Jez

MacArthur looks like signing for Wigan. More good business by them. They really are one of shrewdest teams in the league with their signings

Jordi Gomez, Jason Scotland, Gary Caldwell, Marcelo Moreno, Scott Sinclair, Ben Watson, Steve Gohouri all disprove this theory

MacArthur looks like signing for Wigan. More good business by them. They really are one of shrewdest teams in the league with their signings

Jordi Gomez, Jason Scotland, Gary Caldwell, Marcelo Moreno, Scott Sinclair, Ben Watson, Steve Gohouri all disprove this theory

not all bargains pay-off and 3 of them were loan signings.

What about N'Zogbia, Palacios, Valencia, Bullard, Rodallega, Figueroa even Bramble all bought for peanuts and became solid premier league players or better

What about N'Zogbia, Palacios, Valencia, Bullard, Rodallega, Figueroa even Bramble all bought for peanuts and became solid premier league players or better

They've had roughly the same amounts of flops and good signings imo I still think they'll go down this season

What complete and utter bollox

I love that we can consider O Neill as shit in the transfer market and yet Wigan, are considered shrewd.

I can't even be arsed to demonstrate how daft a comment that is.

They've had roughly the same amounts of flops and good signings imo I still think they'll go down this season

Nah they'll be grand, Martinez is a good, young manager and has plenty to learn. But they play (when everyone is fit) a system that no one else in the league plays so consistency was a problem last year as the players weren't used to it. I expect a solid yet unspectacular year for them. Which is good going for them.

Valenica and Palacios have worked out really well for them, outside of those two though the rest are average at best.

I reckon you could find many teams that have been able to source two good players in what, 5 years?

From sky::lol:

Football Editor:

According to reports in France, Newcastle United are trying to sign AC Milan midfielder Mathieu Flamini and Marseille attacker Hatem Ben Arfa, with both players understood to be open to a move to St James' Park.

From sky::lol:

Football Editor:

According to reports in France, Newcastle United are trying to sign AC Milan midfielder Mathieu Flamini and Marseille attacker Hatem Ben Arfa, with both players understood to be open to a move to St James' Park.

if mike ashley is anyone to go by newcastle havent got the cash to buy those 2

Thing with Wigan is they have openly admitted that they are happy to be used as a stepping stone for players. So they get these decent signings, put them on the big stage and then happy to move them on.

Might not make a difference, but it may sway the players they sign if they know they won't be held back when they try and leave.

Pretty depressing for Wigan fans though really isn't it. Though, if they had more fans and bought in more revenue, they might be able to compete higher.

Different expectations though. This is the greatest period in their history as a football club. As a Wigan fan it doesn't get better than this.

I'm not quite sure that Wigan have actually declared they are happy to be used as a stepping stone. I think the fact they keep losing players is a reflection of their stature rather than any stated policy. Simply put they have little choice.

In terms of picking up players they have had a good run no question, most of the credit for that I believe should go to Steve Bruce as most the players they have sold for big money were his signings. For me it remains to be seen if the current manager shares his judgement in the market, I have my doubts.

As for their fans as BOF says this is the best spell in their history, it won't get any better. Their business model of buying good young players and when forced to do so selling them on is I think the perfect model for a small club in the premier league and the only sustainable model. You can't keep throwing large money at has been players and hoping it will get you through a year or two.

There is much to be admired at Wigan many clubs could learn from them.