Android: General Chat

NICKTHEFISH

If he needs to rely on the battery, then a phone with exchangeable batteries would seem essential.

I don't know how you measure the strength of internet, but I assume you are talking about the network's performance here. Tell him to stay on the same network.

If he needs to rely on the battery, then a phone with exchangeable batteries would seem essential.

I don't know how you measure the strength of internet, but I assume you are talking about the network's performance here. Tell him to stay on the same network.

I mean speed rather than strength, which i gather means 4g over 3g?

I don't know what "trade constantly" involves, but I'd have thought 2G would be adequate for transactional activities. ie. The phones data capabilities aren't relevant.

I don't know what "trade constantly" involves, but I'd have thought 2G would be adequate for transactional activities. ie. The phones data capabilities aren't relevant.

I think what zak means is trades stocks and shares and if so can see why a fast reliable data connection would be important. 

I think what zak means is trades stocks and shares and if so can see why a fast reliable data connection would be important.

Low latency perhaps, but not "fast". When you are talking about transactions, there is no difference between 3G and LTS.  (What the marketers call 4G is really 3.5G at best.) Personally I'd stick with 3G for the lower power use.

I'll be expecting several reports of your experience with it. It's with a heavy heart I passed on that thing.

First impression.

Well, it comes with encryption enabled by default which made it slower than my Z Ultra. I know encryption is a good thing but bloody hell. Turned it off and the thing flies.

The camera is really good. But I'm used to a substandard one so anything is better really. Very happy with it so far. I'll try to post an image later on when there is daylight.

I'm was not a fan of the LCD-density setting, everything looked overblown and i want space, and to change that root is required. So I did. Very happy now.

Otherwise its a solid solid phone. Can't really comment on size as for me this is a downgrade.

Another annoyance among all the other awesome stuff. The phone has a notification LED, but it's disabled, presumably to show off the AMOLED screens capability to show notifications without lighting the whole screen. But if you miss the initial notification it goes dark and does not show until you pick the phone up again.

To light the hidden (coloured) LED you need root and and app from the playstore called Light Flow costing 2 quid.

Or install a custom ROM

Light Flow is fun, I had it on my Nexus 4.  

I had a play with a Nexus 6 today actually.  One of the lads at work has one.  It's virtually the same size as the iPhone 6 plus if we are talking about it's footprint but it's quite a lot thicker and the screen is considerably bigger because the iPhone has huge bezels top and bottom.  I couldn't really tell the difference between the Quad HD (2560*1440, roughly 500 pixels per inch) of the Nexus 6 or the full HD (1920*1080, roughly 400 PPI) of the iPhone during the two minutes I had it in my hand for, I'm sure it is noticeable with a bit more time because the jump is bigger than that from 720p to 1080p and I've noticed that since I switched from the Nexus 4.  I guess 1080p is such a standard for video content now that anything higher is still a bit ahead of it's time but I'm sure it would come in handy for web browsing. I'm still not sure it's worth the trade off in battery life.  It's an extra million and a half pixels per frame and that has to consume a lot of power.  I'm still in the "new phone heavy use" phase and am finishing the day with 35-50% battery. I could get two days out of this thing if I wanted. 

The camera is disappointing on the Nexus 6.  It seems incredibly slow to focus compared to the iPhone.  The more I see it the more I am convinced that this is a software issue that Google really need to fix.  The N5 camera has improved a lot since launch with updates so maybe the N6 will follow suit.  Repeating something I said before, but I really do hope that new camera API which has been rolled out with Lollipop inspires some great things during the coming months. 

I'm still not sure it's worth the trade off in battery life.  It's an extra million and a half pixels per frame and that has to consume a lot of power.

I agree with that as a statement, but I suspect that compared to the drain of a backlight it's largely irrelevant.

The 6 seems too large, so I've ruled that out. Otherwise considering the one plus one.

5.5 to 6 inches difference is minuscule if you are thinking OneplusOne. I put a g3 beside my Nexus6 and they are really close in size.

Nexus 5 is the best phone I've ever owned.

Someone asked me to recommend him a phone to buy outright today. It should have been the nexus 6 but Google have buggered that one up. There's such a huge gap at the moment I would have been recommending an iPhone 6 if he wasn't so anti apple.

So g3 was the best I could come up with. But off contract prices are going to be way higher than the £299 which the n5 was sold at.

We need an update to the 5. Better battery and camera, with the incremented chip set.

• 2 weeks later...
I love my Nexus 4 but the battery is rubbish, I bought a new battery but it made no improvement. I even bought a tablet to take some burden off the phone when I browse the net in the evening.
Even with light use it struggles to get from 6am to 10pm. I've removed a load of apps in case they were draining the battery, no effect.

N5 looks good on paper but I worry I'd be jumping out of the frying pan into the fire as reports are that its battery is not so great either.

I'd say that was about right for the nexus 4, the battery was never great to begin with, 6am to 10pm is pretty much the whole waking day, I remember my n4 just about doing that from brand new.

Â