Jez

How much did Sunderland pay for Connor Wickham? similar pedigree imo.

£8m+ IIRC.

But the fact that Sunderland were a fairly established Prem side reduces the 'what?!' factor for me a little (also he was only 18, though hadn't set the world alight scoring wise), whereas Southampton are betting £7m on 22 year old as a newly promoted side.

Both are mad, but Southamptons is just a crazy amount given their standing right now.

The small age difference is huge too, of course BOF. Wickham looked like he could hack the top leagues from the moment he set foot in Ipswich teams in anger.

Rodriguez, 22... 2 half decent seasons at Championship level and not really been touted as 'a thing' in the football world... £7m, from Soton?!

And now under MON, in a team relatively settled, Wickham could scarcely be in a worse place for his own career development.

Can't hurt the Belgian national team that Chelsea's core seems to be fairly heavily Belgian now. De Bruyne, Hazard and Lukaku.. Surprised they haven't made a move for Vermaalen or Kompany yet.

And now under MON, in a team relatively settled, Wickham could scarcely be in a worse place for his own career development.

True, your either a MON player or your not, he normally decides after spending millions on you, by which time you couldn't care less cause your on a fat contract.

I never realised Wickham was so young, seemed to have been around a while.

Can't hurt the Belgian national team that Chelsea's core seems to be fairly heavily Belgian now. De Bruyne, Hazard and Lukaku.. Surprised they haven't made a move for Vermaalen or Kompany yet.

Courtois as well

a big tall, powerful striker who doesnt score goals. he is a definite MON type striker

I was think about how good Belgiums team could be. So I am now playing with them on FIFA trying to win the world cup. I mean look at this team:

Mignolet

Van Buyten

Kompany

Vertoghnen

Vermaelan

Defour

Fellaini

Witsel

Hazard

Lukaku

Dembele

The problem they have is the division between the Flemish and the Walloons. When you have a country where half the people don't speak the same language and large sections of one side hate the other to the point where they are seriously considering ceding it can't be good for team spirit. This Belgian team will probably go the same way as all of those Dutch ones which were littered with great players.

Brighton boss Gus Poyet, Blackpool's Ian Holloway, Birmingham's Chris Hughton and former Denmark international Michael Laudrup have all been linked with the vacancy at Swansea.
BBC