Summer 2010 Transfer Talk / Unfounded Speculation

bickster

Now if we were to sell Gabby (as well as Heskey and Carew) for 20+ million and sign Doyle and Cole, and throw in E Gudjonson that would be a nice bit of sell to buy business.

So, sell Gabby Heskey and Carew.

Sign Doyle, Cant Control and Gudjonnson?

You really do come out with some crackers

I think you missed the bit where I said I'd like to keep Gabby. C.Cole's ball control is better than all our strikers except for young Delfouneso. You don't rate him I get it, but you don't need to exaggerate.

The fact is Gabby is worth keeping, but if we could get 20 million for him I am sure we could find a quality replacement for a lot less money. Milner would be much harder to replace than Gabby that's for certain. I do rate Gabby, just think he's lacks awareness and relies to much on his pace. The improvement in his technique over the last 3 seasons has been excellent, so has the improvement in his hold up play. For all we know next season he could bang in 20+ goals and be coveted by the best clubs, which is why I would like us to keep him, but if we sold him to boost transfer funds, I would be happier with that then to sell Milner to raise funds. Its a viable option to me.

Also I like Carew a lot, his finishing is top class, when he's on his game he's unplayable. However he's on his game only 1 in 4 or 5 games. In the tail end of the last 2 seasons he scored a lot of goals, but he loses possession a lot, partly because his touch very inconsistent and partly because he likes to run at players (which normally doesn't work). At the beginning of the last two season he has been poor. We need a partner for Gabby that's consistent. If Carew had more than a year on his contract I would say keep him for another season as our third choice striker, but if we can get money for a player that turns 31 in September with only a year left on his contract that's as lazy, inconsistent and spends at least 3 months of every season injured then I am all for it.

There are only 6 players I would really hate to lose, the 4 youngsters I mention on my sig, plus Milner and Dunne. A.Young, Downing, Gabby and Cuellar I would prefer to keep, everyone else in the first team squad is expendable as far as I am concerned. Would probably keep Warnock, Collins and Petrov as insurance.

Buy a quality right back, and quality striker, and buy a heap of talented youngster to compliment the 4 fine youngsters we currently have. We have to take some big risks now to break the top 4, the only way to temper that risk is by keeping the first team together.

This is going to be Martins toughest summer yet. He has to deliver champions league or silverware, it really is make or break. Patience is running out. flirting with success is no longer sufficient.

I think all the names mentioned on here as players we'd like MON to sign (INCLUDING MINE) is just people clutching at straws because they can't (LIKE ME) think of players they TRULY believe will enable us to make that vital improvement necessary to be successful (I am talking REALISTIC targets). In past seasons we thought Bentley (Milner was signed instead and looks the better player) or Distin (Dunne came in instead thankfully) and usually MON went out and bought someone else who genuinely improved the team that most of us either never considered or completely wrote off as not good enough.

Truth be told this thread is just a game we like to play.

How about selling A.Young to spuds for 10 million plus Bentley, then bringing in Ben Arfa for 10 million does that sound good to you? It sounds interesting to me but would probably see us stay where we are most likely. Would make a nice change though don't you think. I just enjoy exploring the possibilities.

• Replies 5.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Doyle is better value than Falcao and probably a better player. Falcao has looked poor everytime i saw him.

Doyle is brilliant in the air, has pace, intelligence, a decent finisher and works hard. Would be a great signing

Carrick has done very well for an 'average' player.

good PR and agent can do that for you plus helps that he is English :)

Playing the whole game in two Champions League finals and winning one of them (scoring a pen in the shootout in the process) takes a lot more than a good agent. Nationality has nothing to do with it; you could even argue being English has had a negative effect due the pressure and scrutiny from the press.

Jamie Carragher has played in 2 Champions League finals. Doesnt mean he is/was a good player.

He was fantastic in one of those finals too. You're just digging yourself a hole.

Falcao's Portuguese record is very good, however, that ship sailed the moment he went there. Besides which, he's a a player used to 'softer' leagues. Some South American strikers, like Tevez, take to this league. I don't think Falcao is one of them, especially given him already having done in his ACL once in his career.

