The Bundesliga Thread

Troglodyte

Well balls to that. I watched all of the second leg and have to admit that Hoffenheim were the better side. We were too ineffective. Idrissou was absolute muck. Bunjaku got little service and looked leggy. Sippel was superb in goal though and I doubt we'll hold on to Baumjohann off the back of that performance alone.

I knew as soon as Hoffenheim won their final game of the season, rising from 17th to 16th, that they'd go into the playoff bouyed by their escape. The fact their final day win was a come from behind win AWAY TO DORTMUND(!!) was also a terrible terrible omen. I'd have preferred a team who lost their final game. But I can't complain. Hopefully we'll be better than the muck that is coming down to join us and we can go up automatically next season. Tonight is the second leg of the 2/3 playoff between Dresden and Osnabruck. Osnabruck leading 1-0 from their home leg.

Do people in Germany like the relegation play off concept?

Must say I prefer the British way, 3 down and the third promoted team decided by their play offs.

Plus more chance of Bremen going down one of these years if it's three automatically down.

The Bundesliga is really a 1 team league.

How can Bayern Munich buy Borussia Dortmund's best two players?

Can you imagine Barcelona buying Ronaldo and Ozil?

Can you imagine Manchester United buying Aguero and Silva?

It just would not happen.

It's not possible now, but that's not to say it has never happened.   Manchester United seemed to buy big players from domestic rivals in the 1990s (Berg, Cole) which seemed to be as much about weakening the competition as it was strengthening them.  The Van Persie deal last summer might be placed in the same category by Arsenal supporters, but most of the rest of us probably don't consider Arsenal to be direct rivals to Manchester United any more. 

It wasn't that long ago that Real Madrid took Figo from Barcelona too.  That was a quite incredible transfer. 

Agreed. But losing Fabregas was a huge factor in how pissed off Arsenal were about losing Nasri too.  If Cesc had stayed then they might not have cared so much. 

So, I'm back from a long weekend in Berlin and as I am wont to do, decided to take in a game whilst there.  We headed down the Mommsenstadion for some 6th-tier Berlin-Liga action (and currywurst) on the Saturday; Tennis Borussia Berlin versus Club Italia.  I'd read before the game that Club Italia were bottom of the league, but didn't realise that they'd conceded ~160 goals in 29 games.  The reason for this became abundantly clear during Club Italia's warm up, which consisted of their 5'7 "goalkeeper" taking shots into his own net whilst the rest of the team did some light jogging.  This is meant to be the equivalent of a Blue Square North/South team.  And if it wasn't obvious that this was some poor volunteer between the sticks, it quickly became so when TeBe were 3-0 up within about 8 minutes.  The rest of the match proceeded along this amusing path, with the score 9-0 at half-time.  

Club Italia swapped their goalie around with another volunteer outfield player after the break, and though the tide was somewhat stemmed this was more through TeBe not so much taking their foot of the gas, but taking the key out of the ignition and applying the handbrake.  This second goalkeeper, despite being a bit taller (and thinner), was even worse.  Where the first was at least trying, this guy visibly couldn't be arsed.  He didn't actually use his hands once and just swung his foot at everything, he watched at least three saveable shots go in without moving, and after his first goal kick rolled about 20 yards along the floor, had to get his centre back to hoof it for him.  That's embarassing at my level of football, let alone semi-fecking-professional.  The game ended 13-0, and I walked away with a renewed sense of pride in my own ability.

• Like 2

I did start a very brief one-man chant of "Shall I go in goal for you?", but as it was lost in translation (and the locals started glancing over) I sat down and shut up.  The mustachioed gent in front of us seemed amused, at least.

I did start a very brief one-man chant of "Shall I go in goal for you?", but as it was lost in translation (and the locals started glancing over) I sat down and shut up.  The mustachioed gent in front of us seemed amused, at least.

You should have learnt it, here it is so you can chant it next time "Ich will küssen Pinguine"

Edited by 8pints

• 3 weeks later...

RIP.

KAISERSLAUTERN MOURN DEATH OF OTTMAR WALTER

i_ottmar_walter_628.jpg

Ottmar Walter became a legend with his four goals in five games as Germany won the 1954 FIFA World Cup.

The German footballing community is in mourning after another of their heroes from Bern passed away. 1954 FIFA World Cup winner Ottmar Walter died on Sunday morning at the age of 89 in a care home in Kaiserslautern.

The brother of Fritz Walter, who died in 2002, was one of the prominent figures of an 1. FC Kaiserslautern side which won the German league title in 1951 and 1953, while he made 21 appearances for Germany between 1950 and 1956.

”Role model for a generation”

Alongside brother Fritz, he was part of the legendary Germany side which won the 1954 World Cup final 3-2 against Hungary, a game widely dubbed the 'Miracle of Bern’. The only survivors from that match are now Horst Eckel (81 years old) and Hans Schäfer (85).

“It is sad news for the whole of German football,” said DFB president Wolfgang Niersbach. “Ottmar Walter was a player who made the Miracle of Bern possible and therefore became a role model for a generation. He, like his brother Fritz, will always have a prominent place in the history of German football.”

“Very sad day”

Kaiserslautern also paid their respects to a club legend. “This is a very sad day for us,” said club CEO Stefan Kuntz. “Ottmar Walter will be remembered as a fantastic sportsman and person. We think of him and his brother at every single home game, as fans walk through the Ottmar-Walter-Gate into the Fritz-Walter-Stadion at the Betzenberg.”

Walter was one of the most prolific goalscorers of his generation, forming a formidable attacking trio with his brother and Werner Baßler. “Fritz only had to look where I was and I already knew what he’d do and so I’d get into the right position,” he once said.

Hungary in a WC final :lol: those were the days

To this day, the fact Germany won that game is still one of the biggest upsets in WC history. That Hungarian side of Puskas, Kocsis, Czibor et al were the 'Mighty Magyars' and were expected to win that trophy from the start. It's a pity they didn't, even though it now appears as though 'my' Kaiserslautern were instrumental in the German victory :)

To this day, the fact Germany won that game is still one of the biggest upsets in WC history. That Hungarian side of Puskas, Kocsis, Czibor et al were the 'Mighty Magyars' and were expected to win that trophy from the start. It's a pity they didn't, even though it now appears as though 'my' Kaiserslautern were instrumental in the German victory :)

their is a lot of rumours none proven that the German team were taking illegal substances for the final

The Hungary of that era (probably heading in to that very game?) had the highest Elo rating ever recorded

Highest ratings ever by country (rating as of today in parens)

Hungary - 2166 (1667)

Brazil - 2153 (2028)

Spain - 2140 (2135)

Argentina - 2117 (1980)

France - 2105 (1831)

Netherlands - 2100 (1983)

Germany - 2099 (2029)

Italy - 2079 (1906)

Poland - 2046 (1641)

England - 2041 (1922)

Uruguay - 2035 (1813)

Russia - 2022 (1853)