The "Witton Lane" Boxing Chat Thread

Dr_Pangloss

Yeah.  He's not really done the prick routine for a while now tbf, I think once he made a few quid he chilled out.   

Think I said it earlier but I'm interested to see how Usyk does when he moves up, he's got class but are the top guys at heavyweight just too big?   There have not been many genuine success stories from cruiser to heavy, Holyfield is the obvious example and I guess Haye did OK but history will ultimately remember him as a crusierweight. 

Usyk is just  a beast. What a performance. How on earth did one of the judges have bellew up three rounds? Eddie Hearn corruption  at its best.

I would love to see him go up against wilder. He is a much better boxer than wilder and I think he would have a very good chance.

Firstly he needs to take a fight against someone like Miller or hughie fury. Someone who is a "ok" heavyweight but nothing special to see how he does.

10 hours ago, The_Rev said:

Yeah.  He's not really done the prick routine for a while now tbf, I think once he made a few quid he chilled out.   

Think I said it earlier but I'm interested to see how Usyk does when he moves up, he's got class but are the top guys at heavyweight just too big?   There have not been many genuine success stories from cruiser to heavy, Holyfield is the obvious example and I guess Haye did OK but history will ultimately remember him as a crusierweight. 

Usyk will ultimately prove to be too small. He has the footwork to embarrass all of the heavyweights, but I'd imagine he'd struggle to get inside on them, and I'm not sure he really has the arsenal to really hurt a top heavyweight. Nevertheless, it will be interesting.

2 hours ago, West said:

Sky's production as ever absolute cringe, blowing smoke up the British boxers arse throughout and apart from Malignaggi, they were literally presenting an alternate reality. Malignaggi invariably very good, we knew this from his work at Showtime (and his other work for Sky), at one point he even said directly that he doesn't see what they (Haye and Froch) were seeing with their scoring. Froch is a total know nothing, Haye really is just as bad, Adam Smith as irritating as ever, they need to realise that this is boxing, not a football match, the commentary should have insight and more impartiality. Sky's commentary whenever there's a British fighter against a foreign fighter amounts to nothing more than Fanzone. They need a massive clear out. 

Edited by Dr_Pangloss
  • Haha 1

19 hours ago, The_Rev said:

Let's not forget, there was a lot more talent in the heavyweight division when Holyfield was on the scene. 

What a fight that would have been, Holyfield v Usyk. If anyone has never seen it, then I recommend going to You Tube to watch Holyfield v Quai. The heavy version of Barrera v Morales.

Edited by sheepyvillian
  • Like 1

Spence - Garcia officially done. Although the disparity in weight takes the gloss off it slightly it's good to see great fights get made and this won't be as lopsided as people believe. Garcia will have 4 months to do the weight right. He fought and easily beat broner at light welter so he's not a million miles away from welter. However, Spence is a massive welterweight, a career welterweight who really hurts people at this weight. Garcia is probably a technically superior fighter but he'll have to be on point from 1-12. Can't see it. 

6 hours ago, Johnnyp said:

Spence - Garcia officially done. Although the disparity in weight takes the gloss off it slightly it's good to see great fights get made and this won't be as lopsided as people believe. Garcia will have 4 months to do the weight right. He fought and easily beat broner at light welter so he's not a million miles away from welter. However, Spence is a massive welterweight, a career welterweight who really hurts people at this weight. Garcia is probably a technically superior fighter but he'll have to be on point from 1-12. Can't see it. 

Like I said before easy fight for spence. Garcia is too small against a normal welterweight let alone a big one in spence. Spence wins pretty comfortably and I think it will be a stoppage.

Â