News story of the day

BOF

• 3 weeks later...
19 minutes ago, HanoiVillan said:

Literally could be from the Onion:

That pissed me off.

"I used my pension money to pay for the £1,133 "dream holiday"" - Well none of that matters.  If you're 81, then whatever money you use will be your pension money.  If you have a problem with the cost, then you should have done more research into where you were going and you could have found a very similar trip for probably 250 quid each. 

Moaning about a 14th floor room (which of course would have had lifts) and then to moan about 42 steps down to the pool area.. well if your mobility is so poor, you shouldn't have gone to that hotel or the pool - that was your choice, you fat, old dumbass.

How the **** did that story get into the Mirror? WOW. 

Then the biggest problem is that she had a problem with Spaniards in Spain - just have a heart attack and **** off. 

And the irony of having her picture taken with a heart saying "love" on it isn't lost on me either. 

Edited by lapal_fan
  • Like 3

Wonder how much the Mirror paid her for the story?

The Mirror is just another shitrag, it's no better than any other tabloid, it just happens to support the red team in parliament as it gives them access to a different reader base (sorry set of Advert Targets)

• 4 weeks later...

The number of movies and TV shows that starts like this is endless...

About 10 sick passengers treated after Emirates flight lands in NYC

About 10 sick passengers were treated after an Emirates flight from Dubai landed in New York City Wednesday morning, the airline said.

The plane was kept away from the terminal at John F. Kennedy airport as authorities investigated reports of sick passengers.

Emirates flight 203 had declared a medical emergency and landed in New York at 9:10 a.m., the Federal Aviation Administration said in a statement.

"Emirates can confirm that about 10 passengers on #EK203 from Dubai to New York were taken ill. On arrival, as a precaution, they were attended to by local health authorities. All others will disembark shortly. The safety & care of our customers is our first priority," the airline tweeted.

Statement: Emirates can confirm that about 10 passengers on #EK203 from Dubai to New York were taken ill. On arrival, as a precaution, they were attended to by local health authorities. All others will disembark shortly. The safety & care of our customers is our first priority.

The flu is being investigated as a possible culprit, two sources told ABC News.

A United Emirates flight sits on the tarmac at JFK International Airport in New York with possible sick passengers on board, Sept. 5, 2018.

The plane was quarantined after it landed and the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention was at the scene, said New York City Mayor Bill DeBlasio's press secretary, Eric Phillips.

First responders are gathered on the tarmac in a photo shared by passenger on board a United Emirates flight that landed at JFK airport in New York with possible sick passengers on board, Sept. 5, 2018.more +

"Flight started in Dubai and stopped in Mecca, which is experiencing a flu outbreak. Early indications point to that as a POSSIBILITY. More to come," Phillips tweeted, adding that ambulances were on hand to transport people.

https://abcnews.go.com/US/authorities-investigating-reports-flight-100-ill-people-york/story?id=57617520

• 4 weeks later...
3 minutes ago, bickster said:

Yep proof positive that Student Union Sabbaticals really are f***ing stupid

The 80's are well and truly back

It's beyond idiotic but not sure the 80s are well and truly back. SUs have always been susceptible to utter idiots.

Anyway, just for them, a seal of approval (I know, I know):

giphy.gif

5 minutes ago, snowychap said:

It's beyond idiotic but not sure the 80s are well and truly back. SUs have always been susceptible to utter idiots.

Anyway, just for them, a seal of approval (I know, I know):

giphy.gif

Nah this is definitely the special idiots of the 80's. We had a Welfare Officer, elected as a Tory who was engaged to be married to the President of the SU, elected on the same slate, By the end of the year she was a right on lesbian full of hair-brained schemes, just like this

Just now, bickster said:

Nah this is definitely the special idiots of the 80's. We had a Welfare Officer, elected as a Tory who was engaged to be married to the President of the SU, elected on the same slate, By the end of the year she was a right on lesbian full of hair-brained schemes, just like this

That sounds just like the 90s too, Bicks.

And I'd punt the last couple of decades (the punt is based on a lack of experience).

2 minutes ago, snowychap said:

That sounds just like the 90s too, Bicks.

And I'd punt the last couple of decades (the punt is based on a lack of experience).

I'd agree on the 90's, well the early 90's anyway but since then the Student Union has been in heavy decline. My daughter reckons she goes in hers maybe twice a year. the kids generally couldn't give a shit about the SU generally. In Liverpool at JMU, they don't even have a building any more, they have Sabbs, who hold "surgeries" in obscure cafeterias once or twice a week and announce other bland SU type welfare things via Twitter. Meanwhile the students don't have a clue who they are and really don't care. I'd say all the ones I've encountered in the last 20 or so years have been the dullest of dull people

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, bickster said:

I'd agree on the 90's, well the early 90's anyway but since then the Student Union has been in heavy decline. My daughter reckons she goes in hers maybe twice a year. the kids generally couldn't give a shit about the SU generally. In Liverpool at JMU, they don't even have a building any more, they have Sabbs, who hold "surgeries" in obscure cafeterias once or twice a week and announce other bland SU type welfare things via Twitter. Meanwhile the students don't have a clue who they are and really don't care. I'd say all the ones I've encountered in the last 20 or so years have been the dullest of dull people

Well, my experience ended in the early nineties so...

But them becoming peripheral to normal students' life doesn't necessarily mean they haven't continued to be spoons. Indeed, might it not suggest that this jazz hands story is likely to concern no more than a few dozen people anyway?

WTF are Jazz hands anyway?

5 minutes ago, snowychap said:

Well, my experience ended in the early nineties so...

But them becoming peripheral to normal students' life doesn't necessarily mean they haven't continued to be spoons. Indeed, might it not suggest that this jazz hands story is likely to concern no more than a few dozen people anyway?

WTF are Jazz hands anyway?

The British Sign Languague version of clapping... apparently

MUSU has remained one of the few SU's in the vein that we remember them as. But even their Sabbs have been less nutty until recently

• Thanks 1

On 02/10/2018 at 23:01, bickster said:

The British Sign Languague version of clapping... apparently

MUSU has remained one of the few SU's in the vein that we remember them as. But even their Sabbs have been less nutty until recently

I lost my very briefly held role of film reviewer for Manchester Uni's student newspaper in circa 2005 or 2006 when RESPECT won the union elections. 

Somehow this isn't a Newsthump article:

Ban on putting Shetland in a box on maps comes into force

_101801049_shetlandbox.jpg

'New rules barring public bodies from putting Shetland in a box on official documents have come into force.

Islands MSP Tavish Scott had sought to change the law to ban the "geographical mistake" which "irks" locals, by amending the Islands (Scotland) Bill.

The bill's "mapping requirement" has now come into force, although it does give bodies a get-out clause if they provide reasons why a box must be used.

Mapmakers argue that boxes help avoid "publishing maps which are mostly sea".'

_101822182_shetland976.gif

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-scotland-politics-45733111

Â