The 'Who Supports Who' topic

Go Chargers - reason being I spent some time working over there and loved the place. Went back last year for my honeymoon. Brilliant city.

• 2 months later...

Guys I have been looking into American Football for a little while and have really started getting into the rules and understanding plays etc. Just thinking I should support a team?

I have looked into the Niners and the Texans more in depth. Something appeals to me about the two, I do not know why. I have been looking at the Texans defense this year and they are brutal! I kinda liike that.

Anybody got any (preferably unbiased) opinions on these two teams?

At some level I'd recommend against choosing a team because of a certain style of play or quality. That's pretty much guaranteed to change. If there's something else that makes you a fan, you'll stay, but otherwise, you'll just be a nomad (not that there's anything wrong with that, if a team hasn't grabbed you yet).

One consideration might be that the Texans will play a lot more games at 6pm UK time than 9pm or later. At least half of the 49ers games every season have to be 9pm or later. Depending on what hours you can keep, that might well sway your decision.

Neither had been that good until recently, so you're fairly well insulated from bandwagon charges (even if a 49ers/Texans Super Bowl is in the cards).

That said, the 49ers have a lot more (and a much longer, to be fair) history, though most of that history is from the 80s and 90s.

Texans have a better stadium, but I'd much rather visit San Francisco than Houston.

Yea I think the same re San Fran over Houston! but as mentioned above, the Niners seem to have fans all over the place at the moment on various sites and things that I am looking at. Keen to go for something a little different. There are two other teams that I am looking at too, and they are the Bears and Jaguars. Chicago is a city I really want to visit, and seeing Villa's success over there during pre season, I feel as though there could be a small connection there with the Chicago Fire. So thinking the they could be a good option? Jaguars is only really because I like the badge, the owners appearance in the Gangnan style video and the Cheerleaders... Oh and them signing up to play at wembley for the next few years.

Just watch as many games as you can and see which team you take to. I did that and despite the Giants being pretty poor at the time, I found myself wanting them to win games and it stuck.

I think forcing a team on yourself doesn't work. I did that initially in baseball with the White Sox. While I liked them and still do, I just didn't seem to care when they do well. Whereas when I watched more games, I found myself liking the Mets and certainly feel more of an attachment based on my feelings when we win or lose.

There's a decent Villa/Bears connection... Chicago is still the Second City in the industrial mid[lands] of America. And the Bears are indirectly one of the surviving founding members of the NFL.

Founding clubs of the American Professional Football Association, 1920 (in 1921 the APFA changed its name to the National Football League; though it wasn't for a number of more years that a regular league schedule was developed)

* Akron Pros (Ohio; folded 1927)

* Buffalo All-Americans (later to be the Bisons, Rangers, and the Bisons again; folded 1929)

* Canton Bulldogs (Ohio; folded 1926)

* Chicago Cardinals (moved to St. Louis, 1960; moved to Arizona, 1987)

* Chicago Tigers (folded 1920; were never formally members, but played games against league opponents)

* Cleveland Tigers (folded 1921)

* Columbus Panhandles (Ohio; later to be the Tigers; folded 1926)

* Dayton Triangles (Ohio; folded 1929)

* Decatur Staleys (Illinois; moved to Chicago and became the Bears, 1921; the Bears mascot is thus named Staley)

* Detroit Heralds (folded 1928; franchise bought by the owner of the Giants to strip it for players)

* Hammond Pros (Indiana; folded 1926)

* Muncie Flyers (Indiana; folded 1925)

* Rochester Jeffersons (New York; folded 1928)

* Rock Island Independents (Illinois; left league 1925, folded 1926)

* Toledo Maroons (Ohio; folded 1923, franchise transferred unofficially to Kenosha, Wisconsin)

The Packers joined a few years later, followed by the Giants. In the later 1920s, the NFL began a process of moving to the bigger cities, leaving the small factory towns (with Green Bay being the only survivor from that era) behind.

Well they either grab you or they don't. I wouldn't force myself to like a team just to say I have a team. Pick carefully because you'll have them for a while :-)

much like european football teams i picked on the basis of liking a player, barcelona for luis enrique, inter for youri djorkaeff, ajax for just about everyone in the mid 90s

and when i started watching the NFL it was LT at the chargers who caught my eye straight away

would be very different now! fitzgerald is probably my favourite player, always had a soft spot for the patriots and im currently playing as the texans on Madden and loving it so im liking them this year too

planning on getting a shirt on sunday at wembley and i think a white chargers one with Gates on the back will be like rocking horse shit

Guys I have been looking into American Football for a little while and have really started getting into the rules and understanding plays etc. Just thinking I should support a team?

I have looked into the Niners and the Texans more in depth. Something appeals to me about the two, I do not know why. I have been looking at the Texans defense this year and they are brutal! I kinda liike that.

Anybody got any (preferably unbiased) opinions on these two teams?

Houston is a new expansion club who are about 10 years old now...so not much history or much success. San Fran has a great tradition of winning, and having some legendary players. Of the two, I'd pick San Fran. That said, if you go with Houston, 50 years from now, you can say you've been supporting them almost since their inception!

• 2 weeks later...
Â