• Downing
    • A Young
    • Milner
    • Pterov
    • Carew
    • Heskey
    • Albrighton (for Dunne 72)
    • Sidwell (for Downing 77)

Having slept on it, it almost feels worse. I honestly thought we played well for a lot of the game, created some chances that weren't taken, especially in the first half when we should have been out of sight, but two moments of madness cost us.

Not sure I agree with the slating of Downing. Thought he was alright, and carried a little bit a of a threat. He suffers in comparison with the once-again excellent Ashley, who really is finding his best form again. If people expect Downing to be another Young then they've got another thing coming.

Really, I though everyone was alright going forward bar Heskey, who holds the ball up well though so little ever comes of it unless the defence screws up like our late equaliser. It often feels like playing with 10 with Heskey. The man is just anthrax to certain supporters, unfortunately. I like many others go into a rage when he's on the team sheet, though I support him fully when he's out there. Carew does little more than Heskey, perhaps even less, but the point is that that's acceptable when you've two goals in your locker. The fat Ronnie made a career out of it.

The problems in the team yesterday were the full-backs and Heskey. If we'd had Gabby we'd have won, and that was a horrendously unlucky injury blow in a season where we've had mostly good injury luck.

I'm still not sure the middle of our midfield creates enough, but I thought both Milner and Petrov were alright, apart from Petrov trying to get sent off before the half and Milner's own goal, which I actually thought was poor. I'd stick with them - when they have Gabby to play with they can do more - it's hard to create without movement up front.

Terrible result but not a truely terrible performance. Could have won easily, it was just one of those days. I thought we were worse at Stoke, tbh. Get Gabby back, a new striker in the summer and we're nearly there. It just gets frustrating being 'nearly there' all the time.

Delph came to the ground very late 20 mins before kickoff! I saw him in his brand new range rover drive into the ground. Had a parking ticket from leeds on his dash too, perhaps he was late back from there?

I thought he was banned from driving :?

100% Delph. Perhaps the ban has ended?

Why wasn't he in the matchday squad though?

i actually believe Gabby will leave Villa for a Champions League side unfortunately for Villa, lets face it thats football its bound to happen eventually.
From what I've seen not many people rate him apart from Villa fans. Can't imagine why though. he's excellent. Hopefully he'll be back for Wednesday. If he is, I'm confident we can win that given Carew's recent return to form.

Except that he will probably return at Carews expense. :(

I thought it was an entertaining game for prem football. I was quite impressed with Wolves to be honest, if they keep playing like that, they have every right to be in this league next year.

Onto us. I thought we would win this game confortably, but with them playing 5 in midfield they could utilise the extra man to double up on our wingers. Young's crossing from open play was brilliant, I really enjoyed watching him yesterday. I thought Carew put himself about aswell, and he did well - though a little lucky i guess - to pick up two goals.

Cuellar struggled and their winger (Jarvis?) got the better of him a few times, but failed to do anything with it. I agree with the majority that L Young needs to start the next game, just to give us that extra bit of balance in the team.

I even thought Heskey had a decent game - his only problem is he's just not penertrating enough - although he was unlucky with that header which lead to the goal mouth scramble at about 65 mins. Its rare for him to have a chance where he gets to actually shoot and to me thats either poor mobility or poor anticipation.

It wasnt an ideal result, but lets face it, this season will see weirder results.

Just enjoy the run in.

And to the baldy 'I think im dead hard' bloke in the lower north next to Trinity saying '**** off o'neil, your not good enough for this club' please remember that this season we have played at wembley already, are going to again with the possibility of making it 4 times in one season - something not done ever and we are still in with a shout of 4th with 8 games to go.

A point is disappointing but unsurprising.

Once again, being reasonable, we weren't bad by any means and once again we've learnt nothing from that game - we struggle against teams happy to sit back and as soon as Wolves took the lead it was clear that was all they were gonna do.

Friedel - 6 - Wasn't overly tested.

Dunne - 6 - Decent

Collins - 6 - Similar.

Cuellar - 5 - Struggled with Jarvis, not the best of games for him.

Warnock - 6 - Again not bad.

Petrov - 6 - Some feisty tackles that could well have got him sent off, but also some great play from him first half. Second half he was quiet, the yellow and Wolves being less up for a surge forward saw lose his main role in the side.

Milner - 6 - Would have been a 7 but for a pretty unfortunate OG. Was involved all the good we did, as per.

Downing - 5 - Not the best game he'll have.

Young - 7 - Like Milner, involved time and again, seemed up for it. Some iffy deliveries still, an annoyance.

Carew - 7 - He's becoming a bit of an RVN, doesn't do alot and pokes in a couple. Can't complain at that even if I do prefer a bit less of an anonymous role for a striker.

Heskey - 6 - Given dogs abuse in the match thread (shock horror there), so I'll say this for him - First half, we played some lovely passing moves and attaced with vigour and time again he was vital to linking those. He also played at least 1 glorious pass to Young first half out to the right, and he was vital in the equaliser. He's never going to score many, but when we want to play he's very useful. As we chucked the kitchen sink at it and stopped being quite so pretty in favour of the direct approach, he's anonymous.

