Android: General Chat

NICKTHEFISH

2 hours ago, dubbs said:

I've had my Xiaomi t11 pro for a few months now and up until this week I've loved it.  Now it's disconnected from my Echo Auto and won't reconnect.  I've deleted the Bluetooth connection and factory reset both the echo and the phone.  Even swapped the echo for a new one and got the same result so it's obviously the phone.  It's driving me nuts cuz I use the echo all the time.  Also since the factory reset of the phone, whenever I'm browsing the net (I use Chrome) there's wierd glitches where a section of the screen gets replicated and flashes.  Any ideas?  I've been thinking of trying another phone just to 100% be sure it's a software issue with the Xaiomi.

Screen glitches suggest a hardware. not software fault.

33 minutes ago, limpid said:

Screen glitches suggest a hardware. not software fault.

But they only happen within Chrome which is why I suggested software? I dunno though. Any suggestions for alternative to Chrome?

Edited by dubbs

27 minutes ago, dubbs said:

But they only happen within Chrome which is why I suggested software? I dunno though. Any suggestions for alternative to Chrome?

You've just done a factory reset, how many other apps have you tried? Chrome is probably the most memory intensive app you've launched.

14 minutes ago, limpid said:

You've just done a factory reset, how many other apps have you tried? Chrome is probably the most memory intensive app you've launched.

YouTube, Spotify are the only others I've tried and had no issue.

2 minutes ago, dubbs said:

YouTube, Spotify are the only others I've tried and had no issue.

Those use little memory in comparison. Try another phone. It's fairly unlikely that you've developed two software issues at the same time. Have you upgraded the OS on either device. Does the phone pair with other devices?

It's still under warranty.

52 minutes ago, limpid said:

Those use little memory in comparison. Try another phone. It's fairly unlikely that you've developed two software issues at the same time. Have you upgraded the OS on either device. Does the phone pair with other devices?

It's still under warranty.

Yeah the device connects to other devices. I'm just charging my previous phone to try.

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, dubbs said:

Old device works without an issue.  Now trying to restore everything from the old phone onto a factory reset phone.

Send the phone back for repair / replacement. Or if you have accidental damage cover, you can probably claim on that - you must have dropped it at least once. The excess will probably be less grief than dealing with the vendor who'll try and (illegally) fob you off to the manufacturer..

Recovery should be largely automatic unless you've turned off the backup / restore options in your Google account.

• Thanks 1

On 17/10/2022 at 16:25, limpid said:

I wasn't thinking a dry joint, more likely a faulty voltage / temperature sensor or a short in the battery itself.

I used to know about phone internals, but that knowledge is all really old now (and was mainly on the radio side).

Fwiw, since factory resetting again a week ago, it’s been completely fine (touch wood). I’ve not fettled much in terms of tweaking any settings and will take it step by step.

• Like 1

My Pixel six has taken to rebooting twice a day since the October update.

The phone is perfectly good in itself, but **** me, Google have consistently **** something up with every single update since launch.

13 hours ago, Anthony said:

My Pixel six has taken to rebooting twice a day since the October update.

The phone is perfectly good in itself, but **** me, Google have consistently **** something up with every single update since launch.

They put out two updates most months for Pixels. How many of those have caused you problems?

(Disclaimer, I didn't have this problem on my 6 Pro before I part-exchanged it).

2 hours ago, limpid said:

They put out two updates most months for Pixels. How many of those have caused you problems?

(Disclaimer, I didn't have this problem on my 6 Pro before I part-exchanged it).

Well, most of them. I haven't kept detailed records, but issues have been.

Battery drain

Overheating

Wifi locking up

bluetooth not working

random temporary freezing

hard crash

and now the rebooting.

36 minutes ago, Anthony said:

Well, most of them. I haven't kept detailed records, but issues have been.

Battery drain

Overheating

Wifi locking up

bluetooth not working

random temporary freezing

hard crash

and now the rebooting.

At what point will you send it back? It sounds like you got a Friday special.

I have a group of around 10 friends with Pixel 6 /  6 Pro / 6A and none of them have had these issues. What did your vendor say when you called for support? They usually just swap out the handset.

There was a known fault with wifi / bluetooth connectivity on some early 6/6P handsets, but that'll only be fixed by changing the hardware.

