Cricket: General Chat

Milfner

The media built up India's chances in this game, when really it was a foregone conclusion. I think Starc is one hell of a bowler. At 25 the world is his oyster. i wonder if he will play in the ashes. Think at home with that attack they are favourites to win it. 

• Like 1

The media built up India's chances in this game, when really it was a foregone conclusion.

Yep.

India were fortunate that Finch and Smith threw it away when they did or we'd have hit another 30-40 runs, but 330 was always going to be too rich against our bowling lineup.

We also smashed them in every ODI we played in the summer.

I think there was a bit too much over rating of sides in this tournament based on big scores against poor teams.

• Like 2

The most unlikable character in cricket is probably Warner or Broad.

You don't get unlikable by being a shit player.

Johnson is a fiery competitor but what do people want? He's a fast bowler. Aggression from quicks is good for the game. How good was Riaz v Watson in the quarter final?

mentioned it a long time ago on here that he was a walking wicket and a bit of a joke(well in english media) a few years back and now he looks like the next Ponting.

It was also questioned would ENgland have put up with him as he had a few failures at start of Test career 

I think Steve Smith is also a more than useful leg spinner.

As for being unlikeable .... I wish both Warner and Johnson were English !

I wonder if the Black Caps will watch a video of the Trevor Chappell incident in their dressing room before the Final.

I really hope they don't reduce the number of teams at the next World Cup. After the way some of the associate teams played in this world cup, it would be an incredibly unpopular move to kick them out. I hope we get more teams. Seeing the developing nations play is one of the best things about the World Cup.

If it's about the length of the tournament, they just need to schedule more than one game a day for weekends and not have pools of 7 or whatever it is. The only reason the pools of 7 exist is to give the bigger nations a maximum chance of going through, even if they drop a game. It's a joke. You'll notice there is no such leeway in the football world cup, with only 3 group games making every game cutthroat.

16 teams, 4 pools of 4 with a single round robin for the group stage.

24 group stage games
4 quarter final games
2 semi final games
1 final.

That's 31 games with 16 teams. 2 more teams and 18 less games than this world cup. The big pools are stupid.

• Like 3

Sad story about Martin Crowe

BBC Sport 

Ex-New Zealand captain Martin Crowe says the Black Caps' World Cup final against Australia could be the last cricket match he watches.

The 52-year-old, who will be at the Melbourne Cricket Ground on Sunday, is battling cancer after his lymphoma returned in September.

"My precarious life ahead may not afford me the luxury of many more games to watch and enjoy," said Crowe.

"This is likely to be it. I can happily live with that."

I genuinely don't get why Broad is unlikeable to that extent - i.e "most unlikeable". I know Boof gave him stick for not walking when he hit the cover off one, and then the Aussie public gave him loads as a result, but that's hardly something unique to Broad - it's something that is ingrained in most cricketers, particularly Aussie ones (Gilchrist excepted) - "the umpire is there to decide if I'm out, I'm not doing his job for him" which is fair enough.

I was at the Adelaide test when Mitchell Johnson got him first ball, after Broad held up play by moving the sightscreen and all that, and it was brilliant sporting theatre. I detect that the Aussies don't like Broady because as you say, he's one of the (few) English cricketers at the moment who are a genuine threat.

If it's not for the pantomime aspects, then why is he so unlikeable? For me there are far worthier recipients of that tag, in the England team and generally. In the media in the UK, when Broad does radio or newspaper interviews he comes across as thoughtful and decent, with a good competitive streak - the same as most Aussie Cricketers.

Jimmy Anderson is a good guy off the pitch, but his behaviour on it has been appalling at times.

By and large almost all cricketers come across pretty well, overall. Mostly they are, like I said above, pantomime villains, but decent people.

• Like 2

I genuinely don't get why Broad is unlikeable to that extent - i.e "most unlikeable". I know Boof gave him stick for not walking when he hit the cover off one, and then the Aussie public gave him loads as a result, but that's hardly something unique to Broad - it's something that is ingrained in most cricketers, particularly Aussie ones (Gilchrist excepted) - "the umpire is there to decide if I'm out, I'm not doing his job for him" which is fair enough.

I was at the Adelaide test when Mitchell Johnson got him first ball, after Broad held up play by moving the sightscreen and all that, and it was brilliant sporting theatre. I detect that the Aussies don't like Broady because as you say, he's one of the (few) English cricketers at the moment who are a genuine threat.

If it's not for the pantomime aspects, then why is he so unlikeable? For me there are far worthier recipients of that tag, in the England team and generally. In the media in the UK, when Broad does radio or newspaper interviews he comes across as thoughtful and decent, with a good competitive streak - the same as most Aussie Cricketers.

Jimmy Anderson is a good guy off the pitch, but his behaviour on it has been appalling at times.

By and large almost all cricketers come across pretty well, overall. Mostly they are, like I said above, pantomime villains, but decent people.

I tend to agree in general.

Cricket is probably the one sport in the world where even if someone is a bit of a pantomime villain and they play for a rival nation, everyone loves to see good cricket played.

I went to the Australia v Pakistan quarter final at Adelaide Oval, and everyone was absolutely loving Riaz's spell to Watson. Probably my favourite day at the cricket ever was watching Brian Lara hit a double ton. There is always a bit of argy bargy and good characters etc, but ultimately everyone loves the theatre of cricket and loves to see good cricket played, by whoever it is.

It's nothing like football where i'd rather see an opposition player, even a nice one, break their leg than score a goal which could hurt our chances of survival.

I love watching DeVilliers, Kohli and the rise of New Zealand.

• Like 1

wish australia would jog off. they've won this thing enough fecking times. Come on New Zealand :(

lot of pressure on Boult and Southee at the change. 

Edited by Rodders

Don't underestimate the ability of the Aussie top order to crumble under pressure. I expect us to be well into the tail order by the pointy end of the game.

Edited by Ponky

Well done Australia but shame is was a damp squib of a final.

What this tournament has shown is how far England are off the pace in one day games. 

If there is a bigger rocket polisher in world cricket than Dave "Cowboy" Warner, I'll eat my hat. I can vouch first hand that, off the field, he is a tosser of the highest order.

He came from a Housing Commission (Government subsidised housing), and made something of himself. As noble as that is, he has no trouble letting everybody know, especially with his little posse in tow, strutting about his local area, when he feels like it, like he's king shit...

If I get the chance again, with fewer hangers on around him, I'd have no trouble putting one on him...

Utter, utter word removed...

Â