Android: General Chat

The_Lions_Roar

• 2 weeks later...

I might be in the market for a new phone soon I suspect. My OnePlus 5t has been a great phone but the battery life is absolutely tanking suddenly and doesn't seem to have any rogue app usage so suspect it's reaching the end of its life. In fairness it's basically become a work phone over the last 18 months so it's gone from a pretty charmed life to being hammered 5 days a week 9 to 5. 

Time to trawl the phone reviews again (before I get another OnePlus...).

3 hours ago, Chindie said:

I might be in the market for a new phone soon I suspect. My OnePlus 5t has been a great phone but the battery life is absolutely tanking suddenly and doesn't seem to have any rogue app usage so suspect it's reaching the end of its life. In fairness it's basically become a work phone over the last 18 months so it's gone from a pretty charmed life to being hammered 5 days a week 9 to 5. 

Time to trawl the phone reviews again (before I get another OnePlus...).

Well, I have an opinion here...

I used to have a OnePlus 5 limited edition (coloured buttons dontcha know) and loved it. Currently have a 6T which I like very much, but is beginning to show its age; battery related, just like yours. Am on the lookout for a new phone.

I won't be getting another OnePlus, for two reasons.

One, they've shut down their UK operations. This means that if, for example you want them to fit a new battery, it gets farmed out to a 3rd party who try to **** you over. Mate had a OnePlus 6 and went through all the channels. After having the phone in their possession for 6 weeks they finally responded to communication saying they 'needed' to replace her screen too as there was a dead pixel. They would only replace the battery if they could replace the screen too. Oh, and they couldn't get hold of the battery either, so god knows how that was going to work. She told them to **** right off and return the phone as was. So, she was out 20 odd quid for postage, had to go without her phone for six weeks and had spent ages going back and forth to try to get some kind of update on what was happening. (She would get messages saying "Thanks for your email, we'll get back to you in 48 hrs" Never happened). So, on that alone, no. No more.

Two, they've now merged with Oppo and the OnePlus Oxygen OS is no more; it is being 'rolled in to' Oppo's ColorOS which has no 'Material You' theming, has a bunch of bloatware that you can't uninstall (Facebook anyone?) and other stuff I really don't like.

HxSyJOZ.png

We know what is best for you? **** no.

So, I'm kind of pinning my hopes on the Pixel 6 announcement this week. If I'm honest, the thing I'm most pinning my hopes on is the price. If it's £500 ish I'm going to get one.

• Like 1

Ah....in that case I may also keep an eye on what Google is up to this week.

From a look around it seems expectations are the Pixel will very competitively priced.

Edited by Chindie

1 hour ago, Anthony said:

So, I'm kind of pinning my hopes on the Pixel 6 announcement this week.

Android could do with a shot in the arm (he he) as Qualcomm has gone very Intel in the last couple of years. My Pixel 4 (855 chip) feels about the same as the new 888s

And google promising 5 years of android support on the 6 with its own chipset is much needed. Apple has been miles ahead here

21 minutes ago, Tegis said:

Android could do with a shot in the arm (he he) as Qualcomm has gone very Intel in the last couple of years. My Pixel 4 (855 chip) feels about the same as the new 888s

And google promising 5 years of android support on the 6 with its own chipset is much needed. Apple has been miles ahead here

Yeah I'm waiting for the Pixel 6 announcement as for the first time ever I'm considering an iPhone. One of the new Xiaomi's also has my interest. The rumours that this will be the most expensive Pixel yet have me worried though.

17 minutes ago, Keyblade said:

Yeah I'm waiting for the Pixel 6 announcement as for the first time ever I'm considering an iPhone. One of the new Xiaomi's also has my interest. The rumours that this will be the most expensive Pixel yet have me worried though.

The rumours are the opposite.

• Thanks 1

The camera bar is marketing earning its money. Ostensibly it's an ugly and awkward part of its design, so of course they just own it as a part of its identity.

Otherwise, looks like a solid deal. Powerful and premium design (camera bump aside) and sold at a price chopping inside it's competitors.

23 minutes ago, Chindie said:

The camera bar is marketing earning its money. Ostensibly it's an ugly and awkward part of its design, so of course they just own it as a part of its identity.

Otherwise, looks like a solid deal. Powerful and premium design (camera bump aside) and sold at a price chopping inside it's competitors.

Also you get the £350 Bose headphones thrown in if you order in the next week, Stick them on ebay for, I dunno, half that? Could be worth it.

OTOH you're going to have to shell out for a decent charger and a case.

50 minutes ago, Anthony said:

Also you get the £350 Bose headphones thrown in if you order in the next week, Stick them on ebay for, I dunno, half that? Could be worth it.

OTOH you're going to have to shell out for a decent charger and a case.

Ordered the Pro. I don't use cases and I have high power USB-C chargers everywhere already. The battery life will be enough that you won't need a rapid charger unless you really want it. Always best to top up charge when you can anyway.

2 hours ago, limpid said:

Ordered the Pro. I don't use cases and I have high power USB-C chargers everywhere already. The battery life will be enough that you won't need a rapid charger unless you really want it. Always best to top up charge when you can anyway.

Just ordered the regular. Most importantly, what colour did you go for? I went with Seafoam, cos I'm a little bit fey.

9 hours ago, Anthony said:

Just ordered the regular. Most importantly, what colour did you go for? I went with Seafoam, cos I'm a little bit fey.

Stormy Black. I don't think Seafoam is available for Pro.

On 18/10/2021 at 18:48, Keyblade said:

I got the new Xiaomi POCO F3 back at the end of August and I have absolutely no complaints. Great spec for that price.

Tell you something, they're extremely close and mine comes out on top in some, plus has a higher combined CPU GHz and it's less than half the price (mine is 8Gb RAM version POCO).

Link

7e6dc4e4284891a1357a51eed20bf51a.png

• Like 1

23 hours ago, BOF said:

I got the new Xiaomi POCO F3 back at the end of August and I have absolutely no complaints. Great spec for that price.

Tell you something, they're extremely close and mine comes out on top in some, plus has a higher combined CPU GHz and it's less than half the price (mine is 8Gb RAM version POCO).

Loos good.

How much  per supported year? Must be close. Five years of support for the Pixel = £120 per year.

You can't compare CPU speed between architectures.

9 minutes ago, limpid said:

How much  per supported year? Must be close. Five years of support for the Pixel = £120 per year.

My company pays the bills. I just bought the phone outright. No idea on any other costs.

3 minutes ago, BOF said:

My company pays the bills. I just bought the phone outright. No idea on any other costs.

How many years of updates will you get? I assume it's two. So it's £150 per year.

On 23/10/2021 at 09:30, limpid said:

How many years of updates will you get? I assume it's two. So it's £150 per year.

Looking at the Xiaomi 11T Pro, they promised 3 years of Android updates and 4 years of security updates. Not sure if that's true across the board for their phones, but that's only 1 year off the Pixel promise (in terms of security updates).

59 minutes ago, Keyblade said:

Looking at the Xiaomi 11T Pro, they promised 3 years of Android updates and 4 years of security updates. Not sure if that's true across the board for their phones, but that's only 1 year off the Pixel promise (in terms of security updates).

It is indeed. And it's £499 (for the 128GB model). This is only for the 11T phones.

• Like 1

Â