Jez

So he should just retire from Premier League football in case he upsets some fans from a club who didn't want him?

He should have just signed a deal with City if that was where he was going to play. Rather than pretend he was going to do something new and exciting before signing for your ex clubs title rivals.

I don't believe for a second he signed for NYCFC at his age without a plan of how he was going to fill the year before they have a game.

But what if that deal was never on the table?   This way of doing it makes a lot more sense from a FFP point of view, presumably NYCFC are eating most of the cost (which is what everybody suspected might happen once Man City started the whole sister club project) and they get a ton of publicity, Manchester City get a quality player who has a ton of experience at the very highest level for a year.  I'll bet you they will be mining Lampard's experience of how things work at a club (Chelsea) who are regularly at the business end of the Champions League handle things. 

You've actually done a very good job of proving my point for me re. 'class'. Buying another overseas club purely in a bid to sidestep the rules regarding FFP is incredibly crass. They have bought a shit load of publicity by splashing their ridiculous wealth by buying a franchise in possibly one of the most expensive locations in the world and are now showing what we all expected it was, a way of cheating the rule book. Nobody can compete with that.

I bet he'll be on mega money, more than he could have refused because I imagine he would have known this move would have tainted slightly his time at Chelsea... everyone has a price though... keep adding 0's until he can't say no. 

Please don't confuse wealth with class. 

So he should just retire from Premier League football in case he upsets some fans from a club who didn't want him?

He should have just signed a deal with City if that was where he was going to play. Rather than pretend he was going to do something new and exciting before signing for your ex clubs title rivals.

I don't believe for a second he signed for NYCFC at his age without a plan of how he was going to fill the year before they have a game.

But what if that deal was never on the table?   This way of doing it makes a lot more sense from a FFP point of view, presumably NYCFC are eating most of the cost (which is what everybody suspected might happen once Man City started the whole sister club project) and they get a ton of publicity, Manchester City get a quality player who has a ton of experience at the very highest level for a year.  I'll bet you they will be mining Lampard's experience of how things work at a club (Chelsea) who are regularly at the business end of the Champions League handle things. 

You've actually done a very good job of proving my point for me re. 'class'. Buying another overseas club purely in a bid to sidestep the rules regarding FFP is incredibly crass. They have bought a shit load of publicity by splashing their ridiculous wealth by buying a franchise in possibly one of the most expensive locations in the world and are now showing what we all expected it was, a way of cheating the rule book. Nobody can compete with that.

I bet he'll be on mega money, more than he could have refused because I imagine he would have known this move would have tainted slightly his time at Chelsea... everyone has a price though... keep adding 0's until he can't say no. 

But what else are you supposed to do when FFP was almost certainly pushed into existence by the old guard in order to prevent the nouveau riche from being competitive?   Also why can't he move to another Premier League club just because he used to play for Chelsea?  I presume don't get like this every time a player moves so what's so special about Frank?   

• Like 1

But what if that deal was never on the table? This way of doing it makes a lot more sense from a FFP point of view, presumably NYCFC are eating most of the cost (which is what everybody suspected might happen once Man City started the whole sister club project) and they get a ton of publicity, Manchester City get a quality player who has a ton of experience at the very highest level for a year. I'll bet you they will be mining Lampard's experience of how things work at a club (Chelsea) who are regularly at the business end of the Champions League handle things.

You think they've set up New York City and the oz team because of FFP?!

What do you think will happen to Abu Dhabi and the likes of etihad if this plan is a success? They've already used city to establish themselves in our market, if they can crack the yank and oz markets through brand association then you can forget the amount of money they spunk on these teams because they'll smash that in return, you need to look past the football, it's just a marketing tool, a very good one, can you imagine how much the oz to Europe flight industry alone is worth?

But what if that deal was never on the table? This way of doing it makes a lot more sense from a FFP point of view, presumably NYCFC are eating most of the cost (which is what everybody suspected might happen once Man City started the whole sister club project) and they get a ton of publicity, Manchester City get a quality player who has a ton of experience at the very highest level for a year. I'll bet you they will be mining Lampard's experience of how things work at a club (Chelsea) who are regularly at the business end of the Champions League handle things.

But what else are you supposed to do when FFP was almost certainly pushed into existence by the old guard in order to prevent the nouveau riche from being competitive? Also why can't he move to another Premier League club just because he used to play for Chelsea? I presume don't get like this every time a player moves so what's so special about Frank?

