News story of the day

BOF

Seen a coupe of videos. Seems he was wearing a suicide vest so was popped in the head as per policy. 

Great work by the members of the public who wrestled him to to the ground and well done to the police for neutralising him. 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Xela said:

2 people reported dead in the London Bridge terror attack :(

And the culprit is an al qaeda inspired terrorist who was convicted of previously planning to bomb the London stock exchange. Convicted 7 years ago, and out on the streets able to murder people this year. 

That's disgusting, soft sentencing. How is it considered ok to release someone who was planning to murder dozens if not hundreds of people. This piece of shit should have been locked up for life. 

Edited by Davkaus
  • Like 2

4 hours ago, Davkaus said:

And the culprit is an al qaeda inspired terrorist who was convicted of previously planning to bomb the London stock exchange. Convicted 7 years ago, and out on the streets able to murder people this year. 

That's disgusting, soft sentencing. How is it considered ok to release someone who was planning to murder dozens if not hundreds of people. This piece of shit should have been locked up for life. 

Failure of our justice system again. He was out in 6 years, tagged and seemingly invited to a 'rehabilitation seminar' at Fishmongers Hall. Yeah, that worked out well. 

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-50611788

In 2012, he was sentenced to indeterminate detention for "public protection" with a minimum jail term of eight years.

This sentence would have allowed him to be kept in prison beyond the minimum term.

But in 2013 the Court of Appeal quashed the sentence, replacing it with a 16-year-fixed term of which Khan should serve half in prison.

55 minutes ago, Xela said:

Failure of our justice system again. He was out in 6 years, tagged and seemingly invited to a 'rehabilitation seminar' at Fishmongers Hall. Yeah, that worked out well. 

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-50611788

Was that to do with the Indeterminate sentencing ruling rather than on the merits of the case itself?

I still don't get how you get sentenced to 16 years, to serve at least half in jail and get out in 6

• Like 1

Ultimately people like this, who plot mass murder, should never see the light of day again. Draconian solutions are usually not the answer but in this circumstance, life without possibility of parole and solitary confinement for a very long time is the only answer. 

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, PompeyVillan said:
Knighthoods for all of them. That's immense. 

One of the men who took down the terrorist was a convicted murderer on day release. He cut the throat of a disabled girl in 2003.

The Police had to ring the family of the murdered girl to tell them that they might see the murderer on TV and he is being called a "hero"

Take care out there folks, you never know who you are walking past! 

29 minutes ago, Dr_Pangloss said:

Ultimately people like this, who plot mass murder, should never see the light of day again. Draconian solutions are usually not the answer but in this circumstance, life without possibility of parole and solitary confinement for a very long time is the only answer. 

We’re gonna need a bigger boat.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, snowychap said:

Just this one or every single person convicted of any terrorist offence?

I'm not going to pretend I know exactly where the line is drawn at what is and isn't considered 'a terrorist offence'. That guy that joked about blowing up Robin Hood airport, for example, was tried for something to do with terrorism wasn't he? Sometimes these laws are clearly abused and used for much wider scope than was intended, so it's tricky.

But I find absurd the idea that someone can be rehabilitated when they've previously engaged in efforts to bomb a public place, hoping to kill a huge number of people. Is there going to be a murky grey area somewhere? Possibly. It's somewhere far from the level of offence that this man was convicted of though. I don't think someone planning to bomb civilians can ever again be considered to not be a threat to the public

38 minutes ago, bickster said:

Was that to do with the Indeterminate sentencing ruling rather than on the merits of the case itself?

I still don't get how you get sentenced to 16 years, to serve at least half in jail and get out in 6

I think he served over a year on remand before being found guilty and sentenced so eligibility for parole would have been around the halfway mark which matched the minimum term given under the IPP as per the article in the embedded link in the storye Xela referred to:

In its judgement, the Court of Appeal said that it was replacing the IPPs with fixed terms and extended licences. The halfway point of the fixed terms - at which point the men are eligible for release on licence - matches the minimum the men would have originally served before they could seek to leave prison.

• Thanks 1

Â