Jimmy Milner - the new Steven Gerard?

barry'sboots

Can Jimmy be as good or better than Stevie G?  

150 members have voted

1. 1. Can Jimmy be as good or better than Stevie G?

• No, he still has a lot to do to even be compared
    • Yes, he has the potential to be as good as Gerrard

I was debating with my Old Man last night whether Milner has the potential to be better than Steven Gerrard and just saw the comparison posted on the Milner thread. Clearly, Gerard has done it for a number of years so Jimmy has that consistency and longevity to achieve before he can really be compared to Gerard. However, when I look at his attributes I struggle to see much that Gerard does better than our boy.

- Jimmy is more two footed, as last nights strike showed

- Jimmy has a better engine

- Jimmy has a real strike on him, probably not too dissimilar in this respect

- Both can hit a long ball very accurately

- Gerrard probably has more nous and maturity and is capable of more variety but this will come to Jimmy I believe

- Jimmy is more disciplined when playing a wide role if needed

I can't really remember Gerard at a similar age - probably 5 or 6 years ago - so difficult to make a direct comparison. It was probably easier for Gerard to shine as he was coming through in a Plop team with better players around him than Jimmy has had during his time at Leeds, Newcastle and Villa first time although the current crop at VP is getting there. It has also obviously taken longer for Jimmy to find his true position although Gerard has also spent a lot of time out on the right in the past.

Gerard's best position in recent years has proved to be off a single striker with two midfielders behind him. I personally would love to see a defensive midfielder (for me NRC but I know most would prefer Stan) with Delph alongside as our Alonso (playmaker) allowing Jimmy the freedom of the park. I think he would be a 20 goals a season midfielder like Gerard and Lampard with this formation.

Has every chance to be the standard of player Gerrard is although they are slightly different players.

Why do you say this? I think they are very similar.

I said slightly different. Gerrard can compete in the air better, i'd say is better defensively and has consistently scored goals. No doubt Milner can get to that level on the previous two aspects as he's been fairly good from a defensive point of view so far in the CM and been banging in the goals as well.

Has every chance to be the standard of player Gerrard is although they are slightly different players.

Why do you say this? I think they are very similar.

I said slightly different. Gerrard can compete in the air better, i'd say is better defensively and has consistently scored goals. No doubt Milner can get to that level on the previous two aspects as he's been fairly good from a defensive point of view so far in the CM and been banging in the goals as well.

Yeah I agree with this Milner really is improving game on game, the only attributes that SG has to his game that Milner doesn't is defensively but I think that will come.

Main difference is that Milner is improving, and Gerrard if anything is standing still or getting worse (may just be form though)

Guest Ricardomeister

Gerrard (in a Liverpool shirt) has been world class for 7 or 8 years. Jimmy has been excellent but he has a long way to go. He has the potential to be in the Gerrard class but only time will tell.

I voted for the second one, but emphasis on the word potential. Jimmy is a very similar player, but doesn't at the moment have the consistency that Gerrard has. Gerrard (in a Liverpool shirt) has been Liverpool's best player, and probably the stand out performer in the PL) for several seasons. Many times he's popped up with vital goals and superb assists to grab wins from losing positions.

Milner does have a better work rate defensively though I think. I can see a future midfield of Walcott - Milner - Wilshere - Downing.

People think Gerrard is good defensively? :shock: He is all over the pitch off the ball, lots of effort but very little discipline or positional sense. He's a bit of a liability in the middle in a 4-4-2. Hence his best position is an attacking mid/2nd striker.

Gerrard is generally a better scorer (although not this season..) which is really the reason he's world class, 20 goals from an attacking mid is a fantastic asset for any team. Milner still has time to improve, when Gerrard was his age he scored 6 in 47 (and his scoring ability took off after that: 13 next season, 23 season after that). Milner has 8 in 28 this season.

Gerrard score those spectular free kicks - which only Gerrard can score - no one else could hit the ball so hard - but keep it low. However the frequency with gerrard does this has always been overstated. There are also plenty of games where Gerrard is ineffective - this is what stops him from being really top class - he can be nullified.

Milner is more consistent - but not as spectlar - He also doesn't moan as much as gerrard.

Â