The Bundesliga Thread

Troglodyte

I'd go so far as to call myself a Dortmund fan these days (not to the same level that I'm a Villa fan - nothing will ever be the same as that) so I'm gutted to see Pep go to Bayern, because I think he's fecking brilliant and I have a huge admiration for him.

However, I'm very glad he didn't go to Chelsea or, to a lesser extent, Manchester City. Bayern are a traditional club with a lot of class. I also think that Guardiola's arrival in Germany may just be the catalyst needed to really push the Bundesliga up there with the leagues in Spain and England. It'd be great to see German clubs really competing in Europe again on a consistent basis - I just hope that Dortmund and other sides (even Schalke, although preferably others!) will be able to do so too, rather than Bayern running away from the rest.

Does anyone know who'll be getting the rights for Bundesliga games on UK television next season, by the way? I've heard that ESPN might be taking their channel off the air since losing Premier League games.

Wow. Didn't expect that to be honest.

I kinda did. On Football Weekly a while ago, just after Vilanova had his break at Barcelona for medical reasons and people were speculating that Pep might come back Rafael Honigstein said that Pep to Bayern was already a done deal. He has a follow up piece in The Guardian today which reads like he had written most of it several months ago and was just sitting on it until things became official. I'm sure Pep will move to the Premier League at some point, he is still a young man (41) and Bayern have a lot of reasons why they are the best club for him to join at the moment. Usually when you get a job at a top club it is because something is wrong at that club. Not the case at Bayern though, they are probably in as good a position as they ever have been. Shrewd move on both parts in my opinion.

Yeah, the guy talks a lot of sense. Even in that follow up article he says that Bayern have been talking with Pep since before the end of last season so they must have been well aware that he was going to have a sabbatical and they seem to have been in touch with him during the entire time.

Braunschweig have set the (relentless) pace all season. They've been top every week bar the first one where they were joint top but 4th on GD. Hertha have found some form after an indifferent start just as we've had the wheels come off. We lost a friendly 1-3 at home last night so things don't bode well.

Austrian winger. Y'all bought him last week for around €400k. He's been linked with a move to Kaiserslautern for, like, a year...

Olcay Şahan from Kaiserslautern to Besiktas for €800k with 1.FCK rumoured to be spending the cash on Rapid Vienna's Christopher Drazan.

:excl: worthy. Aww yea.

Edited by GarethRDR

• 2 weeks later...

Borussia Dortmund coach Jurgen Klopp has said he wants to be the Bundesliga's version of Jose Mourinho to rival Bayern Munich's

head coach Pep Guardiola for the 2013/14 season.

Having won 14 titles in the four years he spent as Barcelona coach,

Guardiola often went head-to-head with Real Madrid boss Jose Mourinho in

Spanish football's 'El Clasico' rivalry.

Dortmund have won the German league for the last two seasons, leaving Bayern without any silverware since May 2010.

With Guardiola to take charge as Bayern coach on July 1, replacing current boss Jupp Heynckes, Klopp has playfully said he wants to be the Spaniard's new nemesis.

"I'll be the new Mourinho for Guardiola!" Klopp told German magazine Sport Bild.

"We want to be an unpleasant opponent for Bayern in the next few years.

"I don't believe that Pep has bad feelings toward his rivals though. I think that I will get along very well with Pep.

"If he doesn't like me over the 90 minutes or because of the result, that's not a problem."

http://tinyurl.com/a88v6hr

Go Klopp!

Â