The Bundesliga Thread

Troglodyte

Bayern are so good that Neuer plays keepy uppies with a sub while the game goes on.

Munich are so good even their goalkeeper turns his back on play... good luck, Arsenal!

Arsenal supporters may wish to avert their eyes now. Done? Good. Now the rest of us can read on (and try not to laugh).

The Gunners face Bayern Munich in the Champions League next week, and such is the confidence of the in-form German giants that stopper Manuel Neuer doesn't bother manning the goal anymore.

Okay, so that may be a slight exaggeration. But as you'll see from this picture he's hardly keeping his eye on the game is he?

article-0-17819815000005DC-334_634x413.j

Neuer opted to turn his back on play during Bayern's last outing against Schalke using substitute Thomas Muller as a training partner.

Muller headed balls back and forth to the Germany No 1 as Bayern celebrated their third and fourth goals in the 4-0 drubbing of Schalke on Saturday.

Last year's beaten Champions League finalists, who are now 15 points clear in the race for the Bundesliga title, have conceded only seven goals this season. Compare that to Arsenal's leaky defence, who have shipped more than four times that number.

Good luck, Arsenal. We think you might need it.

• 2 weeks later...

bitter comments from Klopp at weekend accusing Bayern of copying his style.

"They do it like the Chinese, they look at what others are doing and then they copy it."

On the week when both Hertha AND Braunscheit lose, we only draw :rant: That's that I think. Playoffs are the best we can hope for now and that's looking like Augsburg, barring a huge turnaround in form from any of the surrrounding sides.

Just to crowbar in a shit joke that may have already been made, but I can't be the only one who is disappointed that Mario Gotze doesn't have Gotze.cx as his personal website, can I? 

Aaand we draw with Braunscheit after being ahead :rant: And now have Cologne on our colon. Even the playoffs aren't a guarantee now. Fffffuuuuuuuuu.

I don't really follow German football, but I notice that Bayern are currently 20 points clear at the top of the Bundesliga with 8 games (24 points) to play for.  Their goal difference is so massively superior that they can essentially win the title next week if they win and Dortmund don't. They can mathematically seal the title the week after regardless of what anybody else does. 

Yup, Bayern have been running away with it this season.

Since Dortmund's recent emergence, they haven't been able to compete both in Europe and domestically, even though they're a very good team: last season, they won the double but finished bottom of their Champions League group, whereas this time around they've been performing very well in Europe but have fallen well behind Bayern and are still trying to maintain hold of second place in the league.  As I said a while ago (and the situation remains much unchanged), I hope that Dortmund can strengthen the squad with sufficient quality to be able to compete on both fronts, before they lose more of their most important players.  The club's financial situation makes this a difficult task.  Re-signing Şahin on a long-term loan was a step in the right direction, but Lewandowski's impending sale could be very damaging - he'll be very difficult to replace.  If he goes to Bayern, as anticipated, it'll be an even bigger blow.

Dzeko is a very good striker but I'm not sure he'd be able to offer as much as Lewandowski to Dortmund's all-round attacking play.  I'd probably prefer Soldado given those two options.  I guess it wouldn't surprise me to see Dortmund spend the money they receive on a more experienced player, as it'd be quite a risk to get someone young and developing in to play such a crucial role.  Both Soldado and Dzeko will be 28 at the start of next season (and after checking their ages - happy birthday, Edin Dzeko!) so currently in their prime, but I'd imagine that BVB would like to get a promising youngster in as well and begin developing him, as I don't think Schieber will become first choice if they continue competing at the highest level.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Union Berlin's chairman Dirk Zingler has just announced a record budget for the club for the forthcoming season of €18m (an increase of €3m), with a targeted league finish of 5th-7th. They've also been linked with a one year loan deal for Chilean U-20 striker Luis Felipe Gallegos Leiva.

Looking like they'll be there or thereabouts. 7th at the moment. We're out of the race for automatic promotion now and are just trying to fend off Cologne for 3rd. They play tonight against an in-form Duisburg who have lost one of their last eight and are 4th in the form guide. We beat Paderborn 3-0 and have a 3pt cushion. I wouldn't like to guess who the playoff will be against. Anyone from Fortuna Dusseldorf (30), Augsburg (27) or Hoffenheim (24) who also have 4 to play.

Â