Anyone Watching A Good Tv Show?

AVFCforever1991

thought it was a poor series though last episode was best of the 3. making him human and sentimental has sort of made it a worse show.

Indeed. He's no longer a highly functioning sociopath, he too "human", too fallible and he's too aware of the world around him and how his actions affect that world.

I've not read the books, but if this is the direction ACD took with Holmes then fair play, I'd have had the same bone to pick with him too.

Edited by dont_do_it_doug.

Well I thought Sherlock was excellent - as was the SH documentary on BBC4 immediately after it. The "wind blowing from the east" line at the end of Sherlock was lifted from one of the Rathbone films, which I wouldn't have otherwise realised.

I've just finished watching that and noticed the same thing. It was a fascinating look at how The character of Holmes can be transplanted into any age. Out of interest, who is your definitive Holmes?

Well I thought Sherlock was excellent - as was the SH documentary on BBC4 immediately after it. The "wind blowing from the east" line at the end of Sherlock was lifted from one of the Rathbone films, which I wouldn't have otherwise realised.

I've just finished watching that and noticed the same thing. It was a fascinating look at how The character of Holmes can be transplanted into any age. Out of interest, who is your definitive Holmes?

I don't have one. They all have strengths and weaknesses. Quite liked Jeremy Brett, though. 

I don't have one. They all have strengths and weaknesses. Quite liked Jeremy Brett, though.

Having been too young to watch the Granada series (which I am very interested in tracking down), I am left with a choice of Benedict Cumberbatch or Robert Downey Jr. Not much of a contest there; RDJ's version is, as the doc said, a cartoon superhero.

Having been too young to watch the Granada series (which I am very interested in tracking down), I am left with a choice of Benedict Cumberbatch or Robert Downey Jr. Not much of a contest there; RDJ's version is, as the doc said, a cartoon superhero.

Johnny Lee Miller?

Sherlock has been disappointing but last night was the best of the three.

Someone else on another forum summed up my thoughts exactly with this.

Get Moriarty back. Get proper crimes to solve back. Stop the 'ooh we've written a hit' love in. Put Mary in the background. Stop trying to be funny (Cumberbatch and Freeman worked with their lines in S1&2 to make them subtly humorous, no need for the OTT scenes). Stop arsing about with flashbacks and non linear plots. Stop having about 12 things going on at once. Stop planting spoilers and thinking that that makes up for shite episodes because "all will become clear". Start writing a better series 4.
  • Like 2

I like Sherlock. A lot but this has been the most disappointing series for me. Good but compared to the excellent S1 and outstanding s2 it was a let down. Agree with the post in mykeyb's post. Get back to clever and intricate crimes, turn down the jokes ( I laughed but i shouldn't have). The 3rd episode saved the series for me but the whole thing rand as hollow as the Dr Who Christmas specials do IMO.

Moffat and Gatiss can do better but they are victims of their own success. You can't expect them to knock out episodes of Dr Who and Sherlock in the volumes required within a sensible time scale and not sacrifice the quality.

That said, I was impressed by the way they handled Sherlock's drug use in this one.

That said, I was impressed by the way they handled Sherlock's drug use in this one.

Really? How so? They made it into a joke and then brushed it under the carpet never to be mentioned again. I mean, they had an hour and a half in which to explore it a little deeper.

Token effort. They've dropped the ball completely for me.

The 3rd series has been a disappointment but the last episode was pretty decent.

I feel as though, as other people have alluded to, that Sherlock has become too 'human'. He is no longer the sociopath who has none or very little emotional connections to someone but someone who has become aware of other people's feelings and how he acts towards them and that kind of ruins it for me.

Also Moriaty was badly missed, while the Magnusson character was pretty good in his right, he didn't posses the same aura as Moriaty does and the tension between Sherlock and Magnusson was basically non existent.

And finally, the writers need to go back to what made Sherlock what it is in the first place. Scrap the story lines between the characters and go back to solving incredibly complicated crimes. 

I like Mary. A decent female character that has a something to add to the show, rather than being badly written and shallow or fawning over Sherlock from a distance. It's a nice dynamic.

Although judging from a lot of numpties on twitter and elsewhere, a woman just gets in the way of the chaps' fun.

The one with Woody Harrelson in it?

Yep. It's a bit of a slow burner, but it ropes you in with good writing and acting, and it's atmospheric style. Looking forward to next Sunday.

• Like 1

I thought that True Detective was really good, at times I thought Woody Harrelson seemed to ever so slightly over-act, hearing those train noises in the background reminded me of the WIre, I was expecting it to mean something bad was going to happen.

Apparently a new season has already been granted but will have a completely new cast of characters, but with actors only having to commit to a season it means they can get in the big names who'd otherwise have other commitments.

I thought that True Detective was really good, at times I thought Woody Harrelson seemed to ever so slightly over-act, hearing those train noises in the background reminded me of the WIre, I was expecting it to mean something bad was going to happen.

Apparently a new season has already been granted but will have a completely new cast of characters, but with actors only having to commit to a season it means they can get in the big names who'd otherwise have other commitments.

Hmm, interesting. I can already see top name actors clamoring to get in on this.

Wire fans will notice something in the first episode, BTW... :)

Â