News story of the day

BOF

1 hour ago, chrisp65 said:

it self identifies as an island, it's not for you to decide what it is

Its all the fault of David Davies MP,  no not him, or him or the other one. Davis Davies from Llandinam

• Like 1

8 hours ago, bickster said:

Its all the fault of David Davies MP,  no not him, or him or the other one. Davis Davies from Llandinam

We had to sing a song about DD back in the day when I was in school. To the tune of 'who built the arc?', but the lyric was 'Who built the docks? David! Davies! Who built the docks? David Davies built the docks!'

We have the exact same statue of him as Llandinham does, they took two casts from the one mould. 

Our other song, once out of school, was to stand along the cliff that looks inland to Barry and sing our song ‘if you wanna stay alive, stay off the island’. Sang whilst banging sticks together.
It was an idyllic childhood.
tumblr_n4w35k2XBw1qgleipo1_500.gif

• Like 2

18 minutes ago, chrisp65 said:

We had to sing a song about DD back in the day when I was in school. To the tune of 'who built the arc?', but the lyric was 'Who built the docks? David! Davies! Who built the docks? David Davies built the docks!'

We have the exact same statue of him as Llandinham does, they took two casts from the one mould. 

Our other song, once out of school, was to stand along the cliff that looks inland to Barry and sing our song ‘if you wanna stay alive, stay off the island’. Sang whilst banging sticks together.
It was an idyllic childhood.

I only know about him because I regularly drive through Llandinam and eventually curiosity got the better of me, who the hell is David Davies as it seems such a small place to have such a big sodding statue, so I looked him up

• 3 weeks later...

The other, other white meat...

(Bangkok) There are people in Thailand recently who found "meat" in a vegetarian restaurant in Bangkok and reported it quickly. Unexpectedly, after the police arrived at the scene, they found that the meat was not pork or beef, but human flesh. After the police officer found a semi-naked male body in the septic tank next to the restaurant, the restaurant owner had escaped.

When the police officers arrived, they found that there was no one in the restaurant, so they went to the kitchen to search. But as soon as he stepped into the kitchen, he saw the walls and the ground full of blood, and the ground was more suspected of human scalp and meat.

The police conducted another investigation and found a male body in a septic tank.

The police pointed out that the deceased was beaten with violence before his death, and the abdomen and left thigh were stabbed 5 knives and 1 knife respectively. The five senses of the deceased and the head were severely rotted. The family finally borrowed the tattoo on the left chest and left arm to recognize the identity of the 61-year-old deceased.

The deceased brother said that the last time he saw his brother was on Sunday, when he was drinking in the restaurant and suddenly disappeared.

https://www.zaobao.com.sg/znews/others/story20181028-902767

• 2 weeks later...

Sign of the apocalypse?

Paradise destroyed as Camp Fire burns 20,000 acres in Northern California

The blaze, which has grown to 20,000 acres, is concentrated in the Feather River Canyon off Highway 70 in Pugla, a town about 50 miles east of Chico, the California Department of Forestry and Fire Protection announced on Twitter.

The entire town of Paradise was under evacuation as several homes in the area became engulfed in the fire, Cal Fire Public Information Officer Scott McClean said at a press conference Thursday. McLean said the town was largely destroyed and while it was impossible to know the exact number of buildings destroyed, it was "a couple of thousand or more."

The blaze surrounded the Feather River Hospital, causing hospital staff to evacuate patients via life flight and search and rescue teams, McClean said. The old portion of the hospital ended up in flames, officials told reporters Thursday afternoon.

Upwards of 1,000 structures face damage, Butte County Cal Fire Chief Darren Read said in the press conference.

The Butte County Sheriff's Office has received reports of multiple fatalities, but officials are trying to confirm those reports, Sheriff Kory Honea told reporters.

Dramatic radio calls among members of the Butte County Sheriff’s Department portrayed several terrifying emergency situations that unfolded amid the fast-moving fire.

One sheriff’s deputy described four people who were trapped in the basement of the Feather River Hospital in the audio obtained by KABC.

"They’re safe underneath, but they can’t get out,” the deputy said before a dispatcher responded, “Tell them to shelter in place."

https://abcnews.go.com/US/officials-order-evacuations-camp-fire-threatens-8000-acres/story?id=59065896

I'm 200 miles away and the air quality is terrible.   Reduced visibility, smoky smell.  I'm work in a hospital, where ventilation systems have much more efficient filtration than residential and commercial buildings and we have a noticeable smell of smoke and some people complaining of respiratory problems.   It's unreal how fast and far the effects have spread.   I'm expecting my daughter's soccer practice to be cancelled this afternoon.

• Sad 1

Here's a view of the smoke plume of the Woolsey fire looking toward Malibu from ~10 miles up the coast.  This is the one in southern California that started near Thousand Oaks, where the shooting occurred just a couple of days before, and jumped the freeway and spread rapidly to Malibu.  You get an idea of the strength of the winds driving this fire by how localized and horizontal the plume is and how it blows off shore before it gets any altitude.  The air where we are, in Oxnard/Ventura is perfectly clear bar the normal smog.  This fire has reached the coast and has almost nowhere left to spread to as long as the strong winds keep up.  Still, these are tense times in the area.  My dad is temporarily living in Oxnard because his house in Ventura burned down last December in what was at the time the most destructive fire in California history.  Having another huge one 11 months later that's just a few miles away is a bit nerve wracking.  Someone he knows lost their house last year and used the insurance money to buy a place in the town where this fire jumped the freeway and headed toward Malibu.  It appears they have somehow been spared this time.  Can you imagine losing homes to fires twice within a year?

