What would you do?  

468 members have voted

1. 1. What would you do?

• £30m or more to Citeh
    • £30m or more to Chelsea
    • £30m or more to Man United
    • No sale under any realistic circumstances
    • £30m or more to whoever wants him

So you work for a firm for 2 years, do a good job and then some other firm offers YOU double your money. What do you do? & if you say "stay out of gratitude & loyalty" I'll call you an 'effin' liar!!

I'm sorry but I HATE this argument. What your saying there would be perfectly reasonable argument for 99% of people.

Milner is a multi-millionaire several times over, so has financially secured his and his family's future for years and years.

We've supposedly offered him a deal to make him the highest paid player in our history so he'd be earning 65-70k a week at a guess.

There's only one word I'd use to describe jimmy and that's greedy.

• Replies 5.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

But the overall idea that we seem reluctant to spend the relevant amount of money to finish top 4 means that I will be even more happier wioth a top 6 finish next season

Hmmm, I really wouldn't look at Cole going to Liverpool as an example of us being reluctant to spend. After all, he turned down a club that was in the top 4 in order to go there. I'll be more interested to see what happens if and when Milner moves. And in a situation where I felt we weren't spending sufficiently, I wouldn't adjust my expectations downwards and be happy with 6th, I'd adjust my opinion of the board in the same way that we used to moan about the previous board not spending sufficiently. That's all hypothetical at the moment because IMO it hasn't actually happened yet. Just saying that you shouldn't (IMV) shift the bar of what would make you happy. We're going for top 4. The only thing that should change is our view of how capable the board is of delivering that.

Bof, I have always been happy with top 6 since the first few signings under MON/Lerner told me they didnt have the money.

If Milner leaves for 40million, its still not enough money to spend on players imo. We need to spend £100million in one transfer window before I even start to begin expecting a top 4 finish. thats not to say we wont finish top 4 cos I believe we have a manager who can pull a rabbit out of the hat. The problem is Spurs/and the top 4 (obviously) were all way ahead of us in there quest for domination. Man City have blown everyone out of the water

We, in the meantime carry on investing at a rate that is less sufficient than those above us.. We need one big period of investment to just catch up. Then we can start to tweak here and there.

The money's just not there. Lerner was 4 or 5 years to late. Not for 1 minute calling for him to quit, and we can defo aim for top 4 but by no means should we be expecting anything near it tbh, and to get as close as we have with the players we have is a credit to the staff and players at Villa Park

So you work for a firm for 2 years, do a good job and then some other firm offers YOU double your money. What do you do? & if you say "stay out of gratitude & loyalty" I'll call you an 'effin' liar!!

I'm sorry but I HATE this argument. What your saying there would be perfectly reasonable argument for 99% of people.

Milner is a multi-millionaire several times over, so has financially secured his and his family's future for years and years.

We've supposedly offered him a deal to make him the highest paid player in our history so he'd be earning 65-70k a week at a guess.

So maybe just maybe its not just about money.

This story thats appeared everywhere, I dont see any quotes from milner or o'neil...where is the original story from?

I thought that. Not that i don't believe it, but where are the quotes?

Never expected this from Milner but 25-30m and we'll be a better team. I think if we can get Ireland in and 3 more real quality players I'll have higher hopes for this season than if we kept Milner.

But the overall idea that we seem reluctant to spend the relevant amount of money to finish top 4 means that I will be even more happier wioth a top 6 finish next season

Hmmm, I really wouldn't look at Cole going to Liverpool as an example of us being reluctant to spend. After all, he turned down a club that was in the top 4 in order to go there. I'll be more interested to see what happens if and when Milner moves. And in a situation where I felt we weren't spending sufficiently, I wouldn't adjust my expectations downwards and be happy with 6th, I'd adjust my opinion of the board in the same way that we used to moan about the previous board not spending sufficiently. That's all hypothetical at the moment because IMO it hasn't actually happened yet. Just saying that you shouldn't (IMV) shift the bar of what would make you happy. We're going for top 4. The only thing that should change is our view of how capable the board is of delivering that.

But i would certainly look at Cole in terms of the impact it has had to fellow pro's. If we brought a player who would make a difference, James Milner would look at the club in a different light, for me, for me we are that good old club, everyone 2nd favourite team and Milner will only have nice words about us but we need to make a mark. Look at the odds for the Premiership, were lower than Everton for crying out loud.

If we brought a player who would make a difference, James Milner would look at the club in a different light
You are right, but I still think it remains to be seen whether Cole is that player. He is certainly highly rated. Probably the highest rated career substitute ever, when he's not injured. I know it is a signal of intent by Liverpool and I know that on his day he can be devastating. I love watching him when he's on his game. But in terms of actually making a difference to Liverpool's season through what he does on the pitch? There are a lot of question marks there - and it's a big gamble to pay him 90k a week to find the answers.

Amen to this.

For one footballers do not live on the bread line.

For two this is football, not a job at an Insurance company, we live and breath this football club, it is not a service we use. The people who treat football as a service industry are those who go down the villa and boo at half time because were not beating wigan. Football is somehting more than a game and it always will be to the fans. James Milner clearly has no allegiance to the fans that cheered him over the last 2 seasons, frankly he can go **** himself. I just hope he's able to get by on his new wages.

If he goes, he goes. He's a very good player for us but he isn't the be all and end all - we'd get a lot of money for him and MON is more than qualified enough to replace him. I'd be very sad about it but that's life unfortunately.

Just heard MON's quotes, he seems fairly resigned but wants it resolved as soon as Milner arrives back next week, he basically said Milner told them BEFORE the World Cup that he wanted to go, all this rubbish he would speak after.