The debate is about class. Frank can do what he likes. I said it was just not very classy of him to say he was doing something new and exciting only for him to try and disguise a money move to his ex clubs rivals. It would have been mapped out from when NY approached him as he almost certainly realised quickly they have no games until next year. Up to him I guess but I expected him to be above such a chirade.

Charade? You make it sound like he tricked them into releasing him from his contract in order to sign for their rivals. In reality he is doing something new and exciting, moving out of London for the first time to a brand new club. Going on loan for a few months to keep his fitness up before he moves to NY is hardly the classless underhanded backstab you're making out to be.

Its not like he's getting the armband and a five year deal. I'd be surprised if he made 5 starts.

Edited by ArteSuave

But what else are you supposed to do when FFP was almost certainly pushed into existence by the old guard in order to prevent the nouveau riche from being competitive? Also why can't he move to another Premier League club just because he used to play for Chelsea? I presume don't get like this every time a player moves so what's so special about Frank?

The debate is about class. Frank can do what he likes. I said it was just not very classy of him to say he was doing something new and exciting only for him to try and disguise a money move to his ex clubs rivals. It would have been mapped out from when NY approached him as he almost certainly realised quickly they have no games until next year. Up to him I guess but I expected him to be above such a chirade.

Do you really think Lampard engineered the entire thing?  Surely it is a lot more likely that he was approached by NYCFC and Manchester City after Chelsea had failed to offer him a new contract?  

It just seems mental that he isn't allowed to join a top club because they might be rivals of a club who made it perfectly clear they don't require Lampards services any more. Is that supposed to be the honorable thing to do or something?  What about when he left West Ham to join Chelsea? Was that okay given that they are geographical rivals? 

Who will he offend by moving anyway?  People on the internet? The majority of that type of Chelsea fan are johnny come latelys who only started supporting the club because of recent successes that Lampard was one of the the driving forces behind.  He has almost certainly been their most important player of the 21st century to date and if they think that Lampard should just require quietly because they don't want him any more then quite frankly, **** em. 

• Like 2

To be fair to Lampard he's made an agreement with City that he will not play against Chelsea. I don't really see the problem, it's half a season to stay fit and it's not one of their local rivals or anything.

Mateo Musacchio seems to be headed for Spurs, that's a signing that excite me. Villarreal manager has said he expect the transfer to go through soon.

Someone will leave, we've already agreed a Dawson transfer to Hull this summer, but he didn't want to go himself.
I see there are Kaboul to Lazio rumours as well. Too many centre backs with question marks around them at Spurs.
Will be good to have two top class ones that we can depend on in Musacchio if he sign and Vertonghen.

Been a problem for too long at Spurs with injury plagued centre backs that force us to change defence too often

I like Chiriches though, hope he stays - I'd be happy with Chiriches, Musacchio, Vertonghen and Dier.

Shame about Kaboul who was turning into one of the best around before he picked up his injuries.

Do you really think Lampard engineered the entire thing?  Surely it is a lot more likely that he was approached by NYCFC and Manchester City after Chelsea had failed to offer him a new contract?  

"Sheikh Anvac" Hello Mr Lampard, we'd like to talk to you about obtaining your services since you are a free agent.

FL Hi, ok, let know what you're proposing

"Sheikh Anvac" Well, we'd like to sign you to a newly created MLS side called NYCFC, I'm sure you've heard of us.

FL Yes of course, but you don't have any games until next year do you?

"Sheikh Anvac" Yeah, that's right, however, you'll be loaned to the parent club Manchester city for the start of the premier league season. If things go well we'll come up with an excuse for you to stay the entire season. We have people who can handle the admin and accounts.

Classy FL Ah right, tbh, I always said I would never play for another premier league team. My time at Chelsea means too much to me to do that....

Actual FL Hmmm ok, but that won't look great on me will it, after the things I've said.... 

"Sheikh Anvac" Don't worry, we'll drag it out a bit and make it appear like it might not have been the plan all along. Some people might believe its actually true LOL. 

> Ok, I suppose you're in charge, can't really argue considering the wages on offer :D

Even if Chelsea offered him a contract, Lampard can do whatever the **** he wants. It is his life, his family and his career. I love how people get all high and mighty over the stupidest of things.

Chelsea paid £11m for him, got over 10 years of top class service, over 100 goals, league championships, domestic cups and a European cup,

If people are really moaning about him joining Citeh on loan they need to get a hobby.

• Like 1

Keylor Navas to Real Madrid

This took long enough. He had been linked with them for nearly a month.

Presumably a lot of that has been down to Navas having a holiday after the world cup. End of the road for Iker though. It's almost sad to see how far he has fallen in such a short space of time.