Android: General Chat

NICKTHEFISH

Hope it's ok to post in here, it's an Android app issue so figured this was the best place to put it.

Anyone used the Google Play Movies App?

I rented a movie from there a couple of weeks back. I rented it to play on my computer and it wouldn't work (for reasons I've now solved).

So I decided I'd watch it on my phone. But the app would play the movie for 10 minutes and then shut it down. It didn't shut down the whole app, just the movie playback. And it wouldn't have saved my place in the movie. so I had to watch it in 10 minute bursts, finding my place each time.

I emailed google and couldn't get an answer for my problem. But they did give me a refund and told me I could use the Youtube app to watch my movie if it happened again.

So I believed them, and "rented" another movie last week (this time specifically to watch on my phone). Same thing happened with the app, and YouTube didn't work either! (gave me a connection error every time, even though any other YouTube video worked)

Anyone got any experience? Is the app shit or am I just unlucky? 

(yeah, I've googled all this, couldn't get an answer from anywhere, which makes me think it's not a popular problem)

I use it all the time to rent and buy movies to watch on my chromecast. Works perfectly, sorry :( I just thought a negative was better than no positives.

Have you tried it on other people's connections, or on good 3G?

Hope it's ok to post in here, it's an Android app issue so figured this was the best place to put it.

I rented a movie from there a couple of weeks back. I rented it to play on my computer and it wouldn't work (for reasons I've now solved).

So I decided I'd watch it on my phone. But the app would play the movie for 10 minutes and then shut it down. It didn't shut down the whole app, just the movie playback. And it wouldn't have saved my place in the movie. so I had to watch it in 10 minute bursts, finding my place each time.

I emailed google and couldn't get an answer for my problem. But they did give me a refund and told me I could use the Youtube app to watch my movie if it happened again.

So I believed them, and "rented" another movie last week (this time specifically to watch on my phone). Same thing happened with the app, and YouTube didn't work either! (gave me a connection error every time, even though any other YouTube video worked)

(yeah, I've googled all this, couldn't get an answer from anywhere, which makes me think it's not a popular problem)

I use it all the time to rent and buy movies to watch on my chromecast. Works perfectly, sorry :( I just thought a negative was better than no positives.

I haven't. But I don't think it's a connection issue. Everything else on the net was working, including other YouTube videos.

Might try one last time tonight and see how I get on.

I haven't. But I don't think it's a connection issue. Everything else on the net was working, including other YouTube videos.

Might try one last time tonight and see how I get on.

If still problems and you haven't already, try clearing data for play movies.

https://maps.google.co.uk/locationhistory

She can see where you've been too! 

Web history, now location history.

Thought history, coming soon to a webpage near you.

Location history has been around as long as mobile phones have been around.  The police have been able to pull phone records to see which masts a handset has been connected to since the days when we were using Startacs and Nokia 3210s. It's easier to access now and yes, Google (and Apple) have decided to make that data available to the end user but to be surprised it exists is very naive.  You can have a PAYG phone tied to a fake name and address of course, or you could probably challenge in court that just because a handset was in a location it doesn't automatically mean the owner was there with it but the communications revolution has made us all a hell of a lot easier to track but being a part of that revolution is entirely opt in. 

• Like 1

I released phones could be tracked of course. I didn't realise they kept it for years.

With the cost of storage being as low as it is and has been, it's awfully naïve to believe that any piece of data isn't retained for arbitrarily long.

No transparent status bars on stock though for anything but nexus 5. Boo! :(

Also, combining messages in to the hangouts thing appears to have made all my incoming and outgoing texts be delayed by about 15 minutes.

New dialler/search thing is good though.

Ok, the delayed texts things in hangouts is starting to greatly annoy me. I'm now receiving replies about 30 minutes after they have been sent to me. Gone back to the old stock messaging app now as combining the SMS into hangouts is clearly nerfed.

Moto G "10/10 the only cheap phone you should buy".

Moto G 5/5 "at no point did we feel we compromised on style, quality or experience."

Moto G 4.5/5 "an absurdly good bargain"

It's getting rave reviews everywhere. Unless you fancy spending £300 on a Nexus 5 then I think the Moto G is an absolute no brainer at the moment.  It's probably the best bang for your buck phone out there.  I've bought my mum one for Xmas (16gb version, if you are worried about the lack of SD card support pay the extra £15 to double your storage) but I'm still awaiting delivery. I buy it with complete confidence though.

Tesco Direct had the 8gb for £99.00 for a few hours a couple of days ago, anybody that it at that price must have a better bargain than most of those coming on Black Friday

Ok, the delayed texts things in hangouts is starting to greatly annoy me. I'm now receiving replies about 30 minutes after they have been sent to me. Gone back to the old stock messaging app now as combining the SMS into hangouts is clearly nerfed.

Nexus 4 issue?

Could do with a little advice.

Love the fact I can download torrents on my phone using the kickass torrents app but for some strange reason anything I've downloaded now doesn't appear in the folder when I connect my phone to my laptop. Everything I've previously downloaded is still there but anything I've downloaded the past few days just won't appear. The files are definitely on the phone as I can play them on my phone.

Anyone got an idea why they now won't appear on my laptop?

Moto G "10/10 the only cheap phone you should buy".

Moto G 5/5 "at no point did we feel we compromised on style, quality or experience."

Moto G 4.5/5 "an absurdly good bargain"

It's getting rave reviews everywhere. Unless you fancy spending £300 on a Nexus 5 then I think the Moto G is an absolute no brainer at the moment.  It's probably the best bang for your buck phone out there.  I've bought my mum one for Xmas (16gb version, if you are worried about the lack of SD card support pay the extra £15 to double your storage) but I'm still awaiting delivery. I buy it with complete confidence though.

Tesco Direct had the 8gb for £99.00 for a few hours a couple of days ago, anybody that it at that price must have a better bargain than most of those coming on Black Friday

Wished i had seen that as after Rev's post i'm going to buy one in pink for my fiancee to see if i can get her onto touch screen phones rather than push button.

Â