News story of the day

BOF

19 hours ago, bickster said:

The real point is that the roadworks are temporary as you point out but it is the roadworks that are causing the rise in the pollution, take away the roadworks then see if you need the measures

This proposed measure doesn't just apply to the Manchester bit of motorway with roadworks  - it's 4 areas with high levels of pollution, 3 of which do not have temporary roadworks. The Manchester one is an equally busy stretch of road to the others, and yes the roadworks with stationary traffic etc do make it worse, but the new speed limit will apply when the roadworks are gone.

All the traffic contributes to the air pollution, (apart from the lecky cars), so white vans, diesel cars, trucks, and to a lesser extent petrol cars. A blanket speed reduction in these areas, easily indicated by road signs, seems by far the simplest way to reduce local pollution, rather than a national reduction for white van speed, or different speed limits for different vehicles that only apply on particular parts of the road network.

I know traffic planning is often confused, disconnected, and occasionally ludicrous, but like I say this particular idea seems like a reasonable one. In time I can see the national speed limit reduced to 60, from 70, too. 

Dropping the speed limit nationally, and enforcing it, would be excellent news.

The immediate effect would be for people to drive at 63.9mph and prevent an absolute **** ton of pollution. Then, possibly, maybe, once they realise 60 is the fastest they are going, they might re consider their next purchase not being some ridiculous German phallus.

Been to Devon today, outside lane just nose to tail with Audi’s and BMW’s back to their old pre lockdown ways. OUT OF MY WAY I CAN DO NINETY!!!!!!!

I’d genuinely thought we had a chance to reinvent a few things because of covid, but the cocks have been encouraged to get back to normal to save Pret and the drive thru Costa.

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...

Alan Partridge statue appears in Norwich

_114584160_partridge2.jpg

Aha! Alan Partridge finally has the recognition he has long craved - a golden statue in the middle of Norwich.

Ardent Partridge fans Nick Dutton and Gavin Fulcher were behind the larger than life "gift to Norwich".

Sculptor Mr Fulcher said: "It was just a bit of fun really. I think during this time we could all do with a bit of light relief."

It has now gained Alan's approval: "I grant my consent and will instruct my legal team to resheathe their daggers."

His statement on Twitter continued: "Although this is completely unauthorised, having taken counsel, I am happy that the statue's attitude and stance are correct."

...more

• Like 1

On 25/09/2020 at 01:33, snowychap said:

That sounds quite like a Wooody Allen joke.

First prize goes to the Berkowitz's, a married couple dressed in a moose suit.  The moose comes in second.  The moose is furious.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Oh yes, it's up there with the whole Jaffa Cake / Biscuit debate...

Subway bread is not bread, Irish court rules

Judge finds that sugar content of US chain’s sandwiches exceeds stipulated limit and they should thus be classified as confectionery.

In a judgment published on Tuesday, the court ruled that the bread served at Subway, the US chain that hawks giant sandwiches in 110 countries and territories, could not in fact be defined as bread because of its high sugar content.

The ruling followed an appeal by Bookfinders Ltd, Subway’s Irish franchisee. The company had argued that the bread used in Subway sandwiches counted as a staple food and was consequently exempt from VAT.

However, as the court pointed out, Ireland’s Value-Added Tax Act of 1972 draws a distinction between staple foods – bread, tea, coffee, cocoa, milk and “preparations or extracts of meat or eggs” – and “more discretionary indulgences” such as ice-cream, chocolate, pastries, crisps, popcorn and roasted nuts.

The clincher was the act’s strict provision that the amount of sugar in bread “shall not exceed 2% of the weight of flour included in the dough”.

Subway’s bread, however, contains five times as much sugar. Or, as the supreme court put it: “In this case, there is no dispute that the bread supplied by Subway in its heated sandwiches has a sugar content of 10% of the weight of the flour included in the dough.”

Guardian

Thats some sugar content for bread!

I’ve always been deeply suspicious of Subway.

The stink of weird warm fat outside everyone just for a start. Imagine, if they put carpet underlay in the bread, what the **** is in the meatball.

First time I was with someone that went to a Subway I got halfway through being dazzled by the process and the options and stepped back and decided not to bother.

Just something, I don’t know what, put me in mind of Saturday Night Holocaust, by the Dead Kennedys.

• Like 1

56 minutes ago, chappy said:

Subway is excellent. I worked there whilst at uni and will always defend it!

The smell though! Do you become accustomed to it?

• Like 2

1 hour ago, chappy said:

Subway is excellent. I worked there whilst at uni and will always defend it!

Whitener in the bread that they use to make carpet underlay and 10% sugar in the bread?

That’s actually indefensible.

3 hours ago, Xela said:

The smell though! Do you become accustomed to it?

I think I've posted this a few times

Way back when, we used to have accounts with BK, McD, Subway and KFC to take the staff home at the end of the night

Subway workers without a shadow of a doubt stunk the worst by a considerable margin. Feck knows what the smell is but it was always the same. It's not a natural smell, its very unpleasant especially when you have four people in the close proximity of your car who've been amongst it for a full shift

I have never set foot in a Subway ever because of that smell. I'll even avoid Petrol Stations with Subways in them. To think that smell comes from something that people eat is quite alarming as it is definitely not a natural smell

• Like 3

6 hours ago, chrisp65 said:

Whitener in the bread that they use to make carpet underlay and 10% sugar in the bread?

That’s actually indefensible.

Re. whitener, do you mean in America? It hasn’t been allowed in food in the UK since 1990. We know that the US has highly questionable food hygiene standards, and in any case - Subway stopped using it (again, presumably in America) in 2014.

Sugar content in the bread - not 10% of all the ingredients but 10% of the weight of the flour. I’m not denying that’s not a lot but look beyond the headline. It’s less than in a Big Mac bun, if you’re looking to compare against a competitor.

I never found the smell to be that bad. I worked in a kitchen in a ‘nice’ restaurant washing pots as a teenager and the stench on your clothes after a shift there was infinitely worse. Not surprised to see @bickster pop up with the taxi story; you’re right, you have posted it before. Bit of a sensitive nose I’d say.

Â