Cricket: General Chat

Milfner

Bell is a lovely steady player and deservces his place. Crazy thing is that Buttler comes in at 7 when he should be 3/4 Morgan is gash. The bowling is tame no pace or aggression (I don't blame Broad or Anderson because they are hugely over worked)  

Its  joke that England will waltz into the next WC and the "associates" will have to pre-qualify.

Cook must be laughing his arse off.

• Like 1

Its just like the football team though, the problems are easy to see but nobody wants to make the tough decision and work on them, England have been shoddy in last 2 world cups

Bell is a lovely steady player and deservces his place. Crazy thing is that Buttler comes in at 7 when he should be 3/4 Morgan is gash. The bowling is tame no pace or aggression (I don't blame Broad or Anderson because they are hugely over worked)  

Its  joke that England will waltz into the next WC and the "associates" will have to pre-qualify.

Cook must be laughing his arse off.

Being in another kamikaze run out and again getting to 60 off 80 balls and not going on, I'm sorry Bell has to take more responsibility as our leading run scorer of all time. I doubt he will play again in ODIs. The fact the ECB got rid of KP and said they wanted to build around people like Bell and Cook sums it all up. I know there are problems throughout the team and above as well, so I'm not blaming Bell, just saying he's as much of the problem as the rest.

Moores just screams failure. Graves's first job needs to be to sign up Gillespie or someone like him as coach.

It is the responsibility of the team management, coaches and captain to provide the enviroment for the players to perform well. Something it is obvious is not the case.

Would any other country want Moores as their coach? Almost certainly no
Would Morgan's form get him a place in any other side? Almost certainly no

Under Moores and Morgan we have suffered muddled tactics and strategy, with players being retained when their form would have had them omitted from any per nation. Moores was a dreadful faliure the first time he held the England role and his performance this time is no better.

We have got players capable of playing match winning cricket, if they are used properly and given proper coaching and strategic guidance.

Edited by PaulC
  • Like 1

What a disgrace this team are; however, I thought Jordan was unlucky to be given out: I think his bat had been grounded at some point before the ball hit the stumps and therefore the ball was dead but I am probably not fully conversant with the rules. I also reckon Moeen Ali has been 'found out' to a certain extent; don't think he has got a decent score for a while has he ? Morgan was never up' to it, I always thought he was over-rated but .... did play for Middlesex - so that helps.

I said earlier I would take Gillespie like a shot (he is even good enough for Warwickshire :D) but I bet he wouldn't take it.

• Like 1

re. Moeen Ali. Yep , he did get 100 the other week - but that was against Scotland !!!!  His scores otherwise are pretty poor; he his not the only one of course but I just thought he would have done better than that.

What a disgrace this team are; however, I thought Jordan was unlucky to be given out: I think his bat had been grounded at some point before the ball hit the stumps and therefore the ball was dead but I am probably not fully conversant with the rules.

He needed to have grounded his foot beyond the popping crease (whilst 'continuing to run further towards the wicket at that end') or have his bat still in contact with the ground to be in according to law 29.
  • Like 1

Moores and Downton both need to be sacked. Since those 2 have came in, England have lurched from one disaster to another.

Downton still think Moores is the coach of his generation FFS. Hopefully Graves kicks those two out as soon as he becomes chairman. 

Anderson and Bell both need to go from ODI's. Anderson is getting on and we really need him for the upcoming test series and that innings against Bangladesh typified Bell and his England ODI career. Get a half decent score, but waste loads of deliveries doing so and then get out by playing a stupid shot. 4 hundreds in 160+ ODI's is abysmal.

Oh and Morgan needs to be dropped for his own sanity, Root or Taylor as captain please permanently with Morgan coming in as a batsman and not as a captain when he rediscovers his form.

Moores record since his return:

Test: (2 vs Sri Lanka, 5 vs India) W3, D2, L2

Win %= 42.8%

ODI: (2 vs Scotland, 4 vs Austrailia, 7 vs India, 1 vs Bangladesh, 13 vs Sri Lanka, 1 vs NZ)

Won: 9

Lost: 16

NR: 1

Win %= 34.6%

T20: (1 vs Sri Lanka and 1 vs India)

Won: 1 

Lost: 1

Win %= 50%

Overall win percentage= 42.4%

Coach of his generation my arse. Moores fell out with 3 captains first time round and was awful and he is doing as bad as a job second time round. 

• Like 3

Can't argue with that.

Saying that, Bell is alright, he doesn't pull up trees with 100s admittedly, but he can give you a good base. 

Personally, I'd keep him in and put him a 3 with Ballance at 4.  Nice mixture of class and power there, they could build big scores between them I dare say.

But the whole organisation needs an overhaul, you can't play 1990's cricket in 2015 ODI's.

You can't have Ballance and Bell at 3 and 4. In today's modern odi cricket you need power hitters or players that will score a 100 plus frequently which neither Ballance and Bell are.

You can't have Ballance and Bell at 3 and 4. In today's modern odi cricket you need power hitters or players that will score a 100 plus frequently which neither Ballance and Bell are.

Ok, so name these mythical English players who will regularly hit 100s :lol:

Moeen can do it against naff teams.  Ballance can do it sometimes, Morgan is done confidence wise, Root isn't a big hitter, but can get good scores. 

Get KP back?

If look at England compared to other teams in the World Cup and can see the problems. Highest wicket taker is 5 FFS. Anderson is good in English conditions but is average anywhere else, only UAE dont have a player with more than 5 wickets so far and even that guy has a better average than Woakes

as for batting even though I feel he wouldnt have made that big a difference in the tournament as a whole but exiling Pietersen looks more stupid as it goes along, he was a match winner in a team with none. players like Root, Ali, Ballance, Bell are decent test players but not ODI. Ireland No.5 Balbirnie has more runs than Root or Bell so far in the tournament

the other problem for England is they only care about Test matches at home and will probably have New Zealand all out for 180 in 1st test and then the World Cup will be whitewashed over again

It's been a bit of a perfect storm, really.

• Playing an international 50 over competition when the domestic competition has been (till last year) a 40 over one. So there's not the depth of 50 over experience that other nations have.
  • The impact of T20 on batting and bowling - we don't have the same intensity of T20 comp as say the IPL or the Big Bash, and our players (mostly) don't play in those comps. So the lessons from T20 aren't absorbed.
  • Injuries - Broad and Anderson came into it both undercooked - not match fit and in good form
  • Stupid changes - in the build up having Taylor at 3, Woakes as opening bowler etc.  - then ditching all that at the last minute
  • Changing the Captain at the last minute - Inexperienced new Captain already struggling for form
  • A mediocre International coach - failed last time, so what numpty thought he'd do any better this time?
  • Squad selection - timid and traditional. Big hitters either not picked in the squad, or in the squad and not played - Hayles, Roy, Evans etc. 

The whole thing has been woeful.

• 2 weeks later...

so ECB talking of bringing Pietersen back  :lol:

cant make it up, he be 39 by end of next World Cup and a sign again of mis-management. He could have done a job this year but I dont think bringing him back into fold now will improve team

I doubt they'd be bringing him back with the next World Cup in mind, in fact I doubt he would play any white ball cricket at all. I think it would be over the dead bodies of those currently at the ECB but with the new chairman coming in and perhaps a new coach then he could put himself in the shop window by scoring lots of county runs. It's up to KP whether he wants to give up a guaranteed £300k in the IPL for the 1/10 chance of playing in the Ashes.

Â