The "Witton Lane" Boxing Chat Thread

Dr_Pangloss

1 minute ago, West said:

The commentator who had Hughie well up lol. Embarrassing stuff. Awful fight really largely due to defensive tactics of Hughie

That's the thing, there's defensive boxing and then there's pure negativity and spoiling, Fury did far too much of the latter.

3 minutes ago, OutByEaster? said:

I thought Parker edged it - I thought Fury would get the nod on the cards. Close one - I think they'll do it again at some point.

Hope not. Nobody wants to see this. Much rather see Parker v Whyte. Two guys who stay in the pocket and trade off would make a good scrap. 

Wasn't exciting but it was entertaining enough i guess. Harsh scoring on Fury, no way he lost 10 rounds. Don't think he did enough to win but neither did Parker, Certainly not by those margins. Thought the 114-114 was probably about right. 

As for Barry Jones scoring, Well it's Barry Jones, his scoring is always worse than Adalaide Byrds.

11 minutes ago, West said:

Hope not. Nobody wants to see this. Much rather see Parker v Whyte. Two guys who stay in the pocket and trade off would make a good scrap. 

They only sold just over 6000 tickets for tonight so not many wanted to see even this one. 21,000 arena, whole top tier closed off and entire blocks of empty seats. Much like Saunders at the copperbox last week which was at best half full.  When nosebleed tickets are £40/50 they simply are not going to sell in huge numbers.

Doubt they will release the youtube PPV numbers but there were less than 8000 watching the free undercard

I would actually like to see this. Whyte would be far more agressive than Fury https://twitter.com/DillianWhyte/status/911723703318269952

Edited by LakotaDakota

On 22/09/2017 at 09:49, Dr_Pangloss said:

LOL this is true. Linares is a very classy boxer but no where near a pound for pound top 10 list, also has a terrible chin. Campbell might actually have a good shot of winning, he is naturally much bigger than Linares.

Fury ,just not big or strong enough ,imo, to mix it with the real big boys .

6 hours ago, leemond2008 said:

I've gone for parker and Linares to win via points 

£5 gets me a £77 return.

woohoo

Pretty good odds that was, Parker and Hughie was always going to go the distance, two pillow fisted giants slugging it out, I thought it was a terrible fight, I doubt if AJ bothered paying for the PPV, he probably had less interest in that fight than anyone else.

Luckily I'm an early bird an I woke up just before 5am and managed to catch the last few rounds of the Campbell fight.

He was dropped pretty heavily in the second but from the highlights I saw he didn't look too hurt from it, going for the points on my bet was a bit risky because both of these have got questionable chins, Campbell believes he won but from what I saw you can't go anywhere near calling it a robbery, just a good close fight from what I saw.

• Like 2

Selling tickets in Arenas is very difficult when you hide the TV coverage behind a paywall. The sporting public at large have been separated from boxing - in the days when Benn and Eubank were on live terrestrial TV they were huge stars - casual sports fans knew who they were, nowadays, unless you're looking for boxing it rarely finds you.

• Like 2

No thanks to a rematch wity fury vs parker. Fury is a boring boxer like that chav saunders. 

Parker now has to fight someone like whyte or winner of bellew-hayes  as i think he would get destroyed by joshua or wilder at present. He needs some tougher opponents.

Fury for me is a boring and negative boxer. The score cards were harsh but he lost the fight regardless. Wasnt doing enough.

• Like 1

Â