Android: General Chat

NICKTHEFISH

No you're right, Google are renowned for ignoring what it's users want in order to never admit they made a mistake. Google Buzz and Google Wave are cracking examples of this, I mean why don't they just kill them off? Oh wait...

You don't like on screen buttons, but you claim to speak for all users. I don't claim to speak for other users so I asked here. I'm not claiming that my sample is in anyway representative, but you said it happens all the time with on screen buttons and you've already watered that down to only happening on certain phones or certain user types. Besides, my sample is better than the one you've restricted to "podcasts that say things I agree with".

Okay, let's see. Does anyone else hit "home" when they are typing?

Never ever.

How do people feel about today's rumour that Motorola are building the Nexus 5.

I was already to be sold on the LG Nexus 5 based on the G2

Highly recommend signing up for Google Play All Access. They're offering a free 1-month trial at the minute and it'll be £7.99 after that, very good pricing for unlimited music downloads.

Also, the news about Motorola and the Nexus 5 is fantastic, I'll probably end up doing an early upgrade from my SIII LTE come January.

Google just keep on winning me over.

Edited by samjp26
  • Like 1

I cant say I am to enthused about the Motorola rumour for a couple of reasons. Firstly all the rumours before yesterday pointed to LG making the N5 and since it was going to be based on the LG G2 we know pretty much what we were getting spec wise and it looks pretty damned tasty.

Motorola have just released the Moto X and its not cheap or right up there with the market leaders in terms of specs but it does run pretty close to vanilla android.

I cannot see Motorola bringing a Nexus device to the market with better specs than its flagship phone its just released at a price which undercuts it.

So it seems they could either recreate the N4 and knock them out at similar prices to now or making something special with a price tag that reflects this and price many out of purchasing it.

I've got a Nexus 4 and I've never hit the home key accidentally while typing (or swiping), ever.

In fact I think my only complaint with regards typing/swiping on the Nexus 4 is that the prediction when swiping is shite, in my experience. Much to the amusement of my friends and loved ones.

In fact I think my only complaint with regards typing/swiping on the Nexus 4 is that the prediction when swiping is shite, in my experience. Much to the amusement of my friends and loved ones.

It's got better the more I've used it, but this. Definitely. Sometimes the messages I send are just random groups of words.

I've never accidentally hit the home button either. I swipe to type on the stock android keyboard and I'd say I have about an 80% success rate with it typing with my thumb and 90% with my index finger which I'm more than happy with.

Really good extensive read about a Twitter designer coming from iOS to Android

http://paulstamatiou.com/android-is-better

It's good because it's not just opinion, he gives loads of examples of how it's better.

I'm just surprised that people are still surprised there's so much difference.

• Like 1

It's good because it's not just opinion, he gives loads of examples of how it's better.

Yeah, this was doing the rounds on /r/Android yesterday.  I read through it, but with me he is just preaching to the converted.  I did get a new game from the tumblr blog he linked though. :D 

My contract is up next month and I'm wondering what to do. I don't desperately need a new phone, my S2 serves me well, but I'm getting itchy to get my hands on some new tech. As with everything though, I don't like paying top dollar for it, Even the best deals I can find are around £30 a month (which I think it just about acceptable) and I'd like unlimited data....

Buy a Nexus 4 from google play and get a giff gaff sim. Or wait with your S2 until the new nexus comes out round november time, then buy one and get a giffgaff sim.

As I make very few calls and texts, I'm in the minority who only really need data, so I have tmob PAYG and pay £20 for 6 months unlimited internet.

My contract is up next month and I'm wondering what to do. I don't desperately need a new phone, my S2 serves me well, but I'm getting itchy to get my hands on some new tech. As with everything though, I don't like paying top dollar for it, Even the best deals I can find are around £30 a month (which I think it just about acceptable) and I'd like unlimited data....

Just don't go on contract again. Please just buy a phone from eBay and switch to a cheaper plan. Or Go on giff gaff.

The phone lock in is terrible.

• Like 2

I've considered your advice Anthony, thank you, and although the Nexus 4 is a great phone, I think I could wait a few months to see what the 5 is like. Giff gaff is incredibly tempting though.

I don't mind being on a contract. 2 years ago is okay as long as the phone is good and you're not paying for minutes etc you don't use. It does appear to me however that contracts are getting more expensive, might just be me, I've always been keen on getting better value for money. Equally, the flexibility of PAYG is good.

Daft question, are all new phones these days capable of this 4G business or is it just the high end. I don't want it now, but I might in the future.

The Nexus 4 isnt, everything else is.   If I were in your shoes (out of contract, reasonably happy with current handset) then I'd sit tight on the Nexus 5. 

• Like 1

tl;dr

But what I did read of it was excellent.

Not sure why he misses iMessage though. I thought that was shit when I had my iphone. You couldn't (at least you couldn't then) tell your phone not to use iMessage. So if you were in an area with really low signal and wanted to send a text it would default to imessage and sit there for ages and ages trying to send the message via the internet, whereas a text would have gotten through in a few seconds.

I used to hate that.

• Like 1

Â