Jimmy Milner - the new Steven Gerard?

barry'sboots

Can Jimmy be as good or better than Stevie G?  

150 members have voted

1. 1. Can Jimmy be as good or better than Stevie G?

• No, he still has a lot to do to even be compared
    • Yes, he has the potential to be as good as Gerrard

to me he is more like the new Scholes rather than the new Gerrard

however he still has some way to go to be compared to either

Hmmm...Scholes couldn't tackle for **** though?

All brilliant attacking players, but both Gerrard and Milner have a defensive side to their game.

Gerrard's got the edge at the moment, but Milner is gaining ground quickly. Gerrard's world class, and he's proved it as an England regular and he's played in the Champions League.

Milner's been brilliant this season for us and he has to go to South Africa, and based on current form (which Capello says he picks the side on) Milner will be a starter.

Its getting hard to ignore the similarities between them although as yet Milner has acted like a spoilt word removed, punched someone for not playing his song or taking cheating to a new level oh and he hasn't got a flat head either. I can see him scoring 15+ this season.

I think we're getting a bit carried away here. He has a long way to go to be as good as Gerrard. If he keeps up his level of improvement however there is every chance he could become an England regular.

I don't think anyone is saying he is as good as Gerrard though, simply that he could be the next Gerrard.

I don't think anyone is saying he is as good as Gerrard though, simply that he could be the next Gerrard.

Agreed. What do people think of the idea of playing him in a similar way to Gerard i.e. effectively as a second striker off Gabby?

I'd like that, but not sure alongside Gabby. Alot of Milner's assists have been towards Heskey. I'm not saying it should be Heskey, however it should be a more clever forward than Gabby who makes better runs and positioning is better. Look at Heskey's last 3 goals, all the same movement, he also did it against Blackburn in the away leg but had a poor touch.

I think Deph in the future could possibly play the role Milner is playing, while Milner plays more advanced. Possibly if Delfouneso grows and physically becomes stronger and an all round better player, he possibly could be that man as he looks sharp, quick and good infront of goal.

Agreed. What do people think of the idea of playing him in a similar way to Gerard i.e. effectively as a second striker off Gabby?

One big weakness he'd have compared to Gerrard in that role is to be able to win and score headers.

I think to call him the next Gerrard is very premature..I mean, as someone as said in the 14 games in the middle he has played for us, against stoke an liverpool i didnt think he was brilliant.

I just hope that given a proper run of games to get familiar with the roll, he doesn't have as dip in form like ash or gabby have in the past. I think you have to be consistantly good over a long period i.e. 2/3 seasons to be classed anywhere near Gerrard.

I love him though, and he has got the POTENTIAL, lets hope he realises it sooner rather than later.

....Technical ability, no comparison.... despite jimmy's impressive displays.

Gerrard is much stronger on the ball and has far more awareness of whats going on around him.

Gerrard has greater ability to change a game, however jimmy is young and who knows what he can acheive.

I think Platt was a better player too....slightly different but more effective.

I have mixed feelings on jimmy's energy, sometimes he covers too many area's and we lose our shape..... particularly when we havn't got the ball.

not trying to be picky, but not as convinced as some.

As good as Gerrard allready IMO.

Yeah right :lol:

We would have had very different results against Arsenal and Liverpool if it was Gerrard running the midfield in those games instead of Milner.

Milner has been great in the middle against weaker teams but has not been able to take control of a game against top opposition yet.

Lets hope that develops.

yeah what he said

Â