• £30m or more to Chelsea
    • £30m or more to Man United
    • No sale under any realistic circumstances
    • £30m or more to whoever wants him

• Replies 5.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ireland's the very definition of a one season wonder. And he isn't a proper midfielder, more of a forward. And he's a **** dickhead.

Not a patch on Milner, not even with £30 million thrown in.

I can see Milner signing a new 4 year deal and then in 2 years time will be 26 and if we haven't improved he will be looking to move on(if he is still consistent performer). Last season he said he needed a little stability in his career, it was the first time in his career he had the same manager for over a year and bang he had his best season so far. He seems to be a level headed guy, he knows if he continues his improvement he will get other chances to step up to the highest level.

Agree, he should stay with us for a few more seasons, then take it from there. Apart from higher wages, Man City can offer nothing we can't. He enjoys playing for us, and he enjoys playing for O'Neill. He's a regular with us, and he's broken in the England set up. No reason to move at the moment if you ask me. Maybe in two or three seasons time, if we're still in a similar position to the one we are now, and a Champions League side come knocking, then fair enough, but he should stick with us for the time being and I'm confident he will.

PaulandDonya - Ok here I go (in no particular order)

Arteta (sometimes)

Modric

Lampard

Gerrard

Fabregas

Essien

Malouda

Fletcher (sometimes)

I can think of any others

Modric would be arguable as well, considering the extra that Milner offers defensively.

As for the original post, hilarious though it was probably just needs a few carefully highlighted bits:

Eboue, Rosicky, De Jong, Park, Anderson, Bentley, Rodwell.

I don't think anything really needs to be added to prove the fallacy that we're dealing with here.

Pardon me if you have a look at the thread, I said, I couldn't even remember who it was, nor what it was, I made the comment about some players who won the YpotY and said it wasn't a given that they become great players.

Now, having done. It's a bit of research I find Jeffers, didn't win it - he was nominated in 1999 - and lost - who to Harry Kewell !!!

So, in fact, the story is the same, just the name is different.

Anyway, it's beside the point.

I can't believe people are so "Milner is the best". He is good, he could be very good.

But he is 24 and he, by no means is anywhere near the top midfielders in this league.

Just go through them, Lampard, Gerrard, Essien, Barry, Fabregas, Arteta, Eboue, Rosicky, Nasri, Arshavin , Zhirkov, Malouda, Ballack, J Cole, Mascherano, De Jong, Ireland, Park, hargreaves, Valencia, Fletcher, Giggs, Scholes, Anderson, Nani, Huddlestone, Bentley, Modric, Lennon, Parker, T Cahill, Fellaini, Rodwell,

Now that is just looking through Sky's midfielder section on fantasy football.

So ni-on - 30 midfielders, and you can argue that 20 of them are better than Milner (like Ballack, Lapard, Gerrard, Arshavin etc..) , 5 or so (like Arteta , Cahill, Parker) are similar, and 5 or so , are slightly weaker but not much (as I have left out crap midfielders) , like , well actually no, I can't really see many that you would say are worse. Players like Park are vastly under-rated (apart from Alex Fergusun), maybe Bentley, maybe Huddlestone - but I bet Spurs fans would argue with them

So you are talking 30m - for maybe the 25th best midfielder in the league.

Which is not much less than Barcelona are paying for David Villa !

All I keep saying is Milner is good, but he ain't in the league of some of those above, but the money we would get, and could spend elsewhere, is !

You gotta look at it that way, Arshavin, is only one player in thousands playing in Europe, and Arsenal got him for 14m !

Selling Milner is not the be all and end all.

And for anyone who thinks it is - think Andy Gray !

All of the above is in your very humble opinion I take it.

Sorry, but in my opinion

Gerrard , Lampard, Scholes , Giggs, Essien, Arshavin, Ballack , Modric, Hargreaves, J Cole, Fabregas, Barry, Nasri, Ballack (and a few others but I think I've proved my point)

Yes - they are better than Milner, and if you don't , you are having a laugh.

However, again :bang: what I am saying is - it don't matter how good they are, because they are so good, tghey wouldn't consider the Villa.

However, there are players that are far far far better than Milner out there, who if we sold him for 30m, we could get at half the price.

Just another one into the ring. And a) we have been linked with him , B) Now Cesc is going to Barca , he is virtually guarenteed being available.

Alex Hleb !

or similar with Madrid looking at midfielders - Van de Vaart

Vdv only slightly older than Milner, better in ability , similar role - half price.

Can I please get this through to people once and for all.

I like James Milner, all I am saying is he is by no means "great" - he is good , there are plenty on here hailing him as "the best" that were saying in January - he doesn't cut it in central midfield , we need NRC back.

30m - for a 24 yr old that is still seen as "potential" is not to be sniffed at when you can get world class players of a similar position (look at Arshavin) for half the price

And that is all !

How is Andrey Arsharvin a similar position?

Yes of course, Andrey Arsharvin that guy who plays central midfield every game for Arsenal :lol:

Nasri never plays in a middle two and is preferred out wide.

Joe Cole, when has he ever played central midfield in a 2 man midfield?