Albrighton - 5 - Didn't do alot.

Sidwell - 6 - Much like Marc above, except he managed to get an assist.

Never going to be an easy game, we really should have built on the first goal and done better, we were the better side for much of the game, first half the better by acres at times. Sadly 2 bad goals to let in undid us and placed us in exactly the position we didn't want to be, chasing agaisnt a side dreaming of points, any points.

Tactically, I can't see a lot wrong. One of those I guess. Disappointing but I'll not lose my head over it.

Bloody hell a post that doesn't sound like we've just been relegated! Agree with almost all of this, with the exception of comments on Warnock really, thoguht he had his worst game to date for us. Also, spot on with comments on Heskey how the hell do 90% of our fans not see what he does for the team, and what's worse they have no desire to even get off his back and give him a chance, some of the abuse in the lower Holte directed at him throughout the match was nothing short of disgraceful, there's not even the element of supporting whoever wears our shirt from some of ther idiots down there.

Cuellar was absolutely shocking,the worst I've ever seen him play for us.

Come to think of it not many of the team can come out with much credit. Anyone know why Dunne was taken off? Couldn't really see an injury. Good to see Carew scoring two more goals. We should have won this. Quite annoyed with the performance.

Dunne went off with a sore Achilles I believe

i actually believe Gabby will leave Villa for a Champions League side unfortunately for Villa, lets face it thats football its bound to happen eventually.
From what I've seen not many people rate him apart from Villa fans. Can't imagine why though. he's excellent. Hopefully he'll be back for Wednesday. If he is, I'm confident we can win that given Carew's recent return to form.

Except that he will probably return at Carews expense. :(

You're probably right there. I get the feeling that Carew is constantly playing for his place in the team while Heskey can carry on being Heskey and still get put in next to Gabby by default. Carew's gonna have to keep on banging in goals every game (and beat Gabby's goal tally by the end of the season) to stay in the squad.

Yes, I know Heskey works 10 times as hard as Carew but Carew also scores 10 times as many goals. The main point of a striker is to score goals, and Carew will always be doing more of that than Heskey.

Mon might be stubborn but he doesn't have any preferences to Carew or Heskey IMO.

Carew played 2 months earlier in the season at a poor level so Heskey got a chance in carling cup against Portsmouth, played well and scored, kept his place. Played well for a couple months then form has dipped recently while Carew started to play alot better, Carew and Agbonlahor was the partnership against Wigan and would of been on saturday and will be on Wednesday.

Infact if Carew doesn't start with Gabby (if fit) on Wednesday, i'll stop posting up until April (very hard for me :lol:)

The first 17 minutes we played some lovely, fast flowing, passing football. Then we scored and after that we looked lacklustre and short of ideas.

I think we've thrown away our chances of getting 4th spot. Really disappointing.

Luke Young needs to be played at right back and Martin needs to show more confidence in Delfouneso, i can't think of a single reason why he wasn't used yesterday.

Your thoughts for posterity.

Please also vote for your man of the match. Remember if you are voting immediately after the game that you cannot change your vote, so you may want to take some time to consider your choice.

You might want to check the title :winkold:

Eek, I voted milner, and was the only one. Thought young was being too greedy all day and looked reluctant to play in jimmy on several occasions.

I love Milner to bits, been our best player for weeks, however to vote him MOM for this one........I don't get it. He could not do a thing right. Highlighted when he went to take a quick short corner and ended up flat on his arse, bless him. Young was our only player of any quality yesterday. Carew was good but both goals were finishes he should make. Heskey=joke. And the 2 full backs were bad, bad, bad. Albeit I like both of them as players. I don't like Heskey!

Eek, I voted milner, and was the only one. Thought young was being too greedy all day and looked reluctant to play in jimmy on several occasions.

No one seemed to want to play in Milner, he was nearly always in space when we broke from the back but for some reason no one would play the ball to him despite him being the most obvious target.

A loud mouthed Man City fan and a Spurs fan who i work with both slate Gabby at any given opportunity, So does the Chelsea and the Utd fan.......... they only person who doesn't is the Arsenal fan, who says he would like to see him at the Emirates, with Milner as well.

A loud mouthed Man City fan and a Spurs fan who i work with both slate Gabby at any given opportunity, So does the Chelsea and the Utd fan.......... they only person who doesn't is the Arsenal fan, who says he would like to see him at the Emirates, with Milner as well.

The way you make it sound suggests it's the fan's that are responsible for the player transfers???

The way you make it sound suggests it's the fan's that are responsible for the player transfers???

Er can't see how it does?

I was merely commenting on a post made by someone else about how other teams fans don't rate Agbonlahor, and then also saying that one fan does........ nothing at all about fans being resonsible for transfers....

i met an arsenal fan in the queue for a club the other week and he said gabby was almost as good as rooney and that they should start up front together in the world cup. obviously hes not THAT good, but i think hes integral to our success... hes made significant strides this season.