The "Witton Lane" Boxing Chat Thread

Dr_Pangloss

3 minutes ago, Dr_Pangloss said:

I really have no interest in Crawford, he's a 31 year old, 3 weight world champ with not a single A level boxer on his resume. His resume at best has B- level opponents on it. Yes he's very good but for god sake he needs a real test for once in his career. He struggled a hell of a lot with a vastly smaller Gamboa, that fight shouldn't be forgotten. 

Agreed, Spence will destroy him with them body shots.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Dr_Pangloss said:

I really have no interest in Crawford, he's a 31 year old, 3 weight world champ with not a single A level boxer on his resume. His resume at best has B- level opponents on it. Yes he's very good but for god sake he needs a real test for once in his career. He struggled a hell of a lot with a vastly smaller Gamboa, that fight shouldn't be forgotten. 

I agree he needs more names however like wilder he can only beat what’s in front of him. Crawford will clean up this division he will beat porter Thurman (if he ever c9mes back) etc. Only one that will cause him problems is spence. Spence i# much bigger than himthat will be the difference.

you can’t deny though Crawford has talent great talent at that.

2 hours ago, Demitri_C said:

I agree he needs more names however like wilder he can only beat what’s in front of him. Crawford will clean up this division he will beat porter Thurman (if he ever c9mes back) etc. Only one that will cause him problems is spence. Spence i# much bigger than himthat will be the difference.

you can’t deny though Crawford has talent great talent at that.

He has talent definitely, he is very good, but 'great' remains to be seen because you only see if someone is great based on the quality of opponents they beat. 

I look at Lomachenko and see both a better boxer and someone who has achieved a hell of a lot more than Crawford in almost a third of the number of fights Crawford has had. Crawford is just overrated to me.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Dr_Pangloss said:

He has talent definitely, he is very good, but 'great' remains to be seen because you only see if someone is great based on the quality of opponents they beat. 

I look at Lomachenko and see both a better boxer and someone who has achieved a hell of a lot more than Crawford in almost a third of the number of fights Crawford has had. Crawford is just overrated to me.

But then you could say same about wilder? He only has Ortiz who is half decent on his cv.

crawford  is a unbelievable boxer. He adopts, can box in the inside and is very clever. He beats everyone in this division barring spence in my opinion.

So instead of a lifetime ban for doping Canelo is rewarded with a 11 fight $365m contract with DAZN

Canelo Alvarez signs 5-year, 11-fight deal worth minimum $365 million with DAZN

As the old saying goes, as one door closes, another one opens.

Oscar De La Hoya's Golden Boy Promotions stable of fighters, including Canelo Alvarez, the unified middleweight world champion and boxing's biggest superstar, have long been stalwarts of HBO. But with the premium cable network's recent announcement that after 45 years of putting on most of the biggest fights in boxing it was bowing out of the sport at the end of the year, they were in need of a new broadcast home -- and they have landed a very lucrative one with new sports streaming service DAZN through 2023.

In a record-shattering deal finalized early Wednesday morning, Alvarez signed a five-year, 11-fight deal worth a minimum of $365 million with DAZN, which only launched in the United States in September.

http://www.espn.co.uk/boxing/story/_/id/25003974/canelo-alvarez-signs-5-year-11-fight-deal-worth-365-million-dazn

Money talks unfortunately. Who is this fielding he is fighting? It's one class up is canelo likely to get beaten to a pulp? He isn't the biggest middleweight so to step up to super middleweight will be interesting-although as stated mot sure how good fielding is.

1 hour ago, Demitri_C said:

Money talks unfortunately. Who is this fielding he is fighting? It's one class up is canelo likely to get beaten to a pulp? He isn't the biggest middleweight so to step up to super middleweight will be interesting-although as stated mot sure how good fielding is.

Fielding is tall, and looked a decent prospect before he went in with Callum Smith, who KO'd him in one round.

I've watched a few of his fights since and he hasn't looked particularly good, his chin doesn't look great either.

Canelo should make fairly easy work of him despite the height difference, especially to the body.

6 hours ago, West said:

This is a staggering, sport changing deal. Every man and their dog will now want to be on the Dazn platform. A certain Frank Warren will be extremely fidgety right now. 

Proof that you are Eddie Hearn. 

Canelo doesn't have a massive following outside of the Mexicans.

On 14/10/2018 at 22:00, Demitri_C said:

But then you could say same about wilder? He only has Ortiz who is half decent on his cv.

crawford  is a unbelievable boxer. He adopts, can box in the inside and is very clever. He beats everyone in this division barring spence in my opinion.

I would say the same about Wilder, but then, wilder is not considered one of the pound for pound best in the World. That's the difference between the two.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Dr_Pangloss said:

Proof that you are Eddie Hearn. 

Canelo doesn't have a massive following outside of the Mexicans.

just the 127m people in mexico and estimated 36m mexicans living in america...

the mexican boxing audience at a lazy guess would be comfortably bigger than the british one

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Dr_Pangloss said:

There's no way he fights 11 times in 5 years.

Fighting fielding in December ( rare for canelo to fight in December). Then over the course of the next 5 years he will presumably fight May 5th weekend ( cinco de mayo) and Mexican independence weekend which is mid Sept sometime like he did Golovkin this year . 11 fights in 5 years. Staggering deal for canelo and golden boy. This DAZN must have some serious coin...p.s only found out their is a boxing forum here today !!!

Spence might end up fighting Mikey Garcia next if talk is to be believed. That would be massively competitive if Garcia weren't jumping up 2 weight divisions. Spence should deal with him. I can't see lomachenko going further than light welter personally. Linares dropped him with a handy shot in his last fight. He is crazy talented but still. 

6 hours ago, Johnnyp said:

Spence might end up fighting Mikey Garcia next if talk is to be believed. That would be massively competitive if Garcia weren't jumping up 2 weight divisions. Spence should deal with him. I can't see lomachenko going further than light welter personally. Linares dropped him with a handy shot in his last fight. He is crazy talented but still. 

I think garcia get knocked easily by Spence. Garcia is tiny. Its madness for Garcia to even consider this fight.

2 hours ago, Demitri_C said:

Mayweather saying the khabib fight will happen. Khabib is a worse boxer than McGregor.

This woukd be the most stupidest fight ever.

With Mayweather it's all about the money, he's already cemented his legacy in the World of boxing, so as stupid as that fight sounds, if it pays the bills, then as far as Mayweather is concerned, that's all that matters. 

14 hours ago, Johnnyp said:

Fighting fielding in December ( rare for canelo to fight in December). Then over the course of the next 5 years he will presumably fight May 5th weekend ( cinco de mayo) and Mexican independence weekend which is mid Sept sometime like he did Golovkin this year . 11 fights in 5 years. Staggering deal for canelo and golden boy. This DAZN must have some serious coin...p.s only found out their is a boxing forum here today !!!

DAZN is going to be the Netflix of boxing & there is a high probability it signals the end of PPV in the US. 

Â