Jez

They had a bit about Ramos on The Spanish football podcast.  It seems that the whole thing is about money.  

Ramos last signed a contract in 2011/12, since then guys like Modric, Bale, Kroos and James have joined and I'd imagine they are all on more than Ramos got in his last deal.  Ramos sees himself as one of the stars in that Madrid time and probably wants to be one of the top earners, he also knows that he will be 31 when his current deal expires (2017) so it's probably a good idea to negotiate now while he is still a twentysomething and seemingly more valuable. 

Sid Lowe (Spanish football podcast, The Guardian, ESPN and probably some other stuff too) seems to think this attitude has basically caused Ramos to fall out with Florentino Perez who seemingly doesn't see giving a huge contract to a guy who turns 30 next season and is under contract until he is 31 as the best investment for Real Madrid.  If they can cash in now they will probably get very good money for Ramos because he is a name, Ramos will get the more money because the going rate of a salary for a guy of his reputation is higher now than it was in 2011 and Manchester United get an experienced centre half who can (probably) marshal that defence which has looked a bit shaky in recent seasons.   They have some leverage if Madrid want De Gea too.  

Like Cech to Arsenal, this might be a deal where everybody comes away happy. 

Not sure

he's 29 but looks fairly fit with a decent injury record I think

£28m is a lot at that age with no resale value but man utd aren't short of cash

He sometimes looks a bit ropey and can get pulled out of position and we all remember what robben did to him but he's still head and shoulders above everyone at utd

He has a shocking red card record but he also uses that cheating bastard streak to his advantage, almost like biscuits, he'll buy some soft free kicks whilst under pressure that's for sure

He'll score goals from set pieces

Madrid have varane so I can see it happening

His age might be appealing to Manchester United.  They probably want a guy who can come in and be ready to lead the defence from day one because the squad is stacked with defenders who fit the "will probably be great in a couple of seasons".  

Their senior defenders are all only in their mid twenties and haven't really stepped up. I'm not sure Rojo has been the answer to their problems and guys like Smalling and Jones still look like they need to be told what to do by a guy who has seen it all and done it all.  This is the first time I can remember Manchester United not having a star player at centre half and my memory goes back to the days when Paul McGrath played for them.  The blend of youth and experience simply isn't in place at Old Trafford at the moment and it's costing them.

Why does he want to leave Madrid?

Maybe he doesn't rate Benitez.

On the more general point though, I think it would be a quite amazing signing for United.  Not just because of who they're getting but where they'd be getting him from and the stage of his career.  They'd be taking a first choice centre back from arguably the biggest club on the planet against their will.  Doesn't happen often.

• Like 1

I don't understand how a footballer is just happy to sit on the bench unless he only cares about money. Begovic is only going to play in the two domestic cups competitions. 

Edited by PaulC
  • Like 1

I thought the reason he was looking to leave was down to not being guaranteed the number 1 spot at Stoke? Strange then to move to a club where the only certainty is being number 2

On Cech, am I the only one who thinks he's past his best? The last few times I've watched him he's not inspired confidence.

I thought the reason he was looking to leave was down to not being guaranteed the number 1 spot at Stoke? Strange then to move to a club where the only certainty is being number 2

On Cech, am I the only one who thinks he's past his best? The last few times I've watched him he's not inspired confidence.

Ignore my bias,  but he is still very good. Judging him off any matches this past season is unfair considering he'd play one match, then sit for the next 4-5. It is hard to be thrown into a match and expect to be in form. He always had strong matches for the national team. Still think he is top 3 in the league.