game?

TBH the whole Sky hype thing over the past years has killed the beauty of the game.

I have seen postings on VT bemoaning the fact that the Villa will only pay a max of £60-70k a week (seventy thousand pounds a week :shock: )

Even if Man City's new signing is paid half of what has been reported, I have no idea what position he plays, and wouldn't recognise him if he walked past me in the street-okay I don't know all players, but the top stars I do, and Toure2 plainly isn't one of those.

I have been out of love with the game for a while, only my love for the Villa still burns brightly enough for me to care.

With the shite the English national team served up and the recent news that Man Citeh's new signing will be picking up £56m over the next 5 years (£220,000 per week). Anyone else think that the way the incredible money is spent in football is causing them to lose the love for the beautiful game?

TBH the whole Sky hype thing over the past years has killed the beauty of the game.

I have seen postings on VT bemoaning the fact that the Villa will only pay a max of £60-70k a week (seventy thousand pounds a week :shock: )

Even if Man City's new signing is paid half of what has been reported, I have no idea what position he plays, and wouldn't recognise him if he walked past me in the street-okay I don't know all players, but the top stars I do, and Toure2 plainly isn't one of those.

I have been out of love with the game for a while, only my love for the Villa still burns brightly enough for me to care.

I think people of my age (31) still remember when footballers used to live in semi detached homes in Walmley and driver Rover 200's. Nowadays, they live in gated mansions with a plethora of super cars.

Trent's post sums it up perfectly. I have been losing the love for the game for years. I had a season ticket for 10 seasons in a row... now I barely go down and to be honest, I don't miss it that much anymore.

It needs a massive like Liverpool or Man Utd to go bust for people to realise that this can't carry on anymore.

I have enjoyed this World Cup but less than other years. Not too interested in England's qualifying campaigns. The whole overhyped Premier League sky4 suppersunday rubbish doesn't appeal to me but I am as interested as ever in the Villa.

This covers it for me.

Oh how I'd love Skyscum to go bust. Teams would have to live within their means. Games would be on Saturday at 3pm, and if you couldn't go away you'd listen to the radio

I'm worried about the way things are going in England at the moment, Premier League with so many foreign players, shambolic showing at the World Cup, no decent English keepers (maybe Joe Hart) maybe we need to trim our season down, for instance

Reduce Premier League to 18 teams= 34 league games, allows winter break for 3 weeks.

Only one cup competition, Carling Cup is very mickey mouse anyway.

Allow England team more assistance to meet up and bond together, enable us to at least reach the semi's in a competition.

The game in England needs a sort out, at the moment the salaries are spiralling out of control and Man City are not helping matters by threatening clubs with money, i am gradually becoming less interested in the Premier League, and i can see that in the not to distant future that the bubble will burst, and the money will dissapear

No player is worth 10,000 a week, let alone 220,000 that Man City are paying Toure.

:x

I have enjoyed this World Cup but less than other years. Not too interested in England's qualifying campaigns. The whole overhyped Premier League sky4 suppersunday rubbish doesn't appeal to me but I am as interested as ever in the Villa.

This covers it for me.

Oh how I'd love Skyscum to go bust. Teams would have to live within their means. Games would be on Saturday at 3pm, and if you couldn't go away you'd listen to the radio

How is listening to the radio better than watching games online :?

I really only care about Villa, every thing else has turned into a passing interest at best.

That, plus what Trent said.

Plus the outrageous levels of diving and cheating in general these days, coupled with the death of any notion of sporting behaviour.

I know it's basically impossible now, but English football could learn a lot from the German model.

I wouldn't call it impossible - but certainly more difficult.

I think it was Beckenbauer that said the Bundesliga was essetially the same as the Premier League now - minus the huge money involved - where clubs rushed for foreign talent at the expense of it's own. They brought in the "6 + 5" rule (or something to that affect) which made the German clubs invest in their own youth. That was about 10 years ago and it's now starting to pay dividends.

England can do something similar - but it would mean having to put financial brakes on clubs and a downturn in quality for a period. I don't see the FA allowing that for some reason.

Money is what made the PL into the most lucrative league in the world , which the English proudly proclaim at every opportunity. You cannot have your cake and eat it too. It is this massive commercialization of the league by Sky which made it possible for your Fernando Torres's , Michael Essiens, Xabi Alonsos , Cristiano Ronaldos, Cesc Fabregas' to ply their trade in England.

In a purely commercial enterprise that is the PL, money is the priority and everything else follows.

smoke a bowl and watch Bundesliga and Ligue 1 instead :winkold:

I think options 1 and 3 are not mutually exclusive....

I'll always love the game despite the money these slugs get paid. It's a diversion from the bullshit in my own life.

Kids 20 years from now will look back at these days sentimentally.

It's all relative, so if you like the sport, indulge yourself to your own satisfaction.

Â