And even if you disregard that and think he's going to take to this league well, it's Porto he's playing for now. Thats £20m all ends up at least and we ain't paying that.

Doyle is better value than Falcao and probably a better player. Falcao has looked poor everytime i saw him.

Doyle is brilliant in the air, has pace, intelligence, a decent finisher and works hard. Would be a great signing

How many goals for Doyle ?? 9 from 34......

Falcao 25 from 28........

Now while playing Prem against Liga may be a bit more difficult you dont play for River Plate and Porto by being poor.

By the way Doyle isnt overly quick.

Now if we were to sell Gabby

I think you missed the bit where I said I'd like to keep Gabby

Eh?

IF WE WERE to sell him, does not mean we SHOULD sell him or even I WOULD sell him. Its just an option available to us I was exploring! Its no worse then saying sell Milner for 20 million plus Ireland (who is not a direct replacement for Milner anyway). This is something some on here seem to be OK with. I guess that's only because they don't believe we can keep him.

The options upfront are rather limited really. People have suggested Bellamy who is a very good player but once again he is too similar to Gabby and Delfouneso for me to see it happen. Now if we were to sell Gabby (as well as Heskey and Carew) for 20+ million and sign Doyle and Cole, and throw in E Gudjonson that would be a nice bit of sell to buy business. However I would like to see Gabby stay as I hate to see local lads leave Villa.

That's what I wrote, and as you can see without the last sentence it looks as though I would like to see Gabby sold, however I did write that last sentence which CLEARLY STATES I WOULD LIKE TO SEE GABBY STAY!

Edited on 27/05/2010 at 13.24

How many goals for Doyle ?? 9 from 34......

Falcao 25 from 28........

Now while playing Prem against Liga may be a bit more difficult you dont play for River Plate and Porto by being poor.

By the way Doyle isnt overly quick.

So we should sign Falco because of his scoring record?

Remember Alfonso Alves?

Chindie wrote:

And why d you want us to sign Radamel Falcao Garcia? Can you fill us in on how good he is, any previous he has, what experience he has, what his attributes are?

If you never take a chance, you never win..

who knows? maybe he would score a lot of goals here and be hero?or maybe he will be very poor here, like Heskey.. Doyle and Keane is not a chance, they will both be poor here, you heard it here first, just like ........ :-(

Chindie wrote:

And why d you want us to sign Radamel Falcao Garcia? Can you fill us in on how good he is, any previous he has, what experience he has, what his attributes are?

who knows? maybe he would score a lot of goals here and be hero?or maybe he will be very poor here, like Heskey.. Doyle and Keane is not a chance, they will both be poor here, you heard it here first, just like ........ :-(

Just like Dunne and Collins right?

I think all the names mentioned on here as players we'd like MON to sign (INCLUDING MINE) is just people clutching at straws because they can't (LIKE ME) think of players they TRULY believe will enable us to make that vital improvement necessary to be successful (I am talking REALISTIC targets). In past seasons we thought Bentley (Milner was signed instead and looks the better player) or Distin (Dunne came in instead thankfully) and usually MON went out and bought someone else who genuinely improved the team that most of us either never considered or completely wrote off as not good enough..

I don't know you personally so can't really comment on your footballing attributes but I know for a fact that MON and Villa have never been linked with signing anybody called Philosopher! :winkold:

Chindie wrote:

We are talking about strikers

name one good he has bought??

Chindie wrote:

We are talking about strikers

name one good he has bought??

Carew.

Chindie wrote:

You never answered his question :lol:

Carrick has done very well for an 'average' player.

good PR and agent can do that for you plus helps that he is English :)

Playing the whole game in two Champions League finals and winning one of them (scoring a pen in the shootout in the process) takes a lot more than a good agent. Nationality has nothing to do with it; you could even argue being English has had a negative effect due the pressure and scrutiny from the press.

Jamie Carragher has played in 2 Champions League finals. Doesnt mean he is/was a good player.

He was fantastic in one of those finals too. You're just digging yourself a hole.

Which final? 2005 where he was torn apart for 3 goals in the 1st half and introduction of Hamann saved a thumping or 2007 were he lost Inzaghi for teh winner.