The iPhone Topic

mrchnry

I read it's a lot more of an upgrade than 3g->3gs so I'm expecting a different name.

Laura... the only problem I have with doing that, though it's most likely.. is I can basically upgrade to the 3gs in a month at no cost to me, what with trading mine in.. or with some profit if I sell privately. But if I wait, yes I get the better handset without doubt but I'll likely lose out on the value my 3g currently has... though on the flipside the simplicity deal for a couple months will save me about 20-40.. at a guess.

The new one will be out in June/July according to rumours.

Probably called 3GX or 3GS HD or summat like that!

People are saying it may be pushed out to give the iPad some market time. I'd think a wiser move would be to release the new iPhone right before Christmas. Thus giving the iPad time to do business and giving the iPhone the Christmas sales.

The_Rev wrote:

Talking Carl.

Somebody has to recreate this. Smile

I'm a little embarassed to say that I found that completely hilarious!

That's a cure for depression I tell you!

I've already downloaded it and got the ladyfriend to dl it. Wasn't as funny second time round.

However, going mental at Carl and just shouting random words and noises produces hilarity.

so OS4 when released will bring multitasking, but only if you have a 3GS or the next generation due in the summer.

Apple really need to up their game as Android is gaining ground rapidly.

Multitasking is one of those game uppers though. I have a second gen iPod touch running 3.0, and an Android phone (HTC Hero fwiw) and the multitasking is a huge advantage on the Android. I can have Last.fm running away in the background while pissing around on the web browser or facebook or whatever, on the iPod (which is a lovely bit of kit btw) I cant do that as one app will close if I try to open another. It clearly has the grunt to do multitasking, as you can listen to music on the iPod software while browsing, so it always just seemed like another one of Apples bizarre limitations on their products.

Android might be the best thing that ever happened to the iPhone as it really is forcing Apple to introduce cool features.

Opera Mini was approved by Apple and is now in the App Store.

PCMag.com"]

Opera Mini wins when AT&T fails. The first true alternative browser for Apple's iPhone isn't a better browser than Mobile Safari, at least most of the time. But when AT&T's network totally collapses on you, Opera Mini pulls Web pages out where Apple's own browser stalls and gutters.

There are a lot of programs calling themselves "Web browsers" in the App Store, but almost all of them are lying. Rather than being actual browsers, they're skins for Apple's Mobile Safari rendering engine. Opera Mini is different. As a proxy browser, it doesn't actually load Web pages at all. Rather, it sends a request to Opera's servers, which loads the page, compresses it by 80-90%, and sends your phone a compressed image of the page.

The result is extremely fast page load times. Opera Mini is faster than Safari even on good 3G; a NYTimes.com page that loaded in 22 seconds on Safari loaded in 10 on Opera, and I saw similar or even better results on other pages.

But on EDGE—or on bad 3G—Opera simply smoked Safari. An Adobe.com page that took a minute and 40 seconds to load with Safari loaded 30 seconds faster with Opera. A NYTimes.com page that took two minutes with Safari took a mere 34 seconds with Opera. Opera made browsing on slow networks possible.

Beyond Speed

The program has some other appealing features beyond speed. Opera Mini starts up to a "speed dial" screen of nine bold, graphical bookmarks. It's a multi-window browser like Safari, but you don't have to leave the page you're browsing to flick through your other windows; they appear in a bar at the bottom of the screen. Settings lets you tinker with your font sizes and synchronize your bookmarks with Opera on the desktop.

But I'm disappointed with the lack of multiple zoom levels and how many of the buttons don't look like standard iPhone user interface elements. (Copy-and-paste, for instance, works, but the pop-up menu doesn't look like iPhone copy-and-paste.) Opera Mini has two levels of zoom. Pages start out zoomed way out, to an unreadable level. Tap once to zoom in and center on what you're tapping on; most text columns are automatically reformatted for the width of the screen.

Opera is for basic Web browsing. It doesn't support video, audio, or Flash. Fonts seem to be hammered down to a very limited set. Opera can't handle interactive Web apps like Safari does. Because it's transferring compressed data, Opera Mini pages are basically static; if you click on a button or pop up a calendar, it often reloads the whole page.

Opera Mini 5 won't replace Safari. Safari is a more capable browser and is better integrated into the iPhone experience. Rather, Apple approving Opera Mini is a shot at AT&T's network problems. In a perfect world with perfect networks, iPhones wouldn't need this browser. But when AT&T fails, Opera Mini will have you surfing while everyone else around you is stuck trying to load pages. That makes it a valuable, if niche, product for the iPhone.

Don't you love the inconsistency? Apple stop the wifi scanners as they offer no additional function over the built-in software, but they allow a web browser.

It's a good job there are cross-platform development tools, or pretty soon no-one would be developing for iphone.

Which of these would work on the iPod Touch as I've won a 64gb one of those and know nothing about them or iTunes?
Almost all of them, Al. The ones that don't are pretty much the ones using GPS - there's no GPS in the iPod touch, though it can work out where you are from wi-fi.

Camera apps or microphone apps (see Talking Carl on the previous page) wont work either, but 99% of apps will. I have had an iPod touch for more than a year now and have never been annoyed by incompatible apps.

Â