Jez

Dante is just looking for an improved contract at Bayern. 

Yeah I really think so too.

I don't think Man Utd would use much energy to get in a 30 year old centre half who isn't proven in the Premier League. Sure he is at Bayern München and won everything last season, obviously a great player, but I think he could/would struggle a bit more in the Premier League over 38 games where you get so many aerial battles as well as races against speedy attackers. I am not going to stereotype too much, but Brazilian stoppers have the tendency to do a bit too much with the ball, that doesn't work over here. They can't afford to let him use 6-12 months to acclimatize like they did with Vidic.

I am sure Moyes would take on a player like Phil Jagielka (31 years old) on a two year contract if he got him really cheap, but that would be a totally different scenario - and most likely lower wages. United need to get in a replacement for Nemanja Vidic in the summer, but in Jonny Evans and Phil Jones they have a very, very solid defensive player and one who is already very good as well as possessing a huge potential ability. Phil Jones is only 21 years old and he has been around for "ages" already, just imagine what he can be at 25+. We have seen Jones getting some stick and he has a reputation of being a bit overcharged at times, but remember he is even younger than Nathan Baker.

I am sure Moyes would take on a player like Phil Jagielka (31 years old) on a two year contract if he got him really cheap, but that would be a totally different scenario - and most likely lower wages. United need to get in a replacement for Nemanja Vidic in the summer, but in Jonny Evans and Phil Jones they have a very, very solid defensive player and one who is already very good as well as possessing a huge potential ability. Phil Jones is only 21 years old and he has been around for "ages" already, just imagine what he can be at 25+. We have seen Jones getting some stick and he has a reputation of being a bit overcharged at times, but remember he is even younger than Nathan Baker.

Man Utd fans like actual not potential. Not good enough. Need to add more quality than 1 CB in defence or they will be competing with Tottenham for 6th.

Mata is a great player but is he the sort of player they really need ? I'm not saying he's better but Cabaye would be cheaper and would probably be a better fit for them for what they need to strengthen at this moment in time

Do they like having defenders who should have been sent off in Wembley finals but weren't in their squad or something? Dante seems like a decent player, not going to set the world on fire and is the wrong side of 30 but I doubt Bayern will want much for him and he will definitely improve the squad. Rio's replacement.

Would you say Dante's peaked?

I've been trying to think of a decent Dante's Inferno pun to respond with, but I can't. :( 

• Like 1

Is it just me that thinks £40m for Mata is way too much.

How is it? Probably in the top 3 or 5 in the league the last 2 years. Top class player.

I suppose you're right, guess I'm still not used to these super high prices though.

I actually think the £37m for Mata is decent value from Utd's point of view (with the current level of silly prices). They've bought a few players at ~£30m in the past (Veron, Ferdinand, Berbatov) so think for a WC winner and proven PL player at the right age from a rival club its actually ok.

Expecially when you consider last year they paid £25m for an injury prone striker in his 30's with just 1 year left on his contract.

Yeah I also think it represents good value in today's market.

You only have to look at some of the prices banded around in the summer (Soldado £26m, Lamela £30m, Willian £30m) to realise that £37m for Mata isn't over the top.

Chelsea have hijacked Liverpool's bid for Mohammed Salah from Basel.  I had a feeling Liverpool were taking too long, that deal was meant to be done in December but Liverpool have haggled over the price, now Chelsea have put in a bid too. No idea why, they certainly don't need another midfielder, I think it's more to piss off Liverpool, I doubt they have too many more targets in his position seeing as they've taken over a month now negotiating to get Salah.

My initial reaction upon reading the Mata news was, 'Well clearly Rooney will be heading in the opposite direction in a few months'. It's not something that i've seen suggested anywhere else, but it would make sense to me.