Jez

Liverpool is going to be better off selling him for that money in the long term, I have a feeling Torres' health is just going to get worse.

In fact if it doesn't go through now it'd be a bit of a disaster for Liverpool, they'd miss out on a lot of money, fans have turned on the player, and they have an unhappy player who probably isn't going to perform near his best and might lose a lot of value if he keeps getting injured.

I heard something on talksport this morning, that if they do sell Today and don't get a new player by the deadline, that the taxman will be taking a chunk of the transfer fee.

That'd be funny if true!

I heard something on talksport this morning, that if they do sell Today and don't get a new player by the deadline, that the taxman will be taking a chunk of the transfer fee.

Well yes, if the money is sat in their bank their end of year accounts will show a huge profit which of course is taxable. thats why I suggested they might loan him till the end of the season and then get paid in the summer (a la Curtis Davies)

Liverpool is going to be better off selling him for that money in the long term, I have a feeling Torres' health is just going to get worse.

In fact if it doesn't go through now it'd be a bit of a disaster for Liverpool, they'd miss out on a lot of money, fans have turned on the player, and they have an unhappy player who probably isn't going to perform near his best and might lose a lot of value if he keeps getting injured.

That'd be funny if true!

I read years ago same thing happened to us on 1.2 million left over that instead of paying tax on it Doug bought Tony Cascarino

I suppose we have to complete the set:

KFK05.jpg

Kanu. The best ten years of his career were between his 29th and 30th birthday. He says he was born in 1976, but his mum died in 1969. (etc)

I read years ago same thing happened to us on 1.2 million left over that instead of paying tax on it Doug bought Tony Cascarino

it was Ginola (as well )

Doug asked how much they wanted and Spurs said you can have him on a free , Doug then came back and put a £3m bid in and scored one over the Inland revenue in doing so

least that's how the story goes , no idea if there is any truth in it or not

The Times announcement

Liverpool have made a £35 million offer for Andy Carroll, the England striker, matching Newcastle United’s asking price. Although the deal remains some way from being completed, Liverpool see the raw but talented 21-year-old as the perfect replacement for Fernando Torres, who appears set to conclude a deal to join Chelsea later today. The arrival of Carroll at Anfield would send out a signal of intent as Kenny Dalglish attempts to rebuild his squad. A number of factors are still to be agreed, including Carroll’s personal terms. Anfield officials made their first formal offer for Carroll early this morning, but Newcastle rejected their initial £25 million bid.

The Times Website..