Giggs, when does he ever play central midfield in a 2 man midfield?

What has Ballack, Hargreaves or even Barry done in the last 2 years? Hargreaves might not play again while Ballack has been poor pretty average for a while now. Man City fans have been very underwhelmed by Barry this season in their own words aswell as being pretty average for us last year.

I don't think many disagree with Lampard, Gerrard, Modric, Fabregas, Scholes though.

Again though, you can't compare wingers to central midfielders. It's a completly different role.

How is Andrey Arsharvin a similar position?

Yes of course, Andrey Arsharvin that guy who plays central midfield every game for Arsenal :lol:

Nasri never plays in a middle two and is preferred out wide.

Joe Cole, when has he ever played central midfield in a 2 man midfield?

Giggs, when does he ever play central midfield in a 2 man midfield?

What has Ballack, Hargreaves or even Barry done in the last 2 years? Hargreaves might not play again while Ballack has been poor pretty average for a while now. Man City fans have been very underwhelmed by Barry this season in their own words aswell as being pretty average for us last year.

I don't think many disagree with Lampard, Gerrard, Modric, Fabregas, Scholes though.

Again though, you can't compare wingers to central midfielders. It's a completly different role.

this is sensible, jimmy has age on his side compared to a few of these which increases his value and makes him a target, he is also begining to get the notice of the media, a decent world cup and it will be silly money- our ability to replace him is a serious doubt

Sorry, but in my opinion

Gerrard , Lampard, Scholes , Giggs, Essien, Arshavin, Ballack , Modric, Hargreaves, J Cole, Fabregas, Barry, Nasri, Ballack (and a few others but I think I've proved my point)

Do those 'few others' include Eboué, Rodwell, Anderson and Bentley as per your original post?

It seems to be even funnier each time it's repeated.

Sorry, but in my opinion

Biggest pile of shit I've read all week. You even put Ballack twice.

Goodnight.

He is a behemoth for us, we can't afford to sell him to anyone, especially one of our rivals.

what you mean we can't afford, according to Bluemoon its a done deal and will be unvielled in the next 2 days :lol::lol::lol:

i have not had as much as a laugh than reading the Milner transfer thread, i think its only going to get worse as the summer goes on, and no doubt with the england games coming up he will no doubt be doing an interview and the good old english press will grill our Jimmy.

i believe randy when he say's Milner is going nowhere, bu i do believe if thats the case Villa as a football club need to squash these rumours ASAP, or we will have the same as the MoN leaving saga for the rest of the summer.

Right chaps

Take this info in whatever way you like, i have in the last few moments recieved a pm on here off what i would consider a very respected poster and someone i believe is itk,

This person wishes to remain in the background and seldom posts his itk info directly on the board, this has been done via pm and i would consider his info solid!

James Milner/Aston Villa are indeed in advanced talks for the transfer of said player to Manchester City.

I thought this player was perhaps being used as a red herring, i'm reliably informed i couldn't be further from the truth.

This post is a genuine post not a wum i suppose the next few hours days will confim.

Thanks.

worth a read just for the fact that no matter who unfortunate and deluded you think some villa fans are there's always worse out there

and you though VT was full of loonies

i hope my 1st attempt of a short link has worked

The same guy on bluemoon (who posted the above quote) also said something about a City player coming our way in part of the deal..

Someone mentioned Onouha.. Another mentioned Ireland.. and then they continued to discuss having Ribery & Milner in a formation... lol

I swear it's like a game of monopoly for those idiots.

You're not getting Milner.. He's not the type to run around in tight, baby blue tops! Maybe you should buy Julian Clary?

30m - for a 24 yr old that is still seen as "potential" is not to be sniffed at when you can get world class players of a similar position (look at Arshavin) for half the price

I suspect we could replace Milner in terms of footballing ability for less than $15 million.

However, i suspect finding someone with his ability AND his attitude, someone who works as hard for the team, would prove rather more difficult, if not impossible.

City have absolutely no chance of signing him now. If we're even considering it, which I seriously doubt, it won't happen until after the world cup - a couple of top performances could see his value double.

Sorry, but in my opinion

However, again :bang: what I am saying is - it don't matter how good they are, because they are so good, tghey wouldn't consider the Villa.

However, there are players that are far far far better than Milner out there, who if we sold him for 30m, we could get at half the price.

Just another one into the ring. And a) we have been linked with him , B) Now Cesc is going to Barca , he is virtually guarenteed being available.

Alex Hleb !

or similar with Madrid looking at midfielders - Van de Vaart

Vdv only slightly older than Milner, better in ability , similar role - half price.

Can I please get this through to people once and for all.

I like James Milner, all I am saying is he is by no means "great" - he is good , there are plenty on here hailing him as "the best" that were saying in January - he doesn't cut it in central midfield , we need NRC back.

And that is all !

I couldn't agree more...

People though Gareth Barry was gonna leave a huge whole, and we didn't miss him at all. Milner will be replaceable too, but I can't see him being let go until sfter the World Cup when his value could just increase a little, and give MON more to spend...

Personally, though, I hope stays and keeps improving...