Android: General Chat

NICKTHEFISH

7 hours ago, dubbs said:

Don't think it is tbf.  There's nothing obstructing it as the headlights come on in tunnels. 

It is supposed to work based on whether the headlights are on or off.  I tried setting it up based on the phone settings going from day to night at sunset but it always stays on night (dark).

It does appear to be a known issue ,and has been for a while but they are taking their time solving it!

There's a separate thread for android auto. I thought you were talking about a phone.

• 2 weeks later...

Does anyone have any idea how to have Android Chrome bookmarks easily accessible, a single click and they are displayed or a gesture and then they are displayed.

• 2 weeks later...
On 07/06/2023 at 11:42, Seat68 said:

Does anyone have any idea how to have Android Chrome bookmarks easily accessible, a single click and they are displayed or a gesture and then they are displayed.

Do you mean when you're using Chrome or on your phone homescreen ( I presume you're talking about a phone)

IIRC you can create homescreen icons that are effectively links to a bookmark. So you press that icon and it opens chrome and takes you straight to the page you've bookmarked

• Like 1

On 16/06/2023 at 08:58, Stevo985 said:

Do you mean when you're using Chrome or on your phone homescreen ( I presume you're talking about a phone)

IIRC you can create homescreen icons that are effectively links to a bookmark. So you press that icon and it opens chrome and takes you straight to the page you've bookmarked

You can also create shortcuts within Chrome so that a one/two letter search will divert to a particular URL. This has the advantage that it works on all devices that you are logged into, not just mobile.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, limpid said:

You can also create shortcuts within Chrome so that a one/two letter search will divert to a particular URL. This has the advantage that it works on all devices that you are logged into, not just mobile.

Yeah that’s how I use mine. Works across all my devices, even my work laptop

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

I have been switched from virgin mobile to O2 and since then the following icon appears on the top right of the phone (pl excuse my crude highlighting)....any idea what it might be ?

TIA

Screenshot_20230704_123853_Chrome~2.jpg

1 hour ago, mottaloo said:

I have been switched from virgin mobile to O2 and since then the following icon appears on the top right of the phone (pl excuse my crude highlighting)....any idea what it might be ?

TIA

NFC is active.

• Thanks 1

• 2 months later...

Oh and android, the absolute ****, updated to whatever the next version was and it then said “SD card has to be reformatted”, so that meant an age to fettle all the music files, playlists I’d made on the phone. That alone is a disqualifying feature. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, blandy said:

except on the Samsung, there’s Samsung email app, address book, phone, message thing, photo thing…voice thing.. all unwanted and can’t be removed. 

But if you don't like them, hide them in the launcher. Or change the launcher. The Samsung "own brand" apps are as dreadful as most own brand stuff and if you read the licence you'd never buy a Samsung device again (not just a phone).

• Like 2

1 minute ago, limpid said:

But if you don't like them, hide them in the launcher. Or change the launcher. The Samsung "own brand" apps are as dreadful as most own brand stuff and if you read the licence you'd never buy a Samsung device again (not just a phone).

I didn’t buy it :😁 . They’re all in a folder called “crap”, along with other non uninstallable apps like facepage, taking up space.

In terms of “ease of use” installing a new launcher is not great

13 hours ago, blandy said:

I didn’t buy it :😁 . They’re all in a folder called “crap”, along with other non uninstallable apps like facepage, taking up space.

In terms of “ease of use” installing a new launcher is not great

It's the same as installing any other app.

If it's a work phone, how much of this has been locked down / restricted by your employer? In your industry I'm surprised you are allowed a device with removable media for obvious reasons.

3 hours ago, limpid said:

If it's a work phone, how much of this has been locked down / restricted by your employer? In your industry I'm surprised you are allowed a device with removable media for obvious reasons.

I'll see if I can install a new launcher - I'd never heard of that before. Any recommendations?

7 minutes ago, blandy said:

I'll see if I can install a new launcher - I'd never heard of that before. Any recommendations?

I use Nova Launcher out of old habit. It looks like it's still well rated on the store so ignoring my habit bias it should be ok to try.

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.teslacoilsw.launcher

Edited by Tegis
link
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

26 minutes ago, Seat68 said:

Another vote for Nova Launcher. I paid for it and it is worth it, gives you a lot more freedom.

Can you just move it to your new phone so your new phone works exactly like your old phone? 

26 minutes ago, sidcow said:

Can you just move it to your new phone so your new phone works exactly like your old phone? 

I believe so, I haven't tested this, but there is a back up and restore function, so in theory you can back up your current settings, potentially how everything is sorted, and restore it. 

Yeah, my phone home and navigation screen using Nova still looks basically the same as it did on my HTC One X about a decade ago.

Every so often I get a new phone and try out the latest look, and quickly go back

• Like 1

5 hours ago, limpid said:

Did one, then had to fettle settings to make it default, then tried it. it was bobbins. Deleted it, tried another one, took several attempts to set it as default, then had to fettle its settings, but this one actually allowed me to do the thing of hiding the junk apps, so that was good, but the weather widget on the lock /home screen has vanished. Now trying to get that back.

So on the plus side, configured the phone differently. On the minus side, still not got rid of the space filling junk apps, and a lot of fiddling about and just discovered I have to pay to go "pro" to enable widgets on this launcher...

Probably goona bin this one off too - it was the one with the highest rating on the store, and to be fair it is simple and genuinely different to all the others - Niagara it's called.

3 hours ago, blandy said:

Did one, then had to fettle settings to make it default, then tried it. it was bobbins. Deleted it, tried another one, took several attempts to set it as default, then had to fettle its settings, but this one actually allowed me to do the thing of hiding the junk apps, so that was good, but the weather widget on the lock /home screen has vanished. Now trying to get that back.

So on the plus side, configured the phone differently. On the minus side, still not got rid of the space filling junk apps, and a lot of fiddling about and just discovered I have to pay to go "pro" to enable widgets on this launcher...

Probably goona bin this one off too - it was the one with the highest rating on the store, and to be fair it is simple and genuinely different to all the others - Niagara it's called.

That's the one I use. You install it from the Play Store, click open and there's a card on the new launcher saying "set Niagara is default launcher". I assume you are running an older version of Android than me, but none of that's changed in several years.

As recommended above, Nova launcher might be a better choice. You've chosen a particularly minimalist launcher for your first experience.

The launcher won't get rid of the junkware that your employer has paid for, but you can completely hide any app from the launcher. I assume that for you the "space filling" isn't a problem as you are using external storage.

• Like 1

Â