LC: SF Blackburn a Match Thread 2010/01/14 20:00

limpid

On a side note, the Lancashire Telegraph reports yesterday that BRFC are 'hoping' for a gate of 20,000 (including Villa fans) tomorrow, although they have only sold 11,500 tickets to home fans. I know we already knew it, but what disgraceful support.

I hate to tempt fate, but:

1. We have MUCH better support (sorry for stating the obvious).

2. We have a FAR superior team.

3. They have key players injured, we have no fresh doubts.

4. We have more players in our first team that have never reached a final (therefore in theory, more determination to get there)

5. We play away first, then take them back to ours (which is the favoured scenario).

Quite simply, we will NEVER have a better chance of getting back to Wembley. And if we can't beat this pathetic club over two legs, then we don't bloody deserve to get there!

Come On You Villaaaaa Boyssssss 8)

Mmmmm See leeds utd at OT...

Massively different circumstances to be fair though mate. You can't really use that as an example.

Not really mate... you cant say leeds winning at ot was not an upset?..

Leeds went into that match with confidence, they'd only lost once all season.

Blackburn haven't won in 11, and its not like they're a lower league side raising their game for the big boys as its an all premiership tie

• Replies 976
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

What im trying to say is... leeds beating man utd is a far bigger upset than if blackburn beating villa... Upsets happen please dont think we have already won this game!.. After all they have already turned us over up there this season...

I think the only people who shouldn't be over-confident are the players - and I'm sure MON will sort them out mentally!

We are much stronger than we were when we lost to them (Downing addition/ Milner moved to middle), they do have key players injured and we'll be buzzing after out current form! (Liverpool and Arsenal games aside)

What im trying to say is... leeds beating man utd is a far bigger upset than if blackburn beating villa... Upsets happen please dont think we have already won this game!.. After all they have already turned us over up there this season...

Utd-Leeds is completely different circumstances, like I said, for the following reasons:

-Leeds were on an amazing run and fielded a full-strength line-up.

-United had been on a pretty dismal run (by their very high standards) and fielded an under-strength team.

-The lower league team had a striker (Beckford) who had been linked with some pretty high-profile teams and this was a perfect chance to raise his stock further in front of the watching media.

-That was a 3rd round FA Cup tie, and as United's team proved, they had very little passion for beating Leeds. Ours, on the other hand, is a Semi-Final so what's at stake is completely different.

-It was a one-off cup tie which is far easier for an "upset" to occur, than a game played over two legs.

-The Leeds-Utd game is arguably one of the biggest derbies in English football. And as Leeds have had such a torrid few years in the footballing wilderness, they were always going to relish playing their big rivals in a cup tie, with effectively nothing to lose. And that showed on the day, they wanted it far more.

And, despite it being a fantastic result for a Leeds fan, I can't say the result was entirely unpredictable going by the factors I have stated above. Yes it was an upset, but not a massive one.

So, no, you absolutely cannot compare our two-legged Semi Final with Blackburn, with a 3rd round FA Cup tie between Leeds and United.

Of course, football is football and it is very unpredictable at the best of times. I didn't say I thought we were already in the final, I merely stated we would absolutely never have a better chance. And surely no-one can disagree with that?

Listen - I know what the rules are - and I know what SHOULD happen.

What I am saying is it would be logistcally impossible for Villa to do it, and we would presumably have to bite the bullet and play the home leg first.

Think about it.

We have sold over 40,000 tickets for a game that is happening next week. If it was re-arranged, Villa would have to re-issue all those tickets for an unconfirmed date (in itself virtually impossible). Look at this week, they had a 100 or so returns and that had to be done on a voucher basis - can you imagine 40,000 tickets to do !

We would also lose TV revenue as, any other week there are premier fixtures, FA Cup or Champions League on the telly - so we wouldn't be on TV

If we re-arranged it - first of all we would have to get Arsenals permission, which they may give, but I bloody doubt Arsenal will create their own fixture pile up that could cost them the league and Champions League for our benefit - it won't happen.

So the next possible date is Feb 3rd (although dont know if Blackburn have any commitments).

So Villa / Blackburn / Leauge have two options.

Just play the Villa leg on Wednesday and least they only have to worry about a logistical nightmare re-arranging one game - or re-arrange both and it will cause chaos.

Other matters no one has thought of.

Don't you think the Villa have had to book and pay for police assistance for next Wednesday. What happens if Blues are playing Feb 3rd , are Burney playing next Wednesday at home ...etc....etc....etc......

It would cause chaos - mark my words - if Thursday is off - the Villa Park leg will be Wednesday.

The only option Villa would have is to request the Blackburn leg be played Monday.

Not far fetched - we played Liverpool and Arsenal in 48 hours - AND LOST (another thing that I am sure Allerdyce may look at - he ain't daft !)

EDIT

I forgot - we cant play Monday - we've got West Ham Sunday !! - (which just shows how hard it would be to re-arrange two games)

1) BBC and Sky share the rights to show the semi finals live. What other live games on the bbc would get in the way of showing the league cup semi-final? One of the ten championship games they show each year? Sky have multiple channels and could show more than one match.

2) League games are bottom of the priority list when it comes to rearranging matches. Cup games come first. So Arsenal would have to bite the bullet and postpone the game at the end of the month. This was discussed in the papers at the time of the first postponement and also in the last couple of days.

3) Same goes for if it clashes with when Blues are playing at home. The cup game would have priority.

4) As others have said, the order of the legs would never be swapped around regardless.

Well the snow that is still coming down is more like confetti and is not causing any probs locally. The forecast is for it stop in an hour or so. Then we see a chance of rain tomorrow with the thaw setting in. Sounds like we will be playing.

Well the snow that is still coming down is more like confetti and is not causing any probs locally. The forecast is for it stop in an hour or so. Then we see a chance of rain tomorrow with the thaw setting in. Sounds like we will be playing.

Sounds very promising :D Let's just hope it does rain like predicted.

A win is a must.

I wouldn't say a win is a must. We get them back here in less than a week for a 2nd chance. We mustn't do snything stupid (ala Bolton a few years ago) and we'll be just fine.

A win is a must.

another silly comment added to this thread. if we can go up there and get a draw with an away goal i would be very confident giong into the second leg.

Silly? Do you not think a win by a couple of goals would take the pressure off the second leg in what is a big and make it less of a big game in a huge backlog of fixtures?

I'd take a score draw from this first leg. Anything better would be a massive bonus

this

and you cant go by the weather, but hopefully after the almost disgraceful balls up by west ham/police at the weekend you'd hope they think twice before cancelling the game