News story of the day

BOF

Interesting. I guess the U.S. doesn’t have the same laws on window sizes that we de. You put a guy in a cell for 4 years with a 5 inch slit window, he’s potentially going to get some serious health problems.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, chrisp65 said:

Interesting. I guess the U.S. doesn’t have the same laws on window sizes that we de. You put a guy in a cell for 4 years with a 5 inch slit window, he’s potentially going to get some serious health problems.

All they care about is them being able to put out enough cheap (read free) components for the US industry.

Not sure how they are going to do that in a high rise mind.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Meet the Devon woman whose knees look like EastEnders hard men Grant & Phil Mitchell

They say everyone has a talent. Whether it's singing, playing the oboe or firing off free kicks on the football field.

But some talents are altogether weirder, as Holly Fairfax has discovered.

It took Holly many years to discover her unique, but now she's found it she wants to make the most of it.

So what is it?  Well, her knees look just like Grant and Phil Mitchell from EastEnders - and she can even make them talk too!

0_Untitled-design-2.png

... more (including video) on link

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

Talking of Devon...

A mum has claimed she has a rare condition which has seen her spend £8,000 on eating a tub of Johnson's Baby Talcum Powder a day.

Lisa Anderson, 44, started eating the powder 15 years ago when she felt the urge after using it on her young son following a bath.

She estimates she's spent nearly £8,000 on her craving and runs off to the bathroom at least 40 times a day to gorge on the white powder she eats off the back of her hand.

https://www.devonlive.com/news/devon-news/devon-woman-addicted-talcum-powder-3709452

1_i-just-love-the-460026.jpg

Edited by Xela

She says she only eats one meal a day and skips breakfast and lunch to gorge on the powder throughout the day.

Hmmmm 🤔

Shame they don't do a diet talc then

Edited by Xela
  • Haha 1

• 3 weeks later...

Truly, it is the end of days.

Tate Britain has defended advertising for a head of coffee with a salary of nearly £40,000 – more than the average wage of a London-based curator – after critics said the role highlights how low museum professionals’ wages are...

...Tate Britain houses the Roastery at Tate, described on its website as “a diverse and innovative specialty coffee space” that is home to the company’s Gender Equality Coffee Project and Slot Roasting Collective, “a vibrant community-led non-profit business that helps fund Tate Gallery and champion coffee producers and professionals of all genders throughout the coffee value chain”.

I can't quite tell if it's real, or an amusing parody of themselves as a form of sending up post-structuralist, gender-non-conforming, woke narcissism.

But I fear it's real.

• Like 4

18 hours ago, peterms said:

Truly, it is the end of days.

I can't quite tell if it's real, or an amusing parody of themselves as a form of sending up post-structuralist, gender-non-conforming, woke narcissism.

But I fear it's real.

Is it really that bad?

It's apparently a position in charge of the "hot beverage team" at all four Tate sites. Requires sourcing, negotiating contracts, managing a team etc

It's a head of department.

£40k for a role like that doesn't seem too bad to me. Especially in London.

The story is realy how low the curators get paid.

20 minutes ago, Stevo985 said:

Is it really that bad?

It's apparently a position in charge of the "hot beverage team" at all four Tate sites. Requires sourcing, negotiating contracts, managing a team etc

It's a head of department.

£40k for a role like that doesn't seem too bad to me. Especially in London.

The story is realy how low the curators get paid.

I wasn't commenting on the pay, and I agree the issue is the difference with the curators' pay - must be demoralising for the people doing the core work without which no-one would be dropping by for a coffee.  It's the up-itself way of expressing it that I was looking at.  Like a more hipster version of the worst corporate drivel.

• Like 2

14 hours ago, peterms said:

I wasn't commenting on the pay, and I agree the issue is the difference with the curators' pay - must be demoralising for the people doing the core work without which no-one would be dropping by for a coffee.  It's the up-itself way of expressing it that I was looking at.  Like a more hipster version of the worst corporate drivel.

Ah ok, my bad.

I'd already seen the twitter outrage which was mainly aimed at the wages. Seems people were interpreting it as some sort of coffee boy being paid 40 grand to make people coffee, when obviously it's a bit more than that. So assumed you had the same gripe

Apologies. I agree the description of the job is very hipster. 

• Like 1

Not the right thread perhaps but apparently there has been a knife attack in central London

A man has been shot by armed officers in a "terrorist-related" incident in south London, the Met Police have said.

It is believed a number of people have been stabbed in the incident at Streatham High Road, police said.

Witnesses on social media have said they heard three gun shots fired just after 14:00 GMT on Sunday and people were being treated by doctors.

London Ambulance Service said it had a number of resources attending the incident.

One person tweeted: "Something major happening in Streatham High Road. Armed police and roads closed off".

https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-england-london-51349664

Love this, granted it might have caused annoyance for some people but still :D 

Berlin artist uses 99 phones to trick Google into traffic jam alert. Google Maps diverts road users after mistaking cartload of phones for huge traffic cluster

A Berlin-based artist managed to create a traffic jam on one of the main bridges across the Spree with nothing but a handcart and 99 second-hand phones. But one other thing was unusual about the jam: it only existed on Google Maps.

https://www.theguardian.com/technology/2020/feb/03/berlin-artist-uses-99-phones-trick-google-maps-traffic-jam-alert

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Â