SVXdpoJ.jpg

• Sad 3

Stink hits darts grand slam as match features flatulent end

'The world of professional darts has been rocked by two players accusing each other of repeatedly breaking wind during a match.

Gary Anderson of Scotland and the Dutchman Wesley Harms blamed each other for “rotten” farts during their clash in the Gland Slam of Darts.

Anderson, who has twice been the world champion, won the match 10-2 to earn a place in the quarter-finals of the competition. But in a post-match interview Harms said his poor form was due to Anderson breaking wind on stage and leaving a “fragrant smell”.

He went further while speaking to Dutch TV station RTL7L: “It’ll take me two nights to lose this smell from my nose.”

When Anderson in turn laid the blame at Harms’s door, the Dutchman responded: “If the boy [Anderson] thinks I’ve farted he’s 1010% wrong. I swear on my children’s lives that it was not my fault. I had a bad stomach once on stage before and admitted it. So I’m not going to lie about farting on stage.”

Anderson, the world No 4, hit back with extraordinary detail about the smell he blamed on Harms. “It definitely came from table-side and it was eggs, rotten eggs, but not from me. Every time I walked past there was a waft of rotten eggs so that’s why I was thinking it was him. It definitely wasn’t me.

“It was bad. It was a stink, then he started to play better and I thought he must have needed to get some wind out. If somebody has done that they need to see a doctor. Seemingly he says it was me but I would admit it.”

Anderson has admitted to farting on stage in the past, though was clear that he has “never used it as an advantage”.'

https://www.theguardian.com/sport/2018/nov/17/stink-hits-darts-grand-slam-as-match-features-flatulent-end

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

Posted this in another thread, but no-one noticed.  Perhaps it's really not funny, or maybe I should have signposted it more obviously.

In case it's the latter, can I say "I expect Richard Hodges was glad to see the back of the Vikings".

image.png.1cab5065213df210de35b43d0398cf72.png

Here

• Like 2

1 minute ago, il_serpente said:

I've long known that Vikings were pretty indiscriminate when it came to who they raped.   I'm surprised this is news.

To be fair, I didn't  originally post it in the news thread.  Especially since it's about events beyond even my personal recall.  :)

A robotic puppet reindeer at a shopping centre began singing an obscene Christmas tune to shocked customers after it was tampered with.

A young mum, who was with her friend and their daughters aged four and six, said she watched in horror as the animatronic deer at the Lowry Outlet at Salford Quays began singing 'Frosty The Pervert' on Tuesday evening.

https://www.manchestereveningnews.co.uk/news/greater-manchester-news/parents-shock-after-reindeer-puppet-15445779

• Haha 2

56 minutes ago, bickster said:

I'm calling bollocks on that bit, I'll wager she was laughing but decided to be outraged to get in the paper

Agreed.  If she was horrified she would have shepherded her kids quickly away rather than watch.  She was probably just pissed off that she had her kids with her and couldn't enjoy a good laugh.

Linkety clickings

OC Southwest gate agent mocks 5-year-old girl's name, posts boarding pass on social media

A Southwest Airlines gate agent at John Wayne Airport is accused of being awful in front of a five-year old girl - and on social media - because of her unique name.

The girl's mother says the agent made fun of the name and even posted a photo of her boarding pass on social media for others to chime in.

Five-year-old Abcde Redford pronounces her name "ab-city."

"The gate agent started laughing, pointing at me and my daughter, talking to other employees. So I turned around and said, 'Hey if I can hear you, my daughter can hear you, so I'd appreciate if you'd just stop,'" Traci Redford said.

Redford and her daughter were catching a flight home to El Paso, Texas a few weeks ago from John Wayne Airport in Orange County.

Abcde lives with epilepsy, so the Redfords always pre-board.

"While I was sitting there, she took a picture of my boarding pass and chose to post it on social media, mocking my daughter. It was actually brought to my attention by somebody who had seen it on Facebook and reported it to Southwest Airlines. And after two weeks of doing a formal complaint, Southwest hadn't done anything," said Redford.

Southwest Airlines gave us this statement: "We extend our sincere apology to the family. We take great pride in extending our Southwest Hospitality to all of our Customers, which includes living by the Golden Rule and treating every individual with respect, in person or online. The post is not indicative of the care, respect, and civility we expect from all of our Employees. We have followed up with the Employee involved, and while we do not disclose personnel actions publicly, we are using this as an opportunity to reinforce our policies and emphasize our expectations for all Employees."

The employee in question didn't answer our request for comment.

Redford said she's using this experience as a lesson for her daughter.

"She said 'Mom, why is she laughing at my name? And I said not everyone is nice and not everyone is going to be nice and it's unfortunate.'"

Â