News story of the day

BOF

9 hours ago, rjw63 said:

Apparently news story of the day is "who shot Phil Mitchell".

It was on the BBC ten o'clock news. Really important then.

I didn't know about it, first time I'd heard, don't give a shit

So, to add to my most hated list of words (pandemic, Brexit, "vunrebble", circuit break, lockdown etc etc) we can now add BBC News (is wank)

What a load of pish, hardly JR Ewing is he, now that was a proper whodunnit shooting 

13 hours ago, Genie said:

I completely agree. You can understand the people trying to come over to Europe from Africa to a degree, but the people that could settle in France but risk their lives to come to the UK is a head scratcher. I wonder if the gangs that are moving them are filling them with lies about how much better they’ll be treated if they survive the journey.

Is there any figures for what percentage actually attempt the crossing favouring the UK over France?  I’m sure there’s plenty content to stay there but we don’t hear about them.

6 minutes ago, Wainy316 said:

Is there any figures for what percentage actually attempt the crossing favouring the UK over France?  I’m sure there’s plenty content to stay there but we don’t hear about them.

Yeah that would be interesting to know. The stat on the news the other night said 7,900 had attempted the trip this year. I’ve no idea how many decided to stay in France.

15 hours ago, Genie said:

I mentioned this yesterday, I don’t understand what makes the UK so attractive over France to risk your life for?

I posted a link to a twitter thread/post in one of the other bolitics threads (perhaps the Tory one?) a couple of weeks ago that gave some explanations.

Off the top of my head, there was research commissioned by The Home Office a few years ago (2013?) that quite well answered all of these questions.

I'll try and find it.

Edit: Can''t seem to track it down. Probably have more joy trawling through his tweets which I'll have a crack at this afternoon sometime.

Edited by snowychap
  • Thanks 1

14 hours ago, Genie said:

I mentioned this yesterday, I don’t understand what makes the UK so attractive over France to risk your life for?

Because we're the best country in the world! 

And because we're soft! We give them free houses, free healthcare, we give them free driving lessons, free phones, I bet they even get free school dinners when it's half term! 

Might as well throw in that we won the war too and we still rule the seas

Oh and liz, I bet they love liz 

1 hour ago, villa4europe said:

Because we're the best country in the world! 

And because we're soft! We give them free houses, free healthcare, we give them free driving lessons, free phones, I bet they even get free school dinners when it's half term! 

Might as well throw in that we won the war too and we still rule the seas

Oh and liz, I bet they love liz 

No they don't, they hate her. The only reason they are coming over is so they can assassinate her and piss on the grave of The Princess of Our Hearts™. 

• Like 2

Three men had to be rescued by firefighters after getting stuck in a tumble dryer.

Essex County Fire and Rescue Service were called to a derelict laundry in Bower Hill, Epping, on Friday after the men, thought to be in their late teens, crawled into an industrial-sized dryer.

Two were in the dryer when the third's "ankles became trapped in the door" as he crawled in, the service said.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-essex-54760265

• Haha 1

18 hours ago, Xela said:

Three men had to be rescued by firefighters after getting stuck in a tumble dryer.

I once saw a short movie about an attractive female who got “trapped” in her tumble dryer. You’ll be pleased to know there was a happy ending.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

30 minutes ago, Mandy Lifeboats said:

Amazing pictures.  

A disaster in Rotterdam was prevented by a sculpture of a whale.  

The joke about a WHALE-WEIGH STATION comes true.  😀  

Image shows a metro train that shot through a stop block at De Akkers metro station

Image shows a metro train that shot through a stop block at De Akkers metro station

Apparently the sculpture is called 'Saved by the Whale's Tail', too.

4 hours ago, Mandy Lifeboats said:

Amazing pictures.  

A disaster in Rotterdam was prevented by a sculpture of a whale.  

The joke about a WHALE-WEIGH STATION comes true.  😀  

I like the way its just perched on there :ph34r:

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, OutByEaster? said:

Immigrants.

You're joking, Walford is the whitest part of London! It must be the seat of power for the BNP! 

• Haha 1

@Xela’s parents having another clear out Link

Star Wars toys dumped in Stourbridge garage fetch £250,000

collection of vintage Star Wars toys found in bin bags in a garage has fetched more than £250,000 at auction.

They and other toys were left to an elderly couple, from Stourbridge, in their neighbour's will.

The couple were unaware of the value of the items, which sold in total for £410,000, and had arranged for skips to throw many of them away.

They were sold by Aston's Auctioneers in Dudley, West Midlands, in its last sale before closing permanently.

Auctioneer Chris Aston said he did not expect the items to fetch so much. 

Palitoy Star Wars Jawa with rare Vinyl Cape on 12-back card.IMAGE COPYRIGHTASTON'S AUCTIONEERS
image captionThe Jawa with vinyl cape fetched £22,000

"The best piece was the vinyl cape Jawa, the guys from the desert in the original Star Wars film," he said.

"Not many of these vinyl cape ones made it on to the market, so to find one sealed on the card like the one in this collection, we think there is only eight of them in the world." 

That item alone fetched £22,000.

The unnamed couple had invited Mr Aston to look at the large number of toys and comics in the man's house, but had arranged for skips because they had no idea of how valuable some of the items were, Mr Aston said.

Bintage Star Wars figures on ESB Empire Strikes Back cards - all still sealedIMAGE COPYRIGHTASTON'S AUCTIONEERS
image captionThe auction of the collectables was the last by Aston's Auctioneers in Dudley

"The first day I was there I found a rare Batman figure," he said.

"As soon as I found that, I thought, well if that is in there, there could be loads of gems, so I instructed them to cancel the skips. 

"It was our best sale ever in 15 years and also our last ever auction as we are now closing the business permanently having been badly affected by the lockdown earlier in the year."

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Genie said:

@Xela’s parents having another clear out Link

Ha! I saw that earlier and sent the link to my Dad. I've since got my box of Star Wars figures out to have a look at. They're all well worn unfortunately. R2-D2 looks as though I have kicked him around the garden! 

Don't tell @It's Your Round  about these :ph34r:

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Xela said:

Ha! I saw that earlier and sent the link to my Dad. I've since got my box of Star Wars figures out to have a look at. They're all well worn unfortunately. R2-D2 looks as though I have kicked him around the garden! 

Don't tell @It's Your Round  about these :ph34r:

Why, oh why, did you have to go and call me to see this! I’m sure I had a Jawa figure, can’t remember if there was more than one type but I definitely had one of them.

At least the Stourbridge couple did well out of it. I wonder if their neighbour had any clue how valuable they’d turn out to be. 

Â