Jez

SkySportsNews Sky Sports News

Newcastle sign striker Papiss Cisse on five-&-a-half year deal from Freiburg for fee in region of £10 million.

Lol, that's my ex's team. They had a good run last year after promotion but are bottom of the table now.

Last season he finished second highest scorer(22) in Bundesliga behind Mario Gomez.

But they have a scouting setup to replace them. Selling Carroll didn't harm them, it's improved them.

Really??

I honestly don't beleive you need scouts to find the likes of Ben Arfa, Cabaye, Ba and Cisse.

They're needed though, you need to know which one you should buy ( Cabaye ) and which you shouldn't ( Makoun ). Not that easy.

But they have a scouting setup to replace them. Selling Carroll didn't harm them, it's improved them.

Really??

I honestly don't beleive you need scouts to find the likes of Ben Arfa, Cabaye, Ba and Cisse.

They're needed though, you need to know which one you should buy ( Cabaye ) and which you shouldn't ( Makoun ). Not that easy.

Yeah i agree they're needed to an extent for signings like that but the way people are going on about Newcastles scouting system is OTT, its not like they've plucked these players from the Uzbekistan regional league or something. All are full Internationals and played in the top European leagues apart from Tiote (who I agree was an excellent piece of scouting)

I think most people who know a bit about European football ( or those that play Fifa or FM ) would have heard of the players Newcastle have signed but what i find impressive is the relative peanuts in transfer fees that they have been able to get these players for and also how quickly they have adapted to the league. I think you have to give the scouting system some credit for being able to identify those players that would flourish in this league.

While true, it's clear to see what happens when the club doesnt have a good scouting network. You end up spending tens of millions of pounds on players like Marlon Harewood, Curtis Davis, Habib Beye, Fabien Delph and Emile Heskey (etc)

While true, it's clear to see what happens when the club doesnt have a good scouting network. You end up spending tens of millions of pounds on players like Marlon Harewood, Curtis Davis, Habib Beye, Fabien Delph and Emile Heskey (etc)

THIS

maybe was just a rumour i heard but i heard MON made a lot of his signings after been impressed when they played vs Villa

And this.

Apart from youth scouting i don't believe we have any sort of setup for scouting senior talent. while we quite regularly pick up players under the age of 16 from abroad.

its hard to tell, it surprised me when ISM quit along with MON because it always seemed like he was being wasted and might finally get a chance to do his job

but at the same time didnt ISM in an interview claim that going to world cups was pretty pointless because he already knew about every single player at a tournament of that level?

Cisse, Sow, Ba and Niang. Senegal have probably the best forward line in world at the moment
What about Robbie Keane, Leon Best, Kevin Doyle and Simon Cox?

Yeah, not to mention Bent, Carroll, Zamora and Wellbeck.

You'd think Cavani, Suarez, Forlan and Hernandez is up there.

Neymar, Pato, Hulk and Damiao isn't bad either.