Jimmy Milner - the new Steven Gerard?

barry'sboots

Can Jimmy be as good or better than Stevie G?  

150 members have voted

1. 1. Can Jimmy be as good or better than Stevie G?

• No, he still has a lot to do to even be compared
    • Yes, he has the potential to be as good as Gerrard

I think to call him the next Gerrard is very premature..I mean, as someone as said in the 14 games in the middle he has played for us, against stoke an liverpool i didnt think he was brilliant.

So is that 9 goals in 14 games playing CM???

If so that is hugely impressive.

He should definately be in the running for the player of the year awards - not many better midfielders in form this season.

Gerrard has had a wretched season so far,

Giggs has been used sparingly

Lampard only now adjusting to Ancelotti's tactics

Fabregas - well to be fair, he's had a good season too....

....Technical ability, no comparison.... despite jimmy's impressive displays.

I have mixed feelings on jimmy's energy, sometimes he covers too many area's and we lose our shape..... particularly when we havn't got the ball.

not trying to be picky, but not as convinced as some.

TRO, agree with some of your points. The original post was about potential and not a comparison of Milner after 14 games and Gerard at his peak.

As to energy, I think this is a highly valid point but I think Gerard also has this attribute and that is why I am suggesting that Jimmy might be better suited to the third midfielder/second striker role?

I think his weaker games have been against sides playing 4-3-3 where he tends to get the runaround, especially when playing with Stan who is not the most athletic DCM. The 4-3-3 system would really release him IMO and we could see a 20 goal a season midfielder in the Lampard/Gerard mould.

Not the new Steven Gerrard but getting there slowly, but surely.

Amazed at his progression, those years of playing have come to fruition for sure but then I think many people saw central midfield as his best position.

Definitely the potential though....

A better poll would have been,

Now we have James Milner, Gareth Barry who? Yes? or no? Discuss.

Barry seems like a long time ago for me.....I still like the guy but we have James Milner baby!

....Technical ability, no comparison.... despite jimmy's impressive displays.

I have mixed feelings on jimmy's energy, sometimes he covers too many area's and we lose our shape..... particularly when we havn't got the ball.

not trying to be picky, but not as convinced as some.

TRO, agree with some of your points. The original post was about potential and not a comparison of Milner after 14 games and Gerard at his peak.

As to energy, I think this is a highly valid point but I think Gerard also has this attribute and that is why I am suggesting that Jimmy might be better suited to the third midfielder/second striker role?

I think his weaker games have been against sides playing 4-3-3 where he tends to get the runaround, especially when playing with Stan who is not the most athletic DCM. The 4-3-3 system would really release him IMO and we could see a 20 goal a season midfielder in the Lampard/Gerard mould.

Barry, as you know, we agree on so many points and yes I know where your coming from.

Jimmy Milner is getting all the plaudits right now and many parts of his game are impressive. I think he was a fine signing and his attitude is second to none a great acquisition.

I think at times when we havn't got the ball against some teams we look vulnerable.It is always going to be difficult to close teams down with 3 wingers.... and I appreciate that we all look for different things in a game.

I favour the "smash & grab" counter attacking style and then the ability to deny the opposition space.... the other night would have me a coronary if I had to watch it regularly despite the sheer excitement of it all.

Martin O'Neill is clearly looking for an attacking option and these 3 are very good at times and doubtful at other times( Particularly when the opposition are stronger in midfield, like at the emirates)

but he has got his mindset and while it works who can knock him.

Â