bickster

Who will top the group?  

135 members have voted

1. 1. Who will top the group?

• England
    • USA
    • Algeria
    • Slovenia

I agree with you there Jon, nobody can call Heskey a glamour player and not expect a knock at the door from someone in a white coat who arrived in a private ambulance.

The problem is though that he is trying to shoe horn Gerrard and Lampard into a 442 formation and in doing so has played both in roles that simply do not suit their games.

I would argue as I've done several times over the last few pages that Lampard in the middle and Gerrard on the left was never a good use of either player even when we were winning games in qualifying. The difference is that at that time the squad was full of confidence, had better balance with Beckham, had Rooney on form, had Cole and Terry pre personal problems, at times had Ferdinand, had a steady and settled keeper.

• Replies 869
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I agree with you there Jon, nobody can call Heskey a glamour player and not expect a knock at the door from someone in a white coat who arrived in a private ambulance.

The problem is though that he is trying to shoe horn Gerrard and Lampard into a 442 formation and in doing so has played both in roles that simply do not suit their games.

I would argue as I've done several times over the last few pages that Lampard in the middle and Gerrard on the left was never a good use of either player even when we were winning games in qualifying. The difference is that at that time the squad was full of confidence, had better balance with Beckham, had Rooney on form, had Cole and Terry pre personal problems, at times had Ferdinand, had a steady and settled keeper.

James - Johnson,Terry,Dawson,A.Cole - Milner,Lumpard (the fat ****), Gerrard, Barry, J.Cole - Rooney............. 4-5-1

Yep, I would go with that. :thumb:

I think pretty much everyone has been calling for this formation for a while now. Capello is too stubborn to give it a go though.... :(

picking the glamour players rather than the best TEAM....

Eh?

I'm afraid that's nonsense mate.

How is Heskey a "Glamour" player.

Or Lennon. Or Barry.

Fabio may not be getting the best out of the team in this tournament, but he isn't simply picking "glamour players", let's be honest.

he's playing to the structure that worked so well in qualifying, but it seems no longer to be working that well

I should qualify that statement a little - the glamour comment was really just a dig at playing Lampard & Gerrard, the 'glamour' players, and this insistence at trying to work them both into a 4-4-2 at the expense of other good players playing in their correct positions. Under no circumstances am I describing Heskey as a glamour player :D

Lampard would not get near the starting 11 for me. Can anyone tell me the last time he had a good tournament game for England?

not sure who the defence will be as there is injury and suspension but the final 6 names should be

Lennon ---- Barry -----Milner-----Cole

---------------------Gerrard

---------------Rooney

Lampard would not get near the starting 11 for me. Can anyone tell me the last time he had a good tournament game for England?

Never mind last tournament game, when was the last time he played well for England at all?

Rooney would also be very close to being dropped if I were gaffer, almost as anonymous this WC as Fat Frank...

Theres no way i'd drop Rooney. If we dropped him for the next game, the Slovenians wouldn't believe their luck. If Rooney played this way in 3 or 4 games straight, then i'd drop him, but not after one slightly below average game v USA and one bad one against Algeria.

hmm..who were the other 8....Wazza/Jamo?

Hugh, Pugh, Barley, McGrew, Cuthbert, Dibble, Grub

F. Haggerty, R.Haggerty, Tompkins, Noble, Carrick, Robson, Crapper, Dewhurst, McIntyre, Treadmore, Davitt.

hmm..who were the other 8....Wazza/Jamo?

Hugh, Pugh, Barley, McGrew, Cuthbert, Dibble, Grub

F. Haggerty, R.Haggerty, Tompkins, Noble, Carrick, Robson, Crapper, Dewhurst, McIntyre, Treadmore, Davitt.

What about Bunn, Whackett, Buzzard, Stubble and Boot?

Upson is a very good defender (though admittedly he doesn't get much hype...). I'd just worry that he's coming back from injury.

Upson is a very good defender (though admittedly he doesn't get much hype...). I'd just worry that he's coming back from injury.

He'll fit in a treat then.