News story of the day

BOF

8 minutes ago, Mandy Lifeboats said:

Whether someone is a hero is dependant upon opinion. For instance the heroic Afghanistan Freedom Fighters who resisted the USSR invasion.  The UK and the USA armed them and taught them how to make improvised roadside bombs. They passed on their skills to their murderous terrorist children who resisted the USA invasion. Like it or not, the loser on London Bridge is a hero to some. 

But I am not sure why we are clashing him as a "Terrorist". Dare I suggest that a white man stabbing people who attended the same conference would be "unhinged", "warped" or "mentally ill". 

Perhaps because he was convicted 'terrorist' who plotted to bomb the London stock exchange, had extremely close links to Anjem Choudary and has since gone on to murder two people (with the plan presumably to kill more had he not been stopped). Not sure what on earth the point is that you're trying to make. Total nonsense. 

• Like 3

10 minutes ago, Mandy Lifeboats said:

But I am not sure why we are clashing him as a "Terrorist". Dare I suggest that a white man stabbing people who attended the same conference would be "unhinged", "warped" or "mentally ill". 

Erm, he was a convicted terrorist.

He was a convicted terrorist.

But this was being called a terrorist incident before anyone knew anything about him. If he'd have stabbed 3 people in his local mosque would that be a terrorist incident? What about if he stabbed 3 black youths in a subway? 

The press have concluded this was terrorism. It could easily be that he had a personal grudge against certain individuals. 

At the moment I view him as a murderer who was quite rightly shot dead. 

12 minutes ago, Mandy Lifeboats said:

But this was being called a terrorist incident before anyone knew anything about him. If he'd have stabbed 3 people in his local mosque would that be a terrorist incident? What about if he stabbed 3 black youths in a subway? 

The press have concluded this was terrorism. It could easily be that he had a personal grudge against certain individuals. 

It was the police who declared this a terrorist incident fairly early on. If you don't feel you yet have enough information about him to feel comfortable calling him a terrorist then that's up to you I suppose.

For someone of my age, the "only whole brown-skinned people are terrorists" narrative is just sadly lacking in thought. Some of us lived through times where the terrorists were white and were prety much on the news every day of the week.

We aren't some colony of the USA just yet

• Like 4

25 minutes ago, bickster said:

What on earth would you call a kniife wielding maniac on a killing spree with a fake bomb vest strapped to him? Cosplay?

Murderer. 

Terrorism is the practice of spreading fear and terror amongst the community. Unfortunately the press help the terrorists by spreading that terror. 

I lived through the era of the IRA pub bombings in Brum. One of my best friends is Irish. He and his family were treated terribly.  I saw it happen and it broke my heart. 

I don't think everyone who commits crime wearing a black balaclava is an IRA terrorist. I don't think every black guy in his 20s who stabs another black guy is a gang member. I don't think every Italian who commits crime whilst wearing a nice suit is in the Mafia. 

56 minutes ago, Mandy Lifeboats said:

I think you're doing a good parody of the sort of nonsense you often read in the Guardian opinion section.

2 hours ago, Mandy Lifeboats said:

But I am not sure why we are classing him as a "Terrorist". Dare I suggest that a white man stabbing people who attended the same conference would be "unhinged", "warped" or "mentally ill". 

Aside from being a convicted terrorist, his actions defined the act of terror in current law  Something like the act or threat of violence for a religious, political, racial or idealogical cause. 

The notion that white people don't get called terrorists is wrong as the murderer of Jo Cox was convicted of a terrorist offence as was the bloke who drove a van into worshippers at Finsbury Park mosque. Its just that jihadists are the biggest terrorist threat in the UK at the present time*. Like others have said, back in the 70's and 80's it was the IRA that you would be more concerned about.

* source  Met Police statement 19/09/19

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, snowychap said:

Did he?

According to reports from the Henry Jackson Society (not sure who they are) he had historic links.

https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2019/nov/30/usman-khan-cobridge-stoke-on-trent-neighbours-shock

....The second notorious Islamist preacher accused of helping influence Khan is Anjem Choudary, the infamous leader of the banned but active terrorist group, al-Muhajiroun. Details surfaced on Saturday that Khan was a student and close friend of Choudary. When arrested in 2010, Khan even had Choudary’s private mobile number stored on his phone, according to the Henry Jackson Society, a foreign policy think tank.

• Thanks 1

11 hours ago, Xela said:

Henry Jackson Society (not sure who they are)

An extremely right-wing thinktank focused on immigration and terrorism, who are partly run by alt or far right Spectator columnist Douglas Murray. They have a bad reputation, though of course I don't know whether this claim specifically is wrong.

In all this adulation of the fire extinguisher and tusk guys, lets also make this a time to remember the Scottish guy that beat up a car bomber at Glasgow Airport. We do have some redeeming features between us all.

Just now, chrisp65 said:

In all this adulation of the fire extinguisher and tusk guys, lets also make this a time to remember the Scottish guy that beat up a car bomber at Glasgow Airport. We do have some redeeming features between us all.

Wasn't there a Romanian guy who kept throwing crates at a terrorist somewhere down the line as well?

4 minutes ago, bickster said:

Wasn't there a Romanian guy who kept throwing crates at a terrorist somewhere down the line as well?

I don’t know, very possibly.

I can feel a new Marvel franchise emerging...

...2017 London Bridge...

A Romanian baker has been described as one of the heroes of the London Bridge attack after he hit one of the terrorists over the head with a crate before giving shelter to 20 people.

Footage shows Romanian Florin Morariu helping a police officer armed with a baton lead a stabbing victim through the carnage to safety.

Mr Morariu repeatedly asks for people to bring him weapons so he can fend off further attempted attacks from the terrorists.

Edited by chrisp65

Â