Cricket: General Chat

Milfner

I hate the way they haven't performed today. No idea why Yuvraj Singh is still playing either but Pakistan have the best bowling attack in the tournament by a distance. they have always produced great bowlers. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, PaulC said:

I hate the way they haven't performed today. No idea why Yuvraj Singh is still playing either but Pakistan have the best bowling attack in the tournament by a distance. they have always produced great bowlers. 

I used to be mad on cricket when I was a kid. I grew up watching Wasim Akram and Waqar Younis leading the bowling attack for Pakistan. 

26 minutes ago, Rugeley Villa said:

I used to be mad on cricket when I was a kid. I grew up watching Wasim Akram and Waqar Younis leading the bowling attack for Pakistan. 

They weren't bad were they. I grew up watching Majid, Zaheer and Aisf Iqbal which kind of got me into liking batsmen with style. 

Pakistan were great today. The bowling performance was electric, backed up by batsmen ( Fakhar Zaman in paticular) being let off the leash, and left to go and express themselves. Magnificent performance. 

Another heavy defeat for Warwickshire, pathetic performance. As much as Troughton and Bell have been great servants to the club, I think it's time to look for replacements for both as it's clear they aren't up to the job.

I wonder what the odds are on us not winning a CC game in 2017?

In happier cricket news, Ireland and Afghanistan have been granted test status by the ICC. 

• Like 1

How much blame can you attach on Troughton? The writing was on the wall last season. Players are either too old or have lost their motivation. What is Clarke doing still playing first class cricket.  Has he got another year because of a promised benefit? Bell has been poor since he was dropped from the test side. 

• Like 1

Henry Blofeld retiring from commentating on cricket. Sorry but i dont really see the media love in for him.

In my mind he was desperately trying to be another Brian Johnstone but no where as entertaining as Jonners. Also, the annoying habit of invariably saying the same three things as the bowler runs in....."he's in, he's there, he bowls !". Oh and the inane chatter about bloody pigeons or the bloody no.37 bus passing by in the distance really got on my norks !

Apart from that he's probably alright i guess....

23 minutes ago, mottaloo said:

Henry Blofeld retiring from commentating on cricket. Sorry but i dont really see the media love in for him.

In my mind he was desperately trying to be another Brian Johnstone but no where as entertaining as Jonners. Also, the annoying habit of invariably saying the same three things as the bowler runs in....."he's in, he's there, he bowls !". Oh and the inane chatter about bloody pigeons or the bloody no.37 bus passing by in the distance really got on my norks !

Apart from that he's probably alright i guess....

giphy.gif

;)

I absolutely love Blowers. He's an institution, and one of the voices of Summer. A bright sunny day, with TMS on, and Henry telling you what's going down, is as wonderfully English, as it gets.

• Like 3

me too really, particaularly in latter years when he kept getting things muddled up. Brian Johstone, John Arlott, Trevor Bailey all legends. Agnew is very good. I hate Tufnell, Bpycott is fun. Blofeld was very good back in the 90s.

Agree with the Aggers comment. Tuffers offers the working class, geezer angle whilst Boycott is the cricketing equivalent of micky quinn, jumping on the media gravy train and can only offer little more than grumpy criticisms often involving his granny and rhubarb sticks. Or so it seems to me. 

Charles Dagnall reminds me of an agitated griff rhys jones.

But....yeah well it's just, like my opinion man :)

Edited by mottaloo
Spelling mistakes

Yes but Boycott was a great batsman, although a long time ago and knows his stuff unlike Quinn. Tuffers is just an idiot, doesn't offer any insight whatsoever. Maybe for me I just respect Boycotts opinion because I idolised him as a young kid. 

I did find myself running out of patience with Blowers.  He is an institution but basically if you're listening on the radio and the commentator is getting names muddled up, saying people are out when they're not etc it's pointless.  It was the same with CMJ in his latter years before he sadly passed away.  I generally like all the newer TMS commentators though Vaughan and Swann can be quite jarring sometimes.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, PaulC said:

Maybe for me I just respect Boycotts opinion because I idolised him as a young kid. 

Yes, he could bat albeit not the most exciting to watch.

It's just that hearing praise from boycott is as rare as rocking horse poo. I dunno perhaps he feels a little obliged to play the gruff yorkshireman role ?

Views on Boycott are often polemic. Yes he could bat but :- ducked out of the Trip to Australia so didn't face Lilian Thompson (left to Denis Amiss from memory) and ran out one of my favourite (non Warwickshire) players Derek Randall on his home ground with a totally selfish piece of cricket. Realise it is just an opinion though.

4 hours ago, veloman said:

Views on Boycott are often polemic. Yes he could bat but :- ducked out of the Trip to Australia so didn't face Lilian Thompson (left to Denis Amiss from memory) and ran out one of my favourite (non Warwickshire) players Derek Randall on his home ground with a totally selfish piece of cricket. Realise it is just an opinion though.

I think he explained the reasons he boycotted that trip and it was to do with the captain I think. I would have doubted it myself but then he face the most fearsome bowling attack of Holding Marshall, Garner and Roberts. He was totally selfish and played for himself. Amiss was Englands star at the time but that trip killed his career athough he did come back and make a double hundred against the windies in 76. I was a big fan of Amiss No helmets in that series against the lethal Thompson either. Lambs to the slaughter, worse than bodyline.

• Like 2

Boycott is nearly always right though. 

Blowers is ok. To a new cricket fan a few years ago I was like, "wtf is this old dude talking about?" - then you realise it's part of crickets charm and heritage, then you love it.

Tuffers can tell a story like your funny uncle, and is self depreciating, so I don't mind.

Swan I keep thinking is Jack dee talking, and seems quite uppish. 

Vaughn is a bit of a show off and I'm not that keen.

Re-watching the highlights of Dawid Malan's knock yesterday. That 6 off his second ball, really set his stall out. Lad looks a talent. Shame he can't spell David correctly mind!

• Like 1

Â