How do you recover from a "hard crash"?

13 minutes ago, limpid said:

At what point will you send it back? It sounds like you got a Friday special.

I have a group of around 10 friends with Pixel 6 /  6 Pro / 6A and none of them have had these issues. What did your vendor say when you called for support? They usually just swap out the handset.

There was a known fault with wifi / bluetooth connectivity on some early 6/6P handsets, but that'll only be fixed by changing the hardware.

How do you recover from a "hard crash"?

I got it direct from Google. Each time an update comes out they fix an issue and create another. Haven't had a conversation with them as I always thought it was a software issue. 

My friend bought one at the same time and she had no end of issues so got it replaced. And the replacement is faulty; crap reception on all radios with the accompanying battery drain. She's getting that replaced too. 

Hard crash where it just locks up. Hold the power button in for 3 or 4 hours*, then it reboots. 

*may be an exaggeration. 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Anthony said:

I got it direct from Google. Each time an update comes out they fix an issue and create another. Haven't had a conversation with them as I always thought it was a software issue. 

My friend bought one at the same time and she had no end of issues so got it replaced. And the replacement is faulty; crap reception on all radios with the accompanying battery drain. She's getting that replaced too. 

Hard crash where it just locks up. Hold the power button in for 3 or 4 hours*, then it reboots. 

*may be an exaggeration. 

If I'd had an experience like that, I'd have had my money back if the first replacement didn't fix it.

Google are fairly "no quibble" about replacing hardware in my experience. 

On 23/10/2022 at 09:02, dubbs said:

I've had my Xiaomi t11 pro for a few months now and up until this week I've loved it.  Now it's disconnected from my Echo Auto and won't reconnect.  I've deleted the Bluetooth connection and factory reset both the echo and the phone.  Even swapped the echo for a new one and got the same result so it's obviously the phone.  It's driving me nuts cuz I use the echo all the time.  Also since the factory reset of the phone, whenever I'm browsing the net (I use Chrome) there's wierd glitches where a section of the screen gets replicated and flashes.  Any ideas?  I've been thinking of trying another phone just to 100% be sure it's a software issue with the Xaiomi.

Finally solved this issue.  It's to do with an update to the Alexa app.  Seems a few people have the same issue.  Why is it so difficult to roll back to a previous version?? I've deleted the latest version then had to search for a previous one, then trusting a site I've not used before to download the APK for it. But at least it's all working again now.

53 minutes ago, dubbs said:

Finally solved this issue.  It's to do with an update to the Alexa app.  Seems a few people have the same issue.  Why is it so difficult to roll back to a previous version?? I've deleted the latest version then had to search for a previous one, then trusting a site I've not used before to download the APK for it. But at least it's all working again now.

I can imagine it's not worth contacting Amazon either. I don't even know what their support looks like.

I'm not sure how this could have caused screen glitches in Chrome though.

2 hours ago, limpid said:

I can imagine it's not worth contacting Amazon either. I don't even know what their support looks like.

I'm not sure how this could have caused screen glitches in Chrome though.

Me neither.  Can only guess at a possible issue during installation after the factory reset as I've not had it since I reset it again.  

One plus for Amazon was they replaced the Echo Auto without any fuss even though it turns out that wasn't the problem.

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

I got a great deal on a Pixel 6a for my daughter for Christmas. I’ve just spent a bit of time getting the bare bones setup for her on Christmas day and it’s a great bit of kit, very impressed.

rrp was £399 but they had £100 off. Then another promotion of enhanced trade in on old handset (£100 boost) so the old and tired iPhone 6s in a drawer gets another £138 off. 3.75% Cashback from Quidco made it just under £150 all things considered. 

25 minutes ago, Genie said:

I got a great deal on a Pixel 6a for my daughter for Christmas. I’ve just spent a bit of time getting the bare bones setup for her on Christmas day and it’s a great bit of kit, very impressed.

rrp was £399 but they had £100 off. Then another promotion of enhanced trade in on old handset (£100 boost) so the old and tired iPhone 6s in a drawer gets another £138 off. 3.75% Cashback from Quidco made it just under £150 all things considered. 

Its a stupid good value phone right now. It's £238 here without any extra deals. It's basically the Pixel 6 with the pixel 5 camera, 60hz display and a little less RAM.

• Like 1

Â