Android: General Chat

NICKTHEFISH

• 2 weeks later...

Anyone know of an app which let's me delay an attempted Bluetooth connection before attempting to connect? I need it to connect to my Android head unit but it takes the unit about 30 seconds to fully initialize.

For whatever reason it doesn't connect automatically once the device is ready.

Edited by dubbs

54 minutes ago, dubbs said:

Anyone know of an app which let's me delay an attempted Bluetooth connection before attempting to connect? I need it to connect to my Android head unit but it takes the unit about 30 seconds to fully initialize.

For whatever reason it doesn't connect automatically once the device is ready.

I don't really understand the question. It will attempt to connect when both devices are in "ready to connect" status.

Macrodriod has lots of options which might help.  The full version is one of the freebies if you sign up to Android Intelligence (affiliate link).

22 minutes ago, limpid said:

I don't really understand the question. It will attempt to connect when both devices are in "ready to connect" status.

Macrodriod has lots of options which might help.  The full version is one of the freebies if you sign up to Android Intelligence (affiliate link).

I know I haven't worded it very well. Basically it's not automatically connecting to the head unit when the unit is ready. It'll connect if I do it manually although this also seems to take 2 attempts before it works.  First world problems and all that! Thanks for the link though I'll have a gander.

• 1 month later...

Got a Pixel 7 today. Upgraded from a Pixel 5. So far it's excellent though the increased display size will take some getting used to. 

Not sure why mobile phone are getting bigger. The size of the pixel 5 was perfect imo. 

13 hours ago, PieFacE said:

Got a Pixel 7 today. Upgraded from a Pixel 5. So far it's excellent though the increased display size will take some getting used to. 

Not sure why mobile phone are getting bigger. The size of the pixel 5 was perfect imo. 

Did you take the Buds or the Watch as your freebie?

5 minutes ago, limpid said:

Did you take the Buds or the Watch as your freebie?

Got the buds. Watch was only available with a Pixel Pro order, but that phone was definitely too big for me. 

The buds are quite nice tho

Edited by PieFacE
  • Like 1

Can anyone help with a problem. My work/travel phone turns itself on. I’ve disabled everything around schedules, such as bedtime and alarms and stuff. But I power it down, put it in a drawer and a few hours later check on it, and it’s back on. Eg power off at midday yesterday and it turned itself on at about 10pm. I’ve looked on the internet and done the basic suggestions apart from a factory reset. Any ideas?

4 hours ago, blandy said:

Can anyone help with a problem. My work/travel phone turns itself on. I’ve disabled everything around schedules, such as bedtime and alarms and stuff. But I power it down, put it in a drawer and a few hours later check on it, and it’s back on. Eg power off at midday yesterday and it turned itself on at about 10pm. I’ve looked on the internet and done the basic suggestions apart from a factory reset. Any ideas?

Sounds like faulty hardware, but try a factory reset.

• Thanks 1

23 minutes ago, blandy said:

Didn't fix it. I don't think it's hardware, I think it's code.

Something is firing the "wake evant". If the phone is turned off, there isn't much code running. I suspect a fault in the charging circuit. 

1 hour ago, limpid said:

I suspect a fault in the charging circuit. 

It's possible, I guess. It's the consistency of occurrence that makes me think it's software. A charging circuit with a dry joint or dicky connection wouldn't consistently "think" it's had a charging cable just connected several hours after the phone is powered down, every single time, is my line of thinking.

The next test is to basically delete everything (factory reset) and then not load all the stuff back on, but see if it behaves for a few days with no apps or anything else at all set it up, doing stuff little by little.

31 minutes ago, blandy said:

It's possible, I guess. It's the consistency of occurrence that makes me think it's software. A charging circuit with a dry joint or dicky connection wouldn't consistently "think" it's had a charging cable just connected several hours after the phone is powered down, every single time, is my line of thinking.

The next test is to basically delete everything (factory reset) and then not load all the stuff back on, but see if it behaves for a few days with no apps or anything else at all set it up, doing stuff little by little.

I wasn't thinking a dry joint, more likely a faulty voltage / temperature sensor or a short in the battery itself.

I used to know about phone internals, but that knowledge is all really old now (and was mainly on the radio side).

• Like 1

On 13/10/2022 at 21:03, PieFacE said:

I upgraded from the Pixel 5 to the 7 Pro and it's a little too big if I am honest plus there are a couple of real niggles with it. Firstly why move the fingerprint scanner onto the front screen, it was much better on the back of the phone . Secondly why can I not now turn the bloody thing if just by long pressing the power button.

4 hours ago, mykeyb said:

I upgraded from the Pixel 5 to the 7 Pro and it's a little too big if I am honest plus there are a couple of real niggles with it. Firstly why move the fingerprint scanner onto the front screen, it was much better on the back of the phone . Secondly why can I not now turn the bloody thing if just by long pressing the power button.

My Pixel 5 brings up the power menu - did you apply OS updates? They added it because people turned phones off when accidentally leaning on the power button.

19 hours ago, limpid said:

My Pixel 5 brings up the power menu - did you apply OS updates? They added it because people turned phones off when accidentally leaning on the power button.

My 5 did the same. The power button on the 7pro brings up Google Assistant at the bottom of the screen asking you to say "Power Off" 

1 hour ago, mykeyb said:

My 5 did the same. The power button on the 7pro brings up Google Assistant at the bottom of the screen asking you to say "Power Off" 

My 7 brings up the same menu. Check the gestures you have configured.

I've had my Xiaomi t11 pro for a few months now and up until this week I've loved it.  Now it's disconnected from my Echo Auto and won't reconnect.  I've deleted the Bluetooth connection and factory reset both the echo and the phone.  Even swapped the echo for a new one and got the same result so it's obviously the phone.  It's driving me nuts cuz I use the echo all the time.  Also since the factory reset of the phone, whenever I'm browsing the net (I use Chrome) there's wierd glitches where a section of the screen gets replicated and flashes.  Any ideas?  I've been thinking of trying another phone just to 100% be sure it's a software issue with the Xaiomi.

Â