News story of the day

BOF

and in other news it appears that Godzilla has awaken.

Mysterious sea vibration puzzles the researchers

A mysterious ocean vibration in the Indian Ocean is currently confusing seismologists all over the world.

This after strange seismic waves have been noted in several directions - even in Sweden.

"I have never seen anything like before," says Björn Lugn, seismologist at Uppsala University.

The slow waves lasted for about 20 minutes in the morning of November 11th.

Although no-one knew them, monitoring stations in the whole world, from New Zealand, Madagascar through Chile, Canada and Hawaii, saw the seismic waves.

The epicenter has been found around an area on the French island of Mayotte in the Indian Ocean .

During the mornings the theories were hot on the internet.

Could it be a meteorite fall? A submarine blown under the water? Or is it an old ocean monster that resides from the bottom of the ocean?

Diagram of the earthquake just outside the French island of Mayotte

May be due to earthquake

Despite many guesswork, nobody still knows what's happening.

"I never think I saw something like before," says Göran Ekström, seismologist at Columbia University, and expert on unusual earthquakes to National Geographic and continues:

"But that does not mean that the causes, in the end, are so exotic.

According to several researchers and seismologists, the mysterious mullet could be due to an earthquake in the area. However, none of a stronger character has been noted at the current time.

Instead, researchers argue that there may have been an underwater volcanic eruption that had an outbreak or any other form of magma activity. Other theories are that it may be just a meteorite cut.

So far, however, we suspect that the mysterious waves are related to an ongoing seismic mill in the region that has taken place in May, leading to hundreds of shakes.

However, most have been smaller, with the exception of a 5.8 scale at the Richter scale on May 15 this year.

At the same time, geology in the area is complex, which in turn can affect the waves.

Complex geology

Even in Sweden, the stations responded to the mysterious ocean vibration from Indian Oceania.

"There are very interesting registrations we have on our seismometers from all over Sweden. Ever from Skåne up to Torneträsk. There is no doubt that it is a very well-defined signal and I have never seen this before, "says Björn Lund, seismologist at Uppsala University.

Furthermore, he explains that it is very long-wave waves and not short as you see at the beginning of an earthquake, and that it is more like motion from surface waves traveling along the ground.

"What's strange is that they are very monochromatic. If you think of music, they are like a single tone. A baston. What we usually see at surface waves is a variety of tones.

- More like an orchestra.

Like many other researchers and seismologists, Björn Lund suspects that it is due to volcanic activity, but completely ruled out that it was a single great earthquake.

"It is quite obvious that there is not a big earthquake because they would have seen a lot of other waves. Instead, it indicates that it is volcanic activity. This long-wave signal is most commonly seen in volcanic areas but not so long in time. Here it was done with a single tone for 20 minutes and I have never seen that before. It's really something that has happened in the earth here.

To investigate the seabed

Researchers are now planning to investigate the seabed around Mayotte closer to the search for answers.

"There are many things we do not know about. As of November 11th, there is something new in the signals, says Nicolas Taillefer, director of the seismic and volcanic risk unit at BRGM to National Geographic.

Therefore, it remains to see if the answer becomes common or extraordinary.

- 99 percent of times have natural explanations or due to noise or a mistake. But 0.1 percent of the times, it's actually something else. And that's just the way it's science, says seismologist Anthony Lomax to National Geographic.

https://www.aftonbladet.se/nyheter/a/WLzMnL/mystisk-havsvibration-forbryllar-forskarna

People of Tokyo and nearby cities might want to head for safer grounds.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, sne said:

Haha yeah, Google Translate is usually comedy gold.

But I'm too lazy to edit it.

Oh don't edit them.  They're much more fun that way.  We can figure it out if we really need to :) 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

13 minutes ago, snowychap said:

Take a step back and have a think what you'd say if someone else had said or posted that, Stefan.

It wasn't posted seriously and it wasn't taken seriously by anyone.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

12 hours ago, Demitri_C said:

One day I’ll get this typing shit correct 

I heard a joke yesterday.  What do you call someone who is half man half tree.  Demitri.  Right then, it all made sense.

giphy.gif

• Haha 4

Oh my..

Hotel staff created a "horrifying" effigy of a couple's dead son in a misguided attempt at a tribute.

Karen Baker had arranged for workers at a Jamaican resort to dress a room for friends Faye and Andrew Stephens, whose son Alex died in 2014.

Instead, she was left "sweating and shaking" when met by the sight of a body made out of clothes lying on the hotel bed.

TUI UK refunded the family for the "misunderstanding".

The Stephens, from Willesden, north-west London, have made an annual tradition of celebrating their son's birthday since his death, aged 22, in 2014.

'Utterly horrified'

His godmother Ms Baker, from Hertfordshire, who was also on the trip, tipped two members of staff at the Royalton Jamaica Resort to secretly adorn the couple's bedroom with balloons and a cake.

Instead, they created the effigy, replete with tears on its face and a can of lager clutched in its hand, next to petals spelling out "We miss you Alex".

Mrs Baker, who first discovered the effigy, said she was "utterly horrified" and removed the dummy before her friends saw it.

"When I walked into the bedroom, all I can describe is a dummy body on the bed," she said.

"Staff had gone through my friend's wardrobe and stuffed the clothes with towels to make it look like a body on the bed. They even put tears down the face and a can of lager in his hand.

"I was absolutely horrified - as you can imagine I was sweating and shaking. We just didn't want our friends to see it.

"I have truly never seen anything like it. I still look at the photographs now and can't believe somebody thought to do that", she said.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 3

22 minutes ago, Paddywhack said:

Oh my..

"I was absolutely horrified - as you can imagine I was sweating and shaking. We just didn't want our friends to see it."

This bit made me laugh. 

"We just didn't want our friends to see it. They were about to come in to the room, we only had a short time to take the photographs and send them off to BBC news"

Edited by Paddywhack
  • Like 3
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, Paddywhack said:

This bit made me laugh. 

"We just didn't want our friends to see it. They were about to come in to the room, we only had a short time to take the photographs and send them off to BBC news"

They got their money back so mission accomplished! 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, choffer said:

_104680494_e48c4e08-2936-4f7f-9531-61eec

No wonder they miss him. What a handsome chap.

is this a cultural thing in Jamaica? like the elaborate coffins in Ghana, dia de los muertos, the people in Madagascar who dance with dug up corpses.

Â