Android: General Chat

NICKTHEFISH

I think it's unlikely that Google are driven by hardware sales when they have no margin and I can't see that 8" will open a new marketplace. But who knows? I'm expecting a new Nexus 10 soon, unless they do something like produce an 8" and a 12"?

The more units of hardware they sell the more of the marketplace they have a hold upon? If they're not tempting people away from the ipad mini with the 7 and they think that may be down to the screen size then it won't cost them too much in terms of r&d to release an 8 inch version, I wouldn't have thought.

But I don't think Google care about hardware sales. They are developing markets for others to exploit and they make their money from services. If they have identified that there is a market to create with 8" tablets, then they will. Otherwise I don't see why they'd be interested.

I think the recent reveal of Project Tango points to this, as does the disposal of Motorola Mobility. They don't want to make hardware.

If I'm right, Google won't care if the ipad mini is selling more than the N7 (is it? I don't know how to verify this). Jobs told us that there will never be an ipad mini as "This size isn't sufficient to create great tablet apps in our opinion". Google created this market and there are a lot more users of Google's services as a result of it.

• Like 1

I dont think that it is 100% correct to say that Google dont care about hardware sales because if they didnt why bother with the Nexus program.

What I think Google wont do is continue to release hardware into an arena overflowing with competition which is exactly the battleground of the 7 inch tablets, Why has the Nexus 10 replacement not surfaced? Are they rethinking the specs, or are they looking to see if there is a market at all for a nexus 10 among all the other 10.1 inch tablets.

I have seen more deals on the latest nexus 7 than I ever saw on the original version, many rumours that the sales arent as strong as Google want it to be. Google wont want to lose money so will look at opportunities to put out hardware into a marketplace that isnt at saturation point.

Time will tell.

IMO the S5 is a bit of a snore fest really, but that's less down to Samsung and more down to new mobile phones being more evolutionary, rather than revolutionary.

Rather than gimmicks like a finger print sensor or heart rate sensor, can't they just sort the **** batteries out instead?

My nexus 7 died on me the other day. Won't turn on and the won't charge, when I connect it to a laptop it says the unit has malfunctioned only 14 months old.

Been told I have to contact Asus direct I'm not expecting them to be cheap

Edited by phily85

I'll save the details for when Limpid arrives as he knows all this stuff like the back of his hand.

But in short, warranty or no warranty, 14 months isn't deemed a reasonable amount of time for the goods to last, so the retailer should replace it.

I'll save the details for when Limpid arrives as he knows all this stuff like the back of his hand.

But in short, warranty or no warranty, 14 months isn't deemed a reasonable amount of time for the goods to last, so the retailer should replace it.

I know what you mean, but it can be a lot of hassle and you could have to threaten legal etc.

Scan are doing manufacturer refurbished Nexus 7's including official case for £79 delivered.

After having the S3 for 18 months I have no desire to have another Samsung phone any time soon.

I had mine less than a year and I was very pleased to see the back of it. Really surprised it has/had such a strong reputation.

My nexus 7 died on me the other day. Won't turn on and the won't charge, when I connect it to a laptop it says the unit has malfunctioned only 14 months old.

Been told I have to contact Asus direct I'm not expecting them to be cheap

There is a known fault where the battery gets below a point where it can start charging. It's sometimes recoverable, do some Googling.

It is reasonable to expect high end electronics to last longer than 14 months. Read up on the sales of goods act and contact your credit card company if the retailer is not helpful (you did use a credit card, didn't you?).

Â