6. Gianluigi Buffon: Parma to Juventus – £32.6m (2001) success

7. Robinho: Real Madrid to Manchester City – £32.5m (2008) FLOP

8. Christian Vieri: Lazio to Inter – £32m (1999) success

9. Dimitar Berbatov: Tottenham to Manchester United – £30.75m (2008) FLOP

10. Andriy Shevchenko: AC Milan to Chelsea – £30m (2006) FLOP

11. Rio Ferdinand: Leeds to Man Utd - £29.1m (2002) success

12. Gaizka Mendieta: Valencia to Lazio - £29m (2001)FLOP

13. Veron: Lazio to Man Utd - £28.1m (2001) FLOP

There have been plenty of flops, havent there? I assume this list was written after the Ronaldo transfer but before the Benzema one as he cost more than some players on the list, he has flopped too I guess. Some of the flops have actually been disasters, Shevchenko cost Chelsea getting on for £45m in transfer fees and wages, and if you believe the stories he cost them the services of Jose Mourinho too. I doubt Man City will get any money back on Robinho (they might not care, but hey ho) and the hit Lazio took on Mendieta was astonishing, he went from being one of the most expensive players of all time to playing away at Nuneaton Boro in the FA cup in the space of a couple of years. He played 20 games for Lazio. Veron was a shocker too, people seem to think that Manchester United only losing £14m on him was pretty good. Says more about his form in England than anything I can add I guess.

Again totally agree Rev, there are a lot of flops on that list and yes that list was from before the Benzema deal which I'd forgotten about to be honest. I guess it goes to prove you don't always get what you pay for no matter what end of the market you shop at and no matter how much you spend.

It also shows even the best managers make mistakes and costly ones at that.

Harry rubberface says that Joe Cole is definately leaving Chelsea. Nailed on to join Man City?

Its supposed to be Arsenal.

I thought they had a rigid pay structure? I know they can make it up with the huge signing on fee but that would surprise me for some reason.

Harry rubberface says that Joe Cole is definately leaving Chelsea. Nailed on to join Man City?

I thought they had a rigid pay structure? I know they can make it up with the huge signing on fee but that would surprise me for some reason.

To be honest mate the only think I can recall about them and any kind of rigid pay structure is in relation to the length of contracts for players in relation to their age, 1 year deals for over 30's.

If I recall correctly they chucked huge wages at Sol to land him on a Bosman and given Wenger's reluctance to spend on transfer fees I can see this one happening.

Are you a closet Arsenal fan Trent? You seem to know a lot about their inner workings!! Outed eh?

Ha ha rumbled!

nah just spend way too long reading about footie and have a good memory for stuff that will never be of any use to me in real life.

:D

Are you a closet Arsenal fan Trent? You seem to know a lot about their inner workings!! Outed eh?

It's common knowledge really

I guess that explains the strange avatar. It Sol Campbell practising his dance moves. In disguise of course!!

It's only rigid in how big it is. They've consistently had the third highest wage bill in the league which will probably only change next time the figures are released because of Man City.

A truly terrible player when Atletico Madrid consider you a poor defender then their is really no coming back

They considered Johnny Heitinga, Everton's player of the year, to be a very poor defender as well before they got rid of him. Atlético giving lessons on defending ? :lol:

A truly terrible player when Atletico Madrid consider you a poor defender then their is really no coming back

They considered Johnny Heitinga, Everton's player of the year, to be a very poor defender as well before they got rid of him. Atlético giving lessons on defending ? :lol:

They play Perea every week and he is just awful and amazing how they never bought a decent centre half in so long.

As for Pablo Tim Stannard on Football 365 slaughtered him, Simao and Gago

http://www.football365.com/spanish_thing/0,17033,9405,00.html

"The experienced Atlético Madrid defender is now set to leave the Vicente Calderón club on a free transfer. And the day that the centre-back departs the training ground for the final time, there will be celebrations in the Spanish capital to rival those of their Europa League victory.

Pablo has been responsible for more moronic cock-ups than any other defender in recent years in la Liga. Even the fact that he will be free won't be of any consolation to the buffoon of a manager that will be relegating his side even before the season has started